How do YOU get your fruits and veggies in each day?

Options
While I've been eating relatively healthy for a while, I am still not eating my fruits and veggies. I mean, I sort of am, but not really. I'd love to know how you get your fruits and veggies in each day. One can only eat/drink so many smoothies though....

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I eat them.
    I prep my favorite fruits ahead of time (cutting mangos, washing and bagging grapes), ect. Throw them in my lunch box, and I have no excuse not to eat them once I'm at work.
  • coryrood
    coryrood Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I mix strawberries in with my plan yogurt (greek). I eat an apple at lunch. I eat a banana for a snack. Veggies I'll usually have a cup with dinner. A salad with all kinds of veggies (peppers Tomatos cucumbers mushrooms.)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I don't eat fruit, but I get my vegies by basically adding them to everything. My lunches are planned to have 2-3 serves - this week I have chicken noodle soup which has 6 types of veg in it. Dinners, half my plate is generally veg, I have a variety so I don't get bored.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of fruit but I do eat a lot of veggies and I'm a big fan of stirfrys. Dump frozen or fresh veggies in with some olive oil, add a protein source (I do either pork or beef and then add 1-2 scrambled eggs), and then mushrooms and brown rice if I'm doing pork. Very filling and I can get in a lot of veggies this way (my current mix is bell peppers, broccoli, onion, carrots and peas).
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Salads, both standard and fruit. Pineapple, mango, banana and strawberries is a nice fruit salad combo. Or apple, dried cranberry, walnuts and grapes is good too.
  • OneGoodBean
    OneGoodBean Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I find it is difficult to just eat straight up fruit and veggies. So while I do have apples or oranges, etc. just sitting there, ready to eat, I would rather find something else to snack on.

Those that mention salads. Homemade garden type salads usually are boring and bland to me. I really enjoy salads from like Panera, but that can get pricey, in more than one way.

What are some of your favorite salads? Fruit or veggie...
  • physioprof
    physioprof Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love to make smoothies with frozen fruits and veggies. Veggies that have a naturally sweet flavor and high water content are great. Tomatoes, cucumbers (peeled), spinach, frozen berries, milk/yogurt, protein powder, whatever fat you'd like (not coconut oil, that gets hard)...tasty meal on the go!
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Options
    I find it is difficult to just eat straight up fruit and veggies. So while I do have apples or oranges, etc. just sitting there, ready to eat, I would rather find something else to snack on.

Those that mention salads. Homemade garden type salads usually are boring and bland to me. I really enjoy salads from like Panera, but that can get pricey, in more than one way.

The only way I'll eat salad is if the lettuce is buried under so much bacon, croutons, onion crunchies, pepperoni and ranch, that you can't tell there's lettuce lol. I'm with you-I never eat fruit and veggies by themselves, with the exception of blueberries and cherries (the only two fruits that I like) and then I do love yellow and red bell peppers sliced and dipped in Hidden Valley ranch <3
  • taentea
    taentea Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Raw tomatoes or a veggie salad accompany my eggs in the morning.
    I always have a veggie salad or sauerkraut as a primary side for my meat and fish for lunch. If I have a starch, rice or pasta, they are always a smaller portion next to my veggies.
    Banana, berries and occasional peach get mixed into my yogurt / cottage cheese for dinner.
    Pieces of apple and carrot together are one of my favourite snacks. Grapes work too. And melons / water melons are delish.
  • gettingittogether15
    gettingittogether15 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I prefer juicing! Love it! (hate cleaning the juicer though)
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I steam a bunch of vegetables keep them stored in the fridge to make custom soup nearly every day. I keep steamed rice and various cooked meat/chicken in the fridge. I use good chicken broth in a carton to mix all of these ingredients with spices like curry powder and garlic in amounts according to the macro's I want to round out the day/meal. I can make a delicious soup in minutes. Sometimes I only put a 1/4 cup of rice or skip the rice, it depends on how the day went calorie wise.

The steamed veggies are usually cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, Brussels sprouts, carrots, various squashes, spaghetti squash, and various greens.

Soup%20in%20cast%20iron%20carrots%20and%20tomatos_zpsupqjeeld.jpg

I also like to eat a few veggies raw like tomato's, carrots, and cucumbers.

Sometimes I mix sliced cucumber with sliced apple, melon, and frozen blueberries to make a fruit salad. The cucumber is a nice bulky filler that is less calories than fruit.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I take a large salad to work almost every day. Always with a protein added, Shrimp, tuna chicken etc). Depending on my mood it could have...apples, oranges, strawberries, cranberries, tomatoes, all kinds of raw veg. A splash of dressing and I'm good to go. It is rarely the same salad twice. Too many yummy things to add.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I try to have vegetables for every meal. For dinner, usually green peas or beans (frozen, defrosted, "baked"), or salad, or baked parsnips (with honey, oil and sesame seeds :yum: ), as a side dish; or onion, peppers, squash, canned (or dry, soaked) beans, etc in casseroles; or "anything" in creamed (blended) soups (one main vegetable: carrots, cauliflower, mushrooms, pepper/tomato, frozen green peas, spinach, butternut squash - then always onion and beef stock, and a selection of vegs/spices that go together: celery, parsnip, garlic, chili, ginger, etc). As a treat I'll boil an artichoke (or two, if small) and bake a cob of corn, and eat with melted butter and cold meat. For other meals - raw vegetables cut into sticks: cucumber, carrots, beets, kohlrabi, rutabaga, or florets: broccoli, cauliflower, romanesco. From time to time I'll buy asparagus (expensive) or snap peas (taste heavenly but more than a few means stomach pain).

Fruit is more a question of moderation :D I aim for three servings a day. I usually rotate between pineapple, some melon, pomegranate and pomelo for breakfast; have grapes, pears, apples, tangerines, or oranges in combination with cheese and/or nuts/nut butter for dessert or evening meal; and then anything I might get hold of for lunch, sometimes as a smoothie - always 1:1 banana and milk, and a little less of one kind of acidic fruit or berries - today's flavor was apricots, delicious :smile:
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Fill a hand strainer w/frozen vegetables (I like peas and corn) and run it under hot water for about a minute. Then put into a large bowl and add beef or chicken stock. Nuke it for a couple of mins and eat. You can easily consume 2 cups or more of veg every day this way and it's very low calorie.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I get mine in through snacking mostly.

Example:
    Cucumber sprinkled with salt
    Carrot sticks
    Apples cut into matchsticks
    Bananas
    Cubed watermelon
    Mango
    etc.

I also use veggies in my most of my meals.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Typically one serving of fruit a day, either for breakfast or a snack, then veggies with meals... usually 2 servings or more at each meal (often a whole bag of frozen veggies).
  • TheRealKit
    TheRealKit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Food prep weekly and love my shakeology.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Options
    earth_echo wrote: »
    Fill a hand strainer w/frozen vegetables (I like peas and corn) and run it under hot water for about a minute. Then put into a large bowl and add beef or chicken stock. Nuke it for a couple of mins and eat. You can easily consume 2 cups or more of veg every day this way and it's very low calorie.

Good idea, going to try this soon :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I love my fruit smoothie in the morning add in juice and protein powder and done.

I eat veggies with my dinner every night as I love them esp this time of year.

Typically fiddle heads this time of year or frozen mixed veggies.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

Do you ever make chopped salads at home? Not necessarily the restaurant kind with meat and cheese etc., but just your standard salad, chopped.

I'm too lazy to chop by hand, so I just pulse my veggies In the food processor until they are quite finely chopped. I find the higher density (less air, more food), the mixing of flavor and the small quantity of juice released by the chopping makes salads much more palatable. I also dress my salad in a bowl with a cover and shake it to get a more even coat without having to use too much (I do 1Tbsp for 2 big salads, and it's enough)

I also make veggie curry, chili, soups and stews, and add very finely chopped veggies to pasta sauces and bean patties.