Home cooking

Options
2»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    How do you calculate your calories if you're cooking a whole dish such as a casserole? I do so much cooking like this for my family and this is where I always get stumped on how to calculate because everything is mixed together and in a large volume for a family...do I weigh and measure everything then try to calculate some how?

First, I use the recipe builder. I choose how many servings I think the dish will be, then weigh all ingredients in grams and enter them. When I'm done and hit save, I have a recipe that will say 6 servings (or whatever) with calorie content and macros.

When the recipe is done, I then weigh it into another dish and divide that by 6, which will come out to a certain amount of grams per serving.

I then enter that information in grams into My Foods, which will include all the macros information. if you use the same ingredients each time in the same amounts, your calorie estimates will be accurate.

At least this has worked for me so far. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I made a homemade birthday cake today from scratch, layered with Nutella, strawberry's, bananas and heavy whipped cream. I added each ingredients and used a calculator. I calculated that the whole cake had just short of 5000 calories. Then I divided it in 8 "equal Pieces. I wish I had this tool earlier today.

Do you weigh the ingredients? Or, are they all estimates?

Do you have any cake left?

Can I please have a piece right now? :smiley: