Headaches from green tea?

Options

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    shoni2122 wrote: »
    I drink this dieter tea that helps clean me out after my last meal of the day. When I wake up the next morning I have migraine. I have it for days... And I take excedrin like candy!!! Maybe because the tea sucks all the water out of me. Is that possible?

Think you are confused.

If the green tea is causing you to have a migraine then why drink it?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    I drink this dieter tea that helps clean me out after my last meal of the day. When I wake up the next morning I have migraine. I have it for days... And I take excedrin like candy!!! Maybe because the tea sucks all the water out of me. Is that possible?

Think you are confused.

Because it's 'dieter tea.' Duh. ;)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Why are you doing this to yourself?

This doesn't sound like healthy behavior.

Something you are using as a daily laxative (unnecessary and a red flag) gives you migraines. Instead of not drinking it, you take too many Excedrins to counter it?

Why feel the need to clean yourself out?

Why suffer with migraines?

• SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options

Think you are confused.

This isn't in reference to the OP's diet tea, this is just from my POV.

Sometimes you just feeling like a nice cup of tea! I use to drink it all the time when I got headaches, luckily I found one that doesn't do it. But sometimes, you just really need a cup of tea, and the headache is worth it. However, in saying that, I have persistent tension headaches, so it doesn't make much of a difference to me.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

Think you are confused.

I was asking the OP actually because I was gauging her understanding of what she thinks she is doing and why she feels the need to use green tea. Thanks for the help though.

Do you get migraines? Do you know how painful and debilitating they are?
  • PeachyCarol
    edited May 2015
    Options

Think you are confused.

I was asking the OP actually because I was gauging her understanding of what she thinks she is doing and why she feels the need to use green tea. Thanks for the help though.

If the OP is popping Excedrin for her migraines, they are not the debilitating sort. They are the kind my neurologist wouldn't even consider migraines.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Think you are confused.

Psst...I think that person was making a joke...playing off the idea that "dieting" is all discomfort and suffering.

Thank you. <3

A+ for a sense of humour. :) I guess the little winky emoticon in my post was overlooked. Poor winky emoticon. :neutral:
  • shoni2122
    shoni2122 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was just asking because I think I'm getting my migraines from the green tea. I will stop drinking it for two days and drink it again on the 3rd day to see if this tea is really giving me migraines/headaches. I thought I was going crazy and wanted to know if anyone else experiences the symptoms I do. But the only reason I drink this tea is because it has helped me lose weight before! I have lost 90lbs in 6 months with this tea. Now I have gained weight so I am back on my diet. I started on Friday and has lost 7lbs in three days by eating right, excercising and drinking green tea. Is this bad or not?
  • shoni2122
    edited May 2015
    Options

Think you are confused.

I've always had migraines... They are so painful at times. I've been checked by my docs and they said there is nothing wrong with me.
  • shoni2122
    Options

Something you are using as a daily laxative (unnecessary and a red flag) gives you migraines. Instead of not drinking it, you take too many Excedrins to counter it?

I constantly battle with my weight. So for me, drinking this dieter tea helps me lose weight.
  • shoni2122
    Options

Curious as to why you feel you need to clean yourself out after your last meal of the day?

Because I feel bloated if I don't use the bathroom. Sometimes I go days without doing a number two... Lol
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    I was just asking because I think I'm getting my migraines from the green tea. I will stop drinking it for two days and drink it again on the 3rd day to see if this tea is really giving me migraines/headaches. I thought I was going crazy and wanted to know if anyone else experiences the symptoms I do. But the only reason I drink this tea is because it has helped me lose weight before! I have lost 90lbs in 6 months with this tea. Now I have gained weight so I am back on my diet. I started on Friday and has lost 7lbs in three days by eating right, excercising and drinking green tea. Is this bad or not?

It's horrible. You're probably dehydrated.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

I constantly battle with my weight. So for me, drinking this dieter tea helps me lose weight.

Sorry, but learning how to address your issues with food will help you win your battles with it for once and for all.

Leaning on laxatives as a crutch is disordered behavior. Please stop.

You are dehydrating yourself and likely causing your migraines by doing so.

You are abusing your body.

• shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I get headaches from it, yes.

For me, it's a histamine issue. Green tea can trigger a release of histamine in people with certain conditions, and some seem prone to it for unknown reasons. The increased histamine often causes headaches, including migraines. If it's not triggered by an increase in IgE, however, most run of the mill tests won't detect anything wrong, and most docs only do the run of the mill tests, you know?

I have a disorder where I'm prone to excessive release of histamine and it took over 20 years before they did the right test, even though it was basically a blood and urine test. Doctors not finding anything wrong doesn't mean there IS nothing wrong. Considering that you have continuing pain, I'd say their statement that nothing is wrong is a good sign to get a new set of doctors.

With a lot of headaches like you have, Shoni2122, and the problem with green tea, you might want to check out something called a histamine intolerance. It's where the body doesn't seem to be able to break down histamine like it should, so certain foods and activities that increase histamine levels can end up triggering symptoms, like headaches. If it's severe, there are many more symptoms, but for those with a mild version of this, it can sometimes just be headaches, essentially.

This gal below has the same condition and has done a lot of research. Her blog has some good information, some informative interviews with doctors who study this in the UK (in the USA, it's relatively unstudied and unknown), and ways to help cope that might be relevant. Wishing you good luck - the headaches all the time are just crushing sometimes. i hope you feel better soon.

http://lowhistaminechef.com
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else get headaches from drinking green tea?

I get headaches if I drink too much caffeine, and green tea has caffeine. Could it be that?
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Think you are confused.

I've always had migraines... They are so painful at times. I've been checked by my docs and they said there is nothing wrong with me.

Oh my, I remember migraines, and they were horrid! I used to get them before I learned I was lactose intolerant. Once I cut out all dairy, they went away. Now I can eat limited dairy (yogurt, lactose free dairy).
  • SLLRunner
    Options

The only reason you are losing weight while drinking this tea is because you are eating at a calorie deficit. Green tea has zero special properties for weight loss. You are simply replacing calories with tea, that's it. :)

If drinking beverages helps you not eat as much, have you thought of water, decaf tea, or another kind of tea?
  • SLLRunner
    Options

That's entirely different than just drinking a regular green tea.

This is likely a dehydration issue. Dehydration is a major migraine trigger.

It sure is.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Curious as to why you feel you need to clean yourself out after your last meal of the day?

Because I feel bloated if I don't use the bathroom. Sometimes I go days without doing a number two... Lol

The more you rely on laxatives, the more your bowels will become lazy. The way to achieve a daily bowel movement naturally is not through a dehydrating laxative tea but the very opposite - making sure you are very well hydrated and having enough fiber and fat in your diet.

ETA: It's a bit like losing weight actually - there is the long-term solution which requires work and patience and then there is the "easy" "solution". Just saying.