Body Beast and calories

My_Butt
My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm currently at 1,990 calories and I want to work at looking more muscular. I've looked at the body beast program from beach body (the closest gym is 30 miles away and I work 14 hours a day of construction, so it's easier to put in a DVD versus lifting at a gym).
To define my muscles where should my calories be? I understand how to lose weight, but not sure when it comes to increasing muscles. I've heard you have to eat more to build, but I can't be sure if I'm working out enough to make sure a calorie increase doesn't become fat.

Replies

• DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    While I am not familiar with the body beast program, if you want to lose the fat that covers your muscles you will have to eat at a deficit. To keep from losing muscle you will need to also adjust your macros. The main one will be protein. You'll have to add up to an extra .8g-1g of protein for each pound of lean muscle mass you already have.

Make sure you take your rest days seriously. It is theses days that give the muscles their ability to repair and build themselves.

As another option you could look at and something I have used when no gym is available was the TRX Suspension Trainer. It takes up almost no room, it is a body weight exercise program, has a nearly unlimited variations of exercises and 3 levels of intensity to progress through.

Good Luck!
  • My_Butt
    DesertGunR wrote: »
    While I am not familiar with the body beast program, if you want to lose the fat that covers your muscles you will have to eat at a deficit. To keep from losing muscle you will need to also adjust your macros. The main one will be protein. You'll have to add up to an extra .8g-1g of protein for each pound of lean muscle mass you already have.

Make sure you take your rest days seriously. It is theses days that give the muscles their ability to repair and build themselves.

As another option you could look at and something I have used when no gym is available was the TRX Suspension Trainer. It takes up almost no room, it is a body weight exercise program, has a nearly unlimited variations of exercises and 3 levels of intensity to progress through.

Good Luck!

Thanks.
  • bbcoachjason
    bbcoachjason Posts: 3 Member
    If you decide to go with Body Beast, it comes with a nutrition guide that will answer most of your questions. I in my second week of Insanity and then will begin Body Beast!
    My_Butt wrote: »
    I'm currently at 1,990 calories and I want to work at looking more muscular. I've looked at the body beast program from beach body (the closest gym is 30 miles away and I work 14 hours a day of construction, so it's easier to put in a DVD versus lifting at a gym).
    To define my muscles where should my calories be? I understand how to lose weight, but not sure when it comes to increasing muscles. I've heard you have to eat more to build, but I can't be sure if I'm working out enough to make sure a calorie increase doesn't become fat.

• alexandraclaybert
    alexandraclaybert Posts: 1 Member
    Great question, I JUST started Body Beast (on week 2) and it's so great so far! I have to sit down and figure out the calories from the nutrition plan still. I did make a batch of the Beast Chili which is amazing! lol
  • dragonflym
    dragonflym Posts: 16 Member
    I have done 3 rounds of body beast, loving the program, The program does come with a nutrition guide explaining calories needed for every stage of the beast program, but I have not followed the nutrition plan myself, I felt the recommended calories were too high for me. I'm following IIFYM instead. takes the guess work out of the equation altogether.

what is IIFYM ?
  • Gr84cstr
    Gr84cstr Posts: 61 Member
    I have done several rounds of Body Beast and love it. I made an Excel spreadsheet that uses the brochure's formulas so computing calories is easy for me.

• My_Butt
    Gr84cstr wrote: »
    I have done several rounds of Body Beast and love it. I made an Excel spreadsheet that uses the brochure's formulas so computing calories is easy for me.

That's awesome.
    I have the program, just need to buy a pull up bar and a few more heavier weights. Then I'm all set. I'm currently doing Hip Hop Abs.
  • PhilP0wer
    PhilP0wer Posts: 76 Member
    On top of the 1g/lb protein advice, I'd recommend sleeping at least 7 hours a day. You produce most of your growth hormone when you're asleep.
  • Gr84cstr
    Gr84cstr Posts: 61 Member
    That's awesome.
    I have the program, just need to buy a pull up bar and a few more heavier weights. Then I'm all set. I'm currently doing Hip Hop Abs.

If you can't find a place for a pullup bar, you can also try a heavy-duty hook (sometimes used to store bicycles from the ceiling) and some exercise resistance bands. Attach the hook to a ceiling joist and use the bands to simulate pullups.

Look into purchasing Bowflex Dial-Wieghts. I have a set which allows me to have anywhere from 5-lbs to 52-lbs from a single set of weights. A bit expensive, but saves money and space you would need for individual dumbbells.

I am presently doing another round of Body Beast, but incorporated P90X Ab Ripper and running into the program. My goal is to lose body fat for the Summer, then I can focus on adding muscle in the Fall.

Mike
  • My_Butt
    Gr84cstr wrote: »
    That's awesome.

If you can't find a place for a pullup bar, you can also try a heavy-duty hook (sometimes used to store bicycles from the ceiling) and some exercise resistance bands. Attach the hook to a ceiling joist and use the bands to simulate pullups.

Look into purchasing Bowflex Dial-Wieghts. I have a set which allows me to have anywhere from 5-lbs to 52-lbs from a single set of weights. A bit expensive, but saves money and space you would need for individual dumbbells.

I am presently doing another round of Body Beast, but incorporated P90X Ab Ripper and running into the program. My goal is to lose body fat for the Summer, then I can focus on adding muscle in the Fall.

Mike

I lost the body fat in the winter, so now I'm working on building muscle. Never realized how hard it is to grow these muscles.