What should my macros be?

i think j want to give counting macros a try instead of just calories . I'm at the point where I'm commited to weighing all my food and calculating it without it becoming an obsessive habit . So just curious as to how I calculate what my protein carbs and fat should be?
I current am 5'5 weighing 135-138 depends on the time. I'm a female just in case anyone didn't know that, and I'm aiming for a pound of weight loss a week. Thanks

Replies

• Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    edited May 2015
    At your height, you are already at a healthy weight with 135/138. How much do you want to lose? If it's not that much, 0.5 lbs/week is more realistic and sustainable. But maybe toning would be a better idea if you are not happy with the way you look?

Anyway, as far as macros go: It's different for everyone and depends on what you are trying to achieve. I found that 40% carbs and 30% fat/protein work really well for me overall. Maybe start with that and adjust as you go.
  • slp51
    slp51 Posts: 201 Member
    Macros will be different for most everyone. Lot of factors involved. But I'll give you mine: 45C / 30P / 25F. Here's a link you may find helpful on how to calculate your macros.

http://healthyeater.com/how-to-calculate-your-macros
  • BirdGirlFit
    BirdGirlFit Posts: 36 Member
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    i think j want to give counting macros a try instead of just calories . I'm at the point where I'm commited to weighing all my food and calculating it without it becoming an obsessive habit . So just curious as to how I calculate what my protein carbs and fat should be?
    I current am 5'5 weighing 135-138 depends on the time. I'm a female just in case anyone didn't know that, and I'm aiming for a pound of weight loss a week. Thanks

why, what problems are you experiencing with just counting calories???

Counting calories doesn't always work- especially if you're trying to alter your body composition (lose fat/add muscle) and are already at a healthy weight. For example, I used to count calories and struggled to lose any weight and my body didn't change much. I found that when I switched to counting macros I became more aware of what I was eating- too much fat, not enough protein, and after I changed that and started lifting weights my body changed drastically. I am actually eating 500 calories more a day than when I was 'dieting' and counting calories. More food, but the RIGHT foods (protein rich, lower fat with healthy carbs) has made all the difference. Not to mention lifting weights with minimal cardio...

I would highly recommend counting macros and being mindful of micronutrients as well. I have used iifym.com and macrofit. My current proportions for macros are 39% carbs/26% fat/35% protein.

Good luck! :)
  • kskinnyperfect
    kskinnyperfect Posts: 28 Member
    Pu_239 wrote: »

why, what problems are you experiencing with just counting calories???

Counting calories doesn't always work- especially if you're trying to alter your body composition (lose fat/add muscle) and are already at a healthy weight. For example, I used to count calories and struggled to lose any weight and my body didn't change much. I found that when I switched to counting macros I became more aware of what I was eating- too much fat, not enough protein, and after I changed that and started lifting weights my body changed drastically. I am actually eating 500 calories more a day than when I was 'dieting' and counting calories. More food, but the RIGHT foods (protein rich, lower fat with healthy carbs) has made all the difference. Not to mention lifting weights with minimal cardio...

I would highly recommend counting macros and being mindful of micronutrients as well. I have used iifym.com and macrofit. My current proportions for macros are 39% carbs/26% fat/35% protein.

Good luck! :)

This was super helpful! Thank you so much.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    I generally do 70% fat, 25% protein and 5% carbs. Of course some days my protein and fat will be higher or lower, but my carbs generally don't go above 8%. This is what has worked for me. Not everyone is as carb sensitive as I am. I can't lose weight any other way. I've tried the "healthy" approach by eating whole grains and what not, and it just doesn't work.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member

1 gram protein per lb lean bodymass
    0.45 grams fat per lb lean bodymass
    fill remaining cals with carbs