Happy Memorial Day!

Options
zcb94
zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
In this post, I'd like us to take time to think and talk about the brave men and women we know who gave their lives/ got hurt for our freedom, and thank everyone who is still serving. Have you lost a loved one on the frontlines? Have you/has anyone you know been injured while serving? Are you giving your all for the USA? Please share so we can recognize everyone!

Replies

• zcb94
    Options
    My uncle has moved repeatedly for the Air Force, and has yet to suffer in battle, thankfully.

I remember today that many male ancestors have fought and died for our side of many a bloody battle.

Dad gave 24 yrs for us, sacrificing most of his hearing (from artillery noise) and lung power (smoke 'em if ya got 'em), but is still kicking!
  • jaatree
    jaatree Posts: 1,967 Member
    Options
    Salute from India.
    (don't agree with your wars but totally respect your young people fighting on the field)
  • Northernlight03
    Northernlight03 Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Men and women who have lost life and those who are still fighting have my total respect...I've lived on barracks in UK and I will always be grateful for what they do, just a pity the government doesn't show them the respect they deserve.
  • zcb94
    Options
    Men and women who have lost life and those who are still fighting have my total respect...I've lived on barracks in UK and I will always be grateful for what they do, just a pity the government doesn't show them the respect they deserve.
    Definitely! That reminds me of Someone else I'd recognize. Christ, although never working as a soldier IRL, fought (and still searches) for our souls until the painful end, brought on by the government and His people.
  • Northernlight03
    Options
    I don't disagree with people fighting for their country but what annoys me is that they get no help when leaving the army to get back into savillian life and the fact that young men and women get so little help with PTSD gets me so angry, we should look after then after what they sacrifice...not throw them to the curb
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    Options
    In remembrance today of my three Uncles Frances, Ned and Bill and of all of the fallen Heroes who served our Country with Honor and Dedication and gave the ultimate sacrifice for us all! <3<3<3
  • Northernlight03
    Options
    :'(<3
    In remembrance today of my three Uncles Frances, Ned and Bill and of all of the fallen Heroes who served our Country with Honor and Dedication and gave the ultimate sacrifice for us all! <3<3<3

• zcb94
    Options
    I don't disagree with people fighting for their country but what annoys me is that they get no help when leaving the army to get back into savillian life and the fact that young men and women get so little help with PTSD gets me so angry, we should look after then after what they sacrifice...not throw them to the curb
    So true and sad. After all, service is their choice, not disability, isolation and hurt that sometimes follow.
  • zcb94
    Options
    Aw! I'm sorry to hear about your uncs. Surely they served like champs and are living the good, eternal life!
  • zcb94
    Options
    zcb94 wrote: »
    In this post, I'd like us to take time to think and talk about the brave men and women we know who gave their lives/ got hurt for our freedom, and thank everyone who is still serving. Have you lost a loved one on the frontlines? Have you/has anyone you know been injured while serving? Are you giving your all for the USA? Please share so we can recognize everyone!
    You said you've been in barracks. Tell us about that, if you're comfortable doing so.
  • lookin4gains
    lookin4gains Posts: 1,762 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I've known a lot. Their sacrifice is never taken for granted and their smiles will never be forgotten. I was also on honor guard for a few months doing military funerals. I've carried heroes from vietnam, desert storm, Iraq and Afghanistan wars. My prayers go out to the soldier's family members who still eat at the dinner table and look upon an empty seat. My heart is heavy today for all I've seen pass. SPC Goodman. You were taken from us earlier this year. I miss you.
  • zcb94
    Options
    Sadly, I've known a lot. Their sacrifice is never taken for granted and their smiles will never be forgotten. I was also on honor guard for a few months doing military funerals. I've carried heroes from vietnam, desert storm, Iraq and Afghanistan wars. My prayers go out to the soldier's family members who still eat at the dinner table and look upon an empty seat. My heart is heavy today for all I've seen pass. SPC Goodman. You were taken from us earlier this year. I miss you.
    Oh. I'm sorry about your losses.
  • Northernlight03
    Options
    <3

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    My in-laws (F-n-L) and two in-law uncles all served in the military at the same time. Only men in the family.
    F-n-L and B-n-L were career military. F-n-L was on a carrier that was headed toward Pearl Harbor from Guam when Pearl Harbor was bombed. They were "ordered" back to port in Guam with absolutely no reason given.
    B-n-L did 3 tours in Vietnam - MP. My hats off to all of them (and others) who have made the military their career. Also to the families of all that stayed home raising children while they were deployed. Military builds discipline and good discipline builds character. Good character will take you almost anywhere. I don't know why we call it 'Happy'; but "Happy Memorial Day" to all of you! :smile:
  • zcb94
    Options
    My in-laws (F-n-L) and two in-law uncles all served in the military at the same time. Only men in the family.
    F-n-L and B-n-L were career military. F-n-L was on a carrier that was headed toward Pearl Harbor from Guam when Pearl Harbor was bombed. They were "ordered" back to port in Guam with absolutely no reason given.
    B-n-L did 3 tours in Vietnam - MP. My hats off to all of them (and others) who have made the military their career. Also to the families of all that stayed home raising children while they were deployed. Military builds discipline and good discipline builds character. Good character will take you almost anywhere. I don't know why we call it 'Happy'; but "Happy Memorial Day" to all of you! :smile:
    Me either, just like "Happy Halloween," etc., but my best guess is because we form happy memories with loved ones during constant moves, between tours of duty.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Rememberance of happy memories that go on and on and on ...
  • elena1025
    elena1025 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I respect and honor everyone that's made the decision to fight for our country. My brother is currently active and he's been in now for almost 8 years. My uncle was a marine, my grandfather was in the airforce. My family has also seen the other side of what it can do to our family member once they are back home. Prayers to everyone who is currently serving and who has served in the past.