Feeling Defeated Today

Options
:'(

Sprained my ankle pretty bad on Friday, it's all swollen and although I can walk on it, any other movement really hurts. I'm good with handling pain (lupus and arthritis sufferer!) and the pain when catching my foot wrong makes me wince!!

I've sort of slipped into sulking. I've eaten rubbish today and feeling really down because I can't exercise well.
I need a motivational speech or two!
What kind of things can I do without using my legs?!!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Hey! Hope you feeling better. I'm not sure how badly the pain is. Can you do some yoga? It's fine to take a break from exercise. Keep your deficit and you'll continue losing, or heck-eat at maintenance or little below for the week and accept the stall.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    just sitting in a chair, boxing your arms can get your hr up. also you just honor yourself by resting for a few days, no shame in that. be kind.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    If I'm hurting THAT bad, I'd eat at/near maintenance and wait it out.

I can handle a calorie deficit much easier if I'm feeling good, and exercise helps keep me feeling good. If I'm hurting AND can't exercise AND can't eat as much, I'm not someone anyone wants to be around.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I have injuries that prevent me from running, I focus instead on ab exercises and upper body stuff. You could most likely still do planks, crunches, pushups, etc. That makes me feel like I'm still workig out, even though it doesn't burn nearly as many calories.
  • NerdyNix
    NerdyNix Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Won't be able to planks but could probably manage sit ups and push ups. Thanks :)
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    If I'm hurting THAT bad, I'd eat at/near maintenance and wait it out.

I can handle a calorie deficit much easier if I'm feeling good, and exercise helps keep me feeling good. If I'm hurting AND can't exercise AND can't eat as much, I'm not someone anyone wants to be around.

^^^ This

Skipping a week or two isn't going to kill your progress. There are just some instances where we have to let it go for a little while and then get back at it. I'm of the opinion that a break never hurt anybody as long as the break doesn't become permanent :smiley:

• NerdyNix
    Options
    That's what I worry about. With Lupus I have flares and remissions. Right now things are great. Not had any major lupus problems for over a month so I worry that if I don't take advantage and work out while I can, the flare will come and sideline me again
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have 2- 3 lb. weights by my recliner in my living room. On days I don't go to the gym, I do upper body stuff while watching the tube at night. It keeps my body and mind busy, and makes me feel good about what I am doing. This, in turn helps to steel my wool and choose not to eat in the evening ( high sodium and sugary snacks). There is also ab crunches you can do. I have been sick all week with a nasty head cold and weepy eyes. My trainer and I talked about it and decided it is best not to bring the crud to the gym and infect everybody, so I kept it at home, and just did my home site exercises. I still got a workout. I am looking forward to getting back to my routine. I just know my trainer is going to kick my butt in the training area, royally.
  • sadiqajamilla
    sadiqajamilla Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    NerdyNix wrote: »
    That's what I worry about. With Lupus I have flares and remissions. Right now things are great. Not had any major lupus problems for over a month so I worry that if I don't take advantage and work out while I can, the flare will come and sideline me again
    I have Lupus to and it can be pretty tough during a flare. Just for now adjust your activity level to sedentary and take it easy. As you and I both know stress will take you out of remission. Do light stretching, arm and tummy exercises. Calories burned are calories burned no matter what part of your body triggers the burn ;) hang in there!
  • NerdyNix
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thank you :)