Supplement Myths

Options
I used to work at a smoothie shop and we would sell protein to put in smoothies. This is where I thought I was learning about supplements, but I was really just learning myths. Like, protein powder makes women bulky. Or giving a fat burner will make someone thinner (idk what the fat burner supplements were, but everyone and their mothers wanted them!) There was also something that turned the smoothies dark green and that somehow made it healthier.

Another was that you can mix it with ice and have a protein powder smoothie. For example, one customer wanted just water and the protein powder. I added ice (following the recipe) and tried to blend it, but it would not blend. It was like cement! The customer didn't comment on the mess I handed her and it's been like 7 years and I still feel bad! So my question is, on a scale of 1-10 (1=nah, you're fine, 10=I would have snapped your neck) how would you have reacted to that mess of a smoothie?

Anyone else have any supplement myths or funny stories with supplements? Anyone want a smoothie? :wink:

Replies

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Haha, you’re hilarious. I used to be a complete green smoothie fanatic, I thought they were the cat’s pyjamas and the answer to all of my problems, health-related or otherwise. Luckily, with age came wisdom (well, sort of). I find I much prefer eating solid food these days, though I do have protein shakes after lifting to get a quick hit of protein.

Anyway, the thing that turned smoothies dark green is probably spirulina, this seaweed powder thingie. I still have some at the back of my cupboards. Maybe I should use it up.

As for the ice protein smoothie thing, that’s probably because the protein powder the store had contained gums and stuff, to make smoothies thicker. It’s hilarious that you still remember that. It happened to me once when I tried to add whey protein to greek yogurt: only the non-gummy one works. The other turns into plaster. On a scale from 1-10, I would’ve been a definite 1. Maybe 2, if I were that keen on my smoothie. :smile:

Edited to add: I LOL at all those “fat burning” supps. Nothing makes a salesperson/store lose credibility faster than saying that those things will actually do anything at all.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I was never was much for smoothies. I generally only drink things for 1 of 2 reasons: to hydrate and/or ingest caffeine!
  • thatsillyshana23
    thatsillyshana23 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    Haha, you’re hilarious. I used to be a complete green smoothie fanatic, I thought they were the cat’s pyjamas and the answer to all of my problems, health-related or otherwise. Luckily, with age came wisdom (well, sort of). I find I much prefer eating solid food these days, though I do have protein shakes after lifting to get a quick hit of protein.

Anyway, the thing that turned smoothies dark green is probably spirulina, this seaweed powder thingie. I still have some at the back of my cupboards. Maybe I should use it up.

As for the ice protein smoothie thing, that’s probably because the protein powder the store had contained gums and stuff, to make smoothies thicker. It’s hilarious that you still remember that. It happened to me once when I tried to add whey protein to greek yogurt: only the non-gummy one works. The other turns into plaster. On a scale from 1-10, I would’ve been a definite 1. Maybe 2, if I were that keen on my smoothie. :smile:

Edited to add: I LOL at all those “fat burning” supps. Nothing makes a salesperson/store lose credibility faster than saying that those things will actually do anything at all.

I worked next to a dance studio and all of the dancers would get them! I think at one point I had to tell one girl that she couldn't have it because she was drinking a Monster energy drink.
  • thatsillyshana23
    Options
    I was never was much for smoothies. I generally only drink things for 1 of 2 reasons: to hydrate and/or ingest caffeine!

I can make a mocha latte smoothie! Lol!
  • Emilia777
    Options
    Sounds like your job was pretty entertaining :smile: . What’s your favourite smoothie??
  • thatsillyshana23
    Options
    Sounds like your job was pretty entertaining :smile: . What’s your favourite smoothie??

It was fun! Made me want to learn more about health and wellness. The mocha latte one was really good, but I got a weird twitch from all the caffeine. My all time favorite is passion fruit juice, strawberry, and banana. Or just banana, honey, and vanilla. The latte was bananas, condensed milk, coffee, and vanilla. Imagine putting protein powder in that! I think it would be lethal!
  • Emilia777
    Options

It was fun! Made me want to learn more about health and wellness. The mocha latte one was really good, but I got a weird twitch from all the caffeine. My all time favorite is passion fruit juice, strawberry, and banana. Or just banana, honey, and vanilla. The latte was bananas, condensed milk, coffee, and vanilla. Imagine putting protein powder in that! I think it would be lethal!

Haha! That does sound yum! I’ve had a condensed milk avocado smoothie once and it was really tasty.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Once this supplement shop opened up in the same shopping plaza as my gym..they sold a bunch of low quality , marked up price , supplements and made "smoothies". All the new gym members would walk over there before they came into the gym and buy these "weight loss smoothies" for about $6.50 each. These women really believed there was a magical fat burner in these drinks. Well one day I was waiting outside ffor the gym to open and started a conversation with the girl who worked in the supplement shop making the smoothies. I asked her what was in the "weight loss" drink and why the women believed it caused weight loss? The girl said, it's grapefruit juice mixed with water, ice, spinach and apple juice. (Lmao) she said her boss told her to tell the over weight women from the gym that it's a weight loss drink but not to mention what's exactly in it because it was a secret family recipe. (Lmao)
    It goes to show how people will buy into these gimmicks . (The supplement shop only lasted about a year there and then moved. It's a nail salon now lol!)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,542 Member
    Options
    Health sells. The more "healthy" something sounds, the bigger the flock of people you'll get who know NOTHING about actual nutrition. But as long as it sounds good, they'll pay. And profit is all that matters when it comes to most businesses these days.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I have never been a fan of smoothies. I like solid food. I do like various protein powders to cook with to up my lean protein uptake in less calories some days. But supplements are SUPPLEMENTS, not miracles (duh!) B), so I use them now and again to fix a few holes in my mostly just real basic food diet. I can sometimes get the same protein/calorie ratio with white fish and egg whites. But I enjoy the egg white protein powder recipes I've created for myself to enjoy low calorie high protein custards, pancakes, and waffles! It's nice to have the variety that those supplements provide for creating recipes.
  • thatsillyshana23
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Once this supplement shop opened up in the same shopping plaza as my gym..they sold a bunch of low quality , marked up price , supplements and made "smoothies". All the new gym members would walk over there before they came into the gym and buy these "weight loss smoothies" for about $6.50 each. These women really believed there was a magical fat burner in these drinks. Well one day I was waiting outside ffor the gym to open and started a conversation with the girl who worked in the supplement shop making the smoothies. I asked her what was in the "weight loss" drink and why the women believed it caused weight loss? The girl said, it's grapefruit juice mixed with water, ice, spinach and apple juice. (Lmao) she said her boss told her to tell the over weight women from the gym that it's a weight loss drink but not to mention what's exactly in it because it was a secret family recipe. (Lmao)
    It goes to show how people will buy into these gimmicks . (The supplement shop only lasted about a year there and then moved. It's a nail salon now lol!)

I feel like that's how most of these places are! Ha! But I love smoothies and get them because they're delicious. I know there's like 3 tablespoons of sugar added to it and its not too healthy.
  • californiagirl2012
    edited May 2015
    Options

I feel like that's how most of these places are! Ha! But I love smoothies and get them because they're delicious. I know there's like 3 tablespoons of sugar added to it and its not too healthy.

Hey if it TASTES good and you like it, and you know the calories and count them or at least AWARE of the calories and marcos I say GO FOR IT. Life is too short, might as well have food you like the taste of!!! <3
  • californiagirl2012
    Options

Perfect reasons. I love it! <3

• rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Protein and creatine, and how to take them are the source of so much terrible broscience.
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Supplements added to smoothies, taken occasionally are often not a large enough portion to amount to anything. Wasteful and unnecessary.