Experiences with hunger

Options
Hi!

I'm curious about peoples experiences with hunger - have anyone ever "tipped" the point of not feeling hungry any more? A few years ago I was about 20 pounds/10 kg (+-2) heavier, but I have lost this weight gradually over three years, without trying. This happened after a rather strenous trip to Peru, I lived in the rainforest for a month, and we were at one point trying to get photos of illegal activity. Over a ten day period all I ate everyday was boiled rice in a cup - 1.5 cups or so with ready rice, and most days halv a hermetic peach. We were drinking brown water we found nearby and walking lightly around. I slept about 3-4 hours a night (couldn't sleep for the most part - but was resting). I was extremely stressed out during most of the trip. And the thing is - before this I used to eat whenever I needed comfort, but hardly ever get these cravings anymore. I also HAD TO eat after half a day, and was more or less always hungry.
I was not hungry while this "mission" was ongoing, and I have not really felt hunger since. I mean I still need to eat, but the feeling I get now I would classify as a "I should probably eat"-feeling rather than hunger - the intensity is not at all high.

I tried to go all weekend without eating a few weeks before christmas, and ended up feeling relatively normal, just had a lot less energy, even after nearly 70 hour no food (I drank some water whenever I felt like it). Have anyone ever experienced something similar? Do you think I should be worried?
I always eat, of course, but have recently decided I want to lose weight down to a normal BMI-level (10 kg more), and have no problem following 1200 kcal hunger-wise. I almost always eat more, in part because I'm afraid the setting for my bare-minimum is too low, and in part because, well, good foods. I still go down (I haven't logged it).

Also, if it is of any interest, I'm female, 23 yrs, 70 kg and relatively muscular for being inactive most of the day.

Replies

• nicolet789
    nicolet789 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I don't have that experience. I can eat all day and if I don't eat for too long my stomach starts protesting - in such a way that other people can hear it. But I never had the experience of real hunger to compare with.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    My husband does not have natural hunger cues. He explains this is due to several long military deployments where you eat when you can as opposed to when you are hungry. He literally forgets to eat and will be to the point of having serious headaches and be shaking before he realizes that it is due to not eating. He's been this way as long as I have known him.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    As long as you know when you need to eat, I don't see what the problem is.
  • Blomepunk
    Blomepunk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That constant-hunger feeling may be similar to how I used to be. It's really awkward sitting at school/work/the bus/walking around anywhere when your stomach start growling like you ate an angry chihuahua!

Yes, I sometimes eat because I get shaky, recognizing that! No, I have sort of just given it all up, it's after all the opposite of a problem not having to eat at all times, if inconvenient when I forget.

And I often know when to eat, or at least I'm aware if I should have eaten more, so you're probably right, TimothyFish!

I'm only worried because of the rather extreme difference in how I relate to food in general, and I'd like to hear of any similar changes :)
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Both very low calorie and low carb have an appetite suppressing effect. If you want your old appetite back eat more food consistently. :smile:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I literally just ate a whole pint of frozen yogurt with PB2 and I am in the mood for a cheese burger still. No.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Yeah...uhm no... I always wanna eat even when I'm not hungry
  • Jasmunr
    Jasmunr Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I had jaw surgery and was on an all liquid diet for a week. I rarely get hungry now. I still do ocassionaly but it's quite rare. I'm more likely to feel dizzy or faint.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    My mom has been type 1 diabetic for 45 years and had been on old fashioned insulin most of her life where she had to eat certain amounts at certain times. Now she is on newer insulin where she can eat what and when she wants and is always saying how she never gets hungry. I think somewhere along the line her hunger hormones got messed up and disappeared. (Yes I'm jealous of that never hungry thing she has!)