Eat calories???

Fazeng
Fazeng Posts: 11 Member
Hey, someone told me that we have to eat back the burned calories. Does that mean even if I workout and burned 300 calories, then I have to eat extra 300 calories ?

Replies

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    That is how MFP is designed and set up.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited May 2015
    On average
    If you are trying to cut and you are losing more than your goal every week, yes you should be eating them back.

If you are trying to bulk and are not gaining your goal weight yes.

If you are maintaining and losing weight, then yes.

If you are maintaining and gaining weight, then no.

If you are maintaining and no weight change, then don't change anything.
  • jediguitarist
    jediguitarist Posts: 73 Member
    Depends if you're on a deficit. Most people will eat back about half the calories burned. Let's say If you're trying to lose 1lb a week at 1700 calories without exercise. If you burn 300 calories without eating them back, you will net 1400 calories for the day. You risk not getting enough nutrition.

I'm trying to gain weight so I make sure to eat back all of my exercise calories.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    On average
    If you are trying to cut and you are losing more than your goal every week, yes you should be eating them back.

If you are trying to bulk and are not gaining your goal weight yes.

If you are maintaining and losing weight, then yes.

If you are maintaining and gaining weight, then no.

If you are maintaining and no weight change, then don't change anything.

This is nice. Thanks for posting that. You really have to go by the data you have. For me, I found that MFP basically gave me my TDEE, so I can't eat back exercise calories at the moment.

When you're first starting though, and if you're logging correctly-try eating back a portion of the exercise calories (they are usually over estimated) and adjust accordingly. If you can eat more and lose, why not?
  • Fazeng
    Fazeng Posts: 11 Member
    Depends if you're on a deficit. Most people will eat back about half the calories burned. Let's say If you're trying to lose 1lb a week at 1700 calories without exercise. If you burn 300 calories without eating them back, you will net 1400 calories for the day. You risk not getting enough nutrition.

I'm trying to gain weight so I make sure to eat back all of my exercise calories.

I thought more calories left/positive number of calories means better and will bring better result, doesn't it?
  • kerbeya1
    kerbeya1 Posts: 53 Member
    Sitting through a wellness class for college you still take in the calories and it still goes towards what you have eaten. And you don't eat it your calories back if your are losing weight. Makes since to me. If you try and lose weight and you eat all the calories back wounding you just maintain? Correct me if I'm wrong!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    kerbeya1 wrote: »
    If you try and lose weight and you eat all the calories back wounding you just maintain? Correct me if I'm wrong!

You're wrong.
    The deficit worked out for you ignores exercise.

So exercise creates "extra" deficit - which isn't necessarily a good thing.