Creatine

Options
I can't get/find a straight answer regarding the use of creatine. One guy says to cycle on and off, the next guy says take it every day and never stop, the third says only take it on days you lift .. Looking for additional opinions.

I lift 3-5 times per week but my target going forward is 5.

That said, what should be my approach when it comes to creatine?

I am using creatine monohydrate from Muscle Pharm and mix it with Syntha 6 protein shakes when I take it. I typically drink the shakes immediately following a workout.

Thank you in advance for any advice that you can offer.

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Take 4-5g daily. No need to cycle. There is no right time or wrong time to take it.
  • doktorglass
    doktorglass Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Next time you need supplement and/or lifting advice, don't ask the guy that said to take it only on lifting days. 5g/day, until forever.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I get my advice (rightly or wrongly) from the guy who owns my local sports nutrition shop who was a pro body builder. He advises daily supplements whether you are training or not.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Don't do what anyone tells you to do. Everyone is just going to give you their opinion (unless they can legitimately back up their opinion with evidence to support it).

Do your own homework. Do your own research. Find as much solid information as you can on the subject, then make your own informed decision on what you should do to achieve the goals you are striving for.

It doesn't matter how good the other person may appear at something, unless they have some real sources to prove their point, their words should be as useful to you as an oak tree in the middle of a field during a storm.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    5g a day of the cheapest creatine mono you can find. Any time of the day, once a day. No cycling necessary unless you want to lose some of the water weight associated with creatine use (some people notice 2-4 pounds of extra weight, generally dropped a few days after ceasing use of creatine).
  • jake020
    jake020 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I take it pre and post workout I mix it with my pre-workout drink and then immediately after I mix it with my protein and I do not take it on rest days I did not notice any gain in water weight while taking creatine but everyone is different in that respect
  • smslogan317
    smslogan317 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Years ago when creatine was first introduced to the bodybuilding realm, it was cycled, like steroids, to avoid any negative side effects. Today with all the research regarding creatine as well as all the different types of creatine, it has been found to be extremely safe, even in teenagers, . There are many great articles on bodybuilding.com in regards to creatine, but one in particular is "understanding creatine". This may help you a great deal, it discusses the biomechanics, and science behind it.
    I take it pre and post, pre by itself, during my workout I use a intra workout drink and Beta-Alanine, also during my workout I aim for at least 72oz of plain water, post: creatine with 20oz of water, along with BCAA and 1000mg of potassium chloride (very important) with 20oz of water, along with whey protein isolate and 20oz of water, then the rest of the day is just plain water, maybe a protein shake before bed. I TRY to get in 2 gallons of water daily. These are nothing fancy, just your basic supps.
    I agree with chivalryder, opinions are wonderful, but in the end research it out. O BTW, the national institute of health library online has some great info on MOST sports nutrition supps. Hope this helps
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    rejectuf wrote: »
    5g a day of the cheapest creatine mono you can find. Any time of the day, once a day. No cycling necessary unless you want to lose some of the water weight associated with creatine use (some people notice 2-4 pounds of extra weight, generally dropped a few days after ceasing use of creatine).

^^ This. Only saw water weight when i first started taking it. None now and i take 5g of cheapest creatine mono daily.