Struggling!

Options
Hello everyone! My name is Gemma!

I started the 5:2 diet a few months back and I am really struggling! For those of you that dont know what the 5:2 diet is its where you eat 1/4 of your daily allowance for any 2/7 days and eat your daily allowance for the remaining 5/7.

I've managed to complete a few fasts here and there but I can't maintain it! Today I planned to fast... It got to around 20:00hrs and it got way too much for me and I went and bought al sorts of junk food and consumed about 2000calories! I do this often, and I now weight more than I did before I ever started dieting! I then get really low and eat even more..

I really want to lose weight and I am so unhappy with my body! I'm 4ft11 and weigh 10 stone 6 so my BMI is very high and my daily calorie allowance is very little!

Any advice would be much appreciated! Feel free to add me for support!

Replies

• alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If it's too mentally taxing (I doubt I could manage that for more than a month or so) you may be better just working out your TDEE and eating 250-500 calories less than it every day.

If not you could just eat A LOT of veggies on the fasting days. They have very few calories but are still filling!
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You're BMI isn't "really high" surely? I'm the same height as you and your weight is a mini goal for me. Aren't you like 146lbs or so? So a BMI of about 29. Mine was 52 in Jan...now that is huge.

It sounds to me that IF is just something that doesn't work for you. You don't have to do things you cant handle or hate :-).
  • GemeliaFP
    GemeliaFP Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I shall give that a go :)
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Hi Gemma,

I'm 4'11 too, and I totally get the difficulty of the small calories allowance for someone our height.

Why the 5:2? I have lost fairly easily by putting my #s into MFP and trying to follow the calorie allowance. I don't think I would do very well at all with fasting.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Just curious, but why did you choose to do this? It doesn't sound very sustainable for you since you've said you can't hold out and end up binge eating a lot.
  • GemeliaFP
    GemeliaFP Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hello! It's not easy being small is it!
    I just heard it was a good diet as it was "apparently" less restricting!

I think I will probably try that, thank you :)
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    GemeliaFP wrote: »
    Hello! It's not easy being small is it!
    I just heard it was a good diet as it was "apparently" less restricting!

I think I will probably try that, thank you :)

Be sure to read the stickies about calorie counting and logging at the top of the forum. They are super helpful