gained 6 pounds of muscle, lost 2 pounds fat....help with nutrition and fat loss...

Replies

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    @moi...I think in the past 3 weeks or so I've been logging with MFP...before that, following a hand out. While my goals are to be smaller, i realky like my shape I just want to be smaller. ..I was about 15 pounds lighter at this time last year and if I spray tanned , I was comfortable in a bikini. ..now I am most certainly not. I was doing jillian Michaels tapes last year...after stopping in the fall and holidays, I decided to spend a considerable amount of money and hire a personal trainer....but I'm not hitting goals and maybe I should just go back to my DVDs...does that sound crazy?

It doesn't sound crazy at all. Three months is usually enough to know if the trainer is giving you advice that works for you...assuming you are doing your part and following their plan. However, if you have only been logging three weeks, it's possible your calories were higher before, which would explain the small gain in weight. One idea is to be very strict with the logging and see what happens in the next few weeks and make a final evaluation. If you like your results, stick with it. If not, save your money and go back to the DVDs. You know that works for you. That's what I would do at least.

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited May 2015
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Ang108 wrote: »
    I've been working with a personal trainer for 3 months now, lifting heavy 3x/week. We did measurements and calculations today...I'm still cubbies than I want to be, but I've gained 6 pounds of muscle, and lost 2 pounds of fat (according to the head trainer who did my calculations). My question is ...what can I do to lost more fat? I'm really getting discouraged. I am still in an 8-10 clothing size and will be covering up this summer at the lake if I can't get my weight under control. I've been eating 1200-1300 cals per day...I'm short, and would like to be wearing a size 6 again...any advice?

With all due respect, there are several things in your post that don't quite make sense.
    Muscle gain is next to impossible when eating at a deficit......you can't make something out of nothing.
    And since you are exercising and working with a PT there also will be no newbie gains, which are minimal anyway.
    Even if you have gained some muscle, there is no way that it is six pounds in three month, because the hormonal make-up of women just makes this impossible.
    It is also not possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, because in order to lose fat you have to eat at a deficit and in order to gain muscle you have to eat at least at a slight increase. I think what is happening is that as you are losing fat your muscles become more visible. They are muscles you always had and not new ones.
    I don't quite understand what is wrong with a size 8-10 even for a short person ( I am under five feet myself ), but in order to lose fat you just have to keep eating at a deficit and exercise.
    On a personal note, I would probably have another trainer check my numbers again, because no matter if he is the head trainer or not, he is maybe just telling you stuff to impress you and keep you as a customer. Maybe you'd like to check with the weight lifting group here in MFP. Many of them are very knowledgeable when it comes to lifting and diet and I am sure they will tell you pretty much the same thing.
    Good Luck !

It is definitely possible, but limited to individuals new to lifting.

no it's not eating at her levels doing a little lifting (3 months worth)...using calipers to measure....please.

I am not sure where you are getting your information but you need to regroup and re-evaluate.

Wow really? My comment was directed to the very general statement of "it's not possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time", it is possible. I already said that OP likely didn't gain muscle, and especially with her diet and routine. Why are you twisting my words?

How did I twist anything...you said calipers were precise...they are not.

If that comment was directed at the particular statement then make it more clear...as your statement was...it is possible...but limited to individuals new to lifting....which makes it sound like her scenario is plausible.

Calipers are precise if used correctly. If you measure the same spots in the same way every week they will give you a mm reading which will show you if there is less fat on those spots or not, and thus they will be precise. They will show a trend over time if you are loosing BF or not, but they wont necessarily be accurate like you said.

As for my comment about gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time, it was in response to the general statement that it was not possible. It is possible for some people, and that comment had nothing to do with OP's current routine and whether or not she could gain muscle and lose fat while doing that routine. It was purely saying, yes, it is possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.

We will have to agree to disagree on the calipers...I do not believe they are accurate for anything...human error makes is so.

You're confusing the words "Precision" and "Accuracy" they are two completely different things:

http://www.ncsu.edu/labwrite/Experimental Design/accuracyprecision.htm

I think the only thing calipers are good for are showing a trend as long as the person doing the measuring is "precise" but other than that...nope...even dexa/bod pods can be off due to hydration levels...

To your first point. That is exactly what I said.

To the second point. Dexa has nothing to do with hydration levels. Dexa measures the attenuation levels of x-rays in soft tissues and bone and is pretty accurate. Bod Pod has a pretty big error and a lot of factors that effect it, so I agree, it's not a good tool to use.

Bioimpedence scales / handhelds, definitely are affected by hydration since they measure the resistance of your body, and since water conducts much better than fat, you'll get imprecise and inaccurate readings.

Edit: I shouldn't have said "nothing to do with hydration levels" there will be a fluctuation in your fat free mass due to hydration which could affect any body fat measurement by a small percentage. This is a second order effect, and could throw off a measurement by about +/-1.5%, which is close as you can get to measuring body fat %.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited May 2015
    Calipers are precise if used correctly. If you measure the same spots in the same way every week they will give you a mm reading which will show you if there is less fat on those spots or not, and thus they will be precise. They will show a trend over time if you are loosing BF or not, but they wont necessarily be accurate like you said.

From what I understand it's down to the skill and consistency of the person doing the measurements. There's a sports science institute where I live that offers both methods (calipers and DEXA scan); they did a research study showing their results using the calipers were just as accurate.
    They also issue very specific instructions, for example you're not allowed to exercise on the day of the test beforehand as it affects the thickness of the skin (?!) or something.
  • avedaprincess
    avedaprincess Posts: 12 Member
    Thanks everyone for your help :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I've been working with a personal trainer for 3 months now, lifting heavy 3x/week. We did measurements and calculations today...I'm still cubbies than I want to be, but I've gained 6 pounds of muscle, and lost 2 pounds of fat (according to the head trainer who did my calculations). My question is ...what can I do to lost more fat? I'm really getting discouraged. I am still in an 8-10 clothing size and will be covering up this summer at the lake if I can't get my weight under control. I've been eating 1200-1300 cals per day...I'm short, and would like to be wearing a size 6 again...any advice?

With all due respect, there are several things in your post that don't quite make sense.
    Muscle gain is next to impossible when eating at a deficit......you can't make something out of nothing.
    And since you are exercising and working with a PT there also will be no newbie gains, which are minimal anyway.
    Even if you have gained some muscle, there is no way that it is six pounds in three month, because the hormonal make-up of women just makes this impossible.
    It is also not possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, because in order to lose fat you have to eat at a deficit and in order to gain muscle you have to eat at least at a slight increase. I think what is happening is that as you are losing fat your muscles become more visible. They are muscles you always had and not new ones.
    I don't quite understand what is wrong with a size 8-10 even for a short person ( I am under five feet myself ), but in order to lose fat you just have to keep eating at a deficit and exercise.
    On a personal note, I would probably have another trainer check my numbers again, because no matter if he is the head trainer or not, he is maybe just telling you stuff to impress you and keep you as a customer. Maybe you'd like to check with the weight lifting group here in MFP. Many of them are very knowledgeable when it comes to lifting and diet and I am sure they will tell you pretty much the same thing.
    Good Luck !

no it's not eating at her levels doing a little lifting (3 months worth)...using calipers to measure....please.

I am not sure where you are getting your information but you need to regroup and re-evaluate.

Wow really? My comment was directed to the very general statement of "it's not possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time", it is possible. I already said that OP likely didn't gain muscle, and especially with her diet and routine. Why are you twisting my words?

If that comment was directed at the particular statement then make it more clear...as your statement was...it is possible...but limited to individuals new to lifting....which makes it sound like her scenario is plausible.

As for my comment about gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time, it was in response to the general statement that it was not possible. It is possible for some people, and that comment had nothing to do with OP's current routine and whether or not she could gain muscle and lose fat while doing that routine. It was purely saying, yes, it is possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.

We will have to agree to disagree on the calipers...I do not believe they are accurate for anything...human error makes is so.

You're confusing the words "Precision" and "Accuracy" they are two completely different things:

I think the only thing calipers are good for are showing a trend as long as the person doing the measuring is "precise" but other than that...nope...even dexa/bod pods can be off due to hydration levels...

To the second point. Dexa has nothing to do with hydration levels. Dexa measures the attenuation levels of x-rays in soft tissues and bone and is pretty accurate. Bod Pod has a pretty big error and a lot of factors that effect it, so I agree, it's not a good tool to use.

Bioimpedence scales / handhelds, definitely are affected by hydration since they measure the resistance of your body, and since water conducts much better than fat, you'll get imprecise and inaccurate readings.

Edit: I shouldn't have said "nothing to do with hydration levels" there will be a fluctuation in your fat free mass due to hydration which could affect any body fat measurement by a small percentage. This is a second order effect, and could throw off a measurement by about +/-1.5%, which is close as you can get to measuring body fat %.

If you said it shows the trend you were did not use good language to do so...as I reread what you posted and I don't see where you said you can see "trends".

And glad to see you edited your other post...
  • galgenstrick

Good Luck !

If you said it shows the trend you were did not use good language to do so...as I reread what you posted and I don't see where you said you can see "trends".

Saying something is "precise" should imply that it can be used to show a trend. That's what precision is used for.

And yes, I did edit my post because my initial statement was incorrect.
  • avedaprincess
    avedaprincess Posts: 12 Member
    Alright, I made an appointment with a nutrionist at my doctors office. I'm cancelling trainer next week. Thanks to everyone for help. I'll get this figured out somehow!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member

Good Luck !

Precisely inaccurate is still inaccurate.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Precisely inaccurate is still inaccurate.

Yep, but say the calipers give you 28, 27, 26, 25...even if your true, accurate BF% was 32, 31, 30, 29...you still know you are going in the right direction. And really, if you are happy with how your body looks, who cares if your "true" BF% is 20% or 22%?

Now, if you have someone getting imprecise measurements, and they measured 28, 31, 26, 30, that would be useless information.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member

Good Luck !

If you understood the difference between "precise" and "accurate" you'd be able to understand the implications of what he wrote.

He used exactly the right language. It's your understanding that's faulty.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    wow 6lbs of muscle in 3 months, that is quite a feat for a woman even eating at a surplus lifting heavy...get a new trainer...new gym...whatever you need to get the truth.

I've been lifting for 2 years and in a deficit 18months of that 2 years...maintenance for 6 months..I might have gained 1lb of muscle while in maintenance from recomp...and I was eating 1800 a day getting in at least 110 grams of protein.

i want to know where this magical land is that I can eat 1200 calories a day and gain 6 pounds of muscle in three months…..
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited May 2015

Good Luck !

How can calipers test visceral fat? @galgenstrick
    Hydration level. You do know there is a fast period before you do a bod pod right? So that whole comment is completely false. Lots of wrong in this thread.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Alright, I made an appointment with a nutrionist at my doctors office. I'm cancelling trainer next week. Thanks to everyone for help. I'll get this figured out somehow!

I would suggest that you keep lifting heavy. Look into starting strength, new rules of lifting for woman, or strong lifts.

Also, if you are not accurately logging all your food and using a food scale than a nutritionist is not really going to help.

I would suggest tightening up your logging, getting a food scale, and getting on a structured lifting program for four weeks and see what happens.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

Good Luck !

Saying something is "precise" should imply that it can be used to show a trend. That's what precision is used for.

The calipers may be precise, the person doing the measuring isn't though. Measure accidentally at a little bit different place on your body than last time and you get a different reading.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

Good Luck !

If you understood the difference between "precise" and "accurate" you'd be able to understand the implications of what he wrote.

no it's not...

precision is defined as marked by exactness and accuracy of expression or detail, the quality, condition or fact of being exact and accurate.

accuracy is defined as correct in all details; exact

Funny how accuracy is in the definition of precise...I get precision is how reproducible measurements are but calipers are neither accurate nor precise for most people...I don't even like them for tending unless you are accurate in the measurements which most aren't.

So again my original statements stands...calipers are not precise nor accurate in 99% of situations, and let me quote here from the person I was disagreeing with

my understanding is fine thanks...
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited May 2015

Good Luck !

no it's not...

precision is defined as marked by exactness and accuracy of expression or detail, the quality, condition or fact of being exact and accurate.

Funny how accuracy is in the definition of precise...I get precision is how reproducible measurements are but calipers are neither accurate nor precise for most people...I don't even like them for tending unless you are accurate in the measurements which most aren't.

So again my original statements stands...calipers are not precise nor accurate in 99% of situations, and let me quote here from the person I was disagreeing with

No. Just no. You don't grasp it at all. You're using definitions that have nothing to do with the context.

"In the fields of science, engineering, industry, and statistics, the accuracy of a measurement system is the degree of closeness of measurements of a quantity to that quantity's true value. The precision of a measurement system, related to reproducibility and repeatability, is the degree to which repeated measurements under unchanged conditions show the same results."

Precision, in this context, has ZERO to do with accuracy. It has to do with repeatability. If you can't get that, that's on you. A thermometer that is always off by the same amount from the actual temperature isn't accurate, but it is precise. It's not that hard to see the difference.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    The calipers, as an instrument, are precise. The measurement system which includes the operator is not. The outcome is inaccurate.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited May 2015
    Can someone tell me how calipers measure visceral fat? Or is the answer you can't therefore makes it almost a wasteful attempt to say anything that cannot be expressed with clothing, pictures, and mirrors.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member

Good Luck !

no it's not...

No. Just no. You don't grasp it at all. You're using definitions that have nothing to do with the context.

"In the fields of science, engineering, industry, and statistics, the accuracy of a measurement system is the degree of closeness of measurements of a quantity to that quantity's true value. The precision of a measurement system, related to reproducibility and repeatability, is the degree to which repeated measurements under unchanged conditions show the same results."

Precision, in this context, has ZERO to do with accuracy. It has to do with repeatability. If you can't get that, that's on you. A thermometer that is always off by the same amount from the actual temperature isn't accurate, but it is precise. It's not that hard to see the difference.

Even though this has spiraled into an argument, I will try to deflect and say recomp as well. You can gain muscle and lose bf%. It always gets left out.

• galgenstrick

Good Luck !

The calipers may be precise, the person doing the measuring isn't though. Measure accidentally at a little bit different place on your body than last time and you get a different reading.

I thought we already covered that point. That's why I suggested doing it yourself and not getting it done at the gym. I can very precisely pinch the same spots on my body. Just pick a reference point like a birthmark or blemish or something near the skinfold location, or use a tape measure.