Does car washing burn calories?

Options
aifos99
aifos99 Posts: 20 Member
If it does, how should i log it here? Since there is no car wash option or something like that. Thanks!

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes it burns calories...so does laying around the pool but would you log that?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Movement burns calories, log it if you feel its a significant amount. Search the database for soemthing similar or make a custom entry. You could google am estimation but be wary of overestimating.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Yes it burns calories...so does laying around the pool but would you log that?

+10000000000000000000

I wouldn't log it. I wouldn't eat those calories back. It is better to underestimate calorie burns than overestimate them.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think it would amount to a significant calories burned(maybe 30 cals) unless it was your job and even then it would be included when you listed your activity level on daily basis.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I wouldn't think it would amount to a significant calories burned(maybe 30 cals) unless it was your job and even then it would be included when you listed your activity level on daily basis.

How would you know when you arent provided with the duration or intensity? 30 calories really?
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    I'll never understand logging or eating back exercise calories, especially for "normal" activities that aren't really "exercise". Same deal with counting steps taken while walking around all day (i.e. being a normal, active human)...whatever floats your boat though, right?
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    It's not easily quantifiable -- are you holding the hose, are you waxing and buffing, are you letting it air dry, is it a two-seater or an SUV? -- too many variables. Yes, anything that is not sedentary is good and you should do things that aren't sedentary, but as a practical matter you shouldn't drive yourself crazy trying to log it.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »

How would you know when you arent provided with the duration or intensity? 30 calories really?

Because I don't lose weight when I don't log it.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I would estimate that a Nissan Micra is about 25 cals and a stretched Limo would be pushing 100 cals burned as long as you don't cheat a use a hose. I would log an extra 50 cals if you are prepared to do extras. I'm talking a wax job for a happy ending. ;)
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    I'll never understand logging or eating back exercise calories, especially for "normal" activities that aren't really "exercise". Same deal with counting steps taken while walking around all day (i.e. being a normal, active human)...whatever floats your boat though, right?

I eat at least half of mine back because I feel like garbage and underperform when I don't. But this is because my MFP is set to sedentary and I'm close to goal so my cut is aggressive. YMMV.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »

I have days at work where I only get 5000 steps in, and days where I get upwards of 13,000 steps. I want to make sure I'm eating right for my activity, as I need more calories on the more active days. Now, washing the car, I wouldn't bother logging that.
  • a_nasima
    a_nasima Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    anything you do burns calories...
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    I would estimate that a Nissan Micra is about 25 cals and a stretched Limo would be pushing 100 cals burned as long as you don't cheat a use a hose. I would log an extra 50 cals if you are prepared to do extras. I'm talking a wax job for a happy ending. ;)

Nice!