Lesson learned!

Options
So, I've been faithfully logging for 140+ days, never once going over my calories, and have lost 57lbs. You would think, after all that, that I would have learned portion control and restraint.... right? Apparently not!

Yesterday was my daughters birthday, and she always calls the shots. i.e. she didn't have to go to school yesterday, (we're in New Zealand, so yesterday was Monday. Weather was crap btw.) she chooses where we go and what we do, and also.....meals. Mhm. So, breakfast was birthday cake, lunch was KFC, dinner was pizza, followed by yet more cake.

OK, I knew it wasn't going to be pretty, but I had decided not to log anything, and just keep my maintenance calorie level in mind. That should work, right?

By the time I went to bed last night, I had eaten..... full KFC meal (large chips, potato & gravy, roll, two pieces of chicken), about 1/3 of my daughters cake, and an entire pizza! I went to bed feeling bloated and sick. I estimate that I ate around 6,000cals!

Today, I'm back to logging, happily sticking to my cals, and the leftover cake isn't worth trying to work in to my calories. So, the silver lining is that yesterday was just a blip, and I'm happy to continue on my merry little way.

But holy eye-opener, Batman! Apparently I've learned nothing over the last 5 months, particularly not self-control.

We are off to the Cook Islands for vacation in less than a month, and I was planning on not logging during that too. Uh, no. While I will reset everything to maintenance levels, every single bite will be logged in MFP. I may be able to shrug of one day, but and scared shitless that if I do it for two weeks, I'll be back to old habits. Worked too damn hard, and have so far still to go, I'm not going to undo it all now.

Sorry for the long post, needed to get that all out.

TL:DR - left to my own devices.....

8b0umblr2wi9.jpg

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I think the question is after all that...and feeling how you did...will you do it again? and if you do it again will it be a while?

After losing 60lbs I find I can't over indulge...I've tried...during the holidays and vacations and it just isn't in me any more...it's not that I don't want to...I can't.

For example I love KFC hotwings...I ordered 20 knowing my son was going to be home and I though I am going to eat 10...I couldn't...I only ate 6...the thought of eating that 7th, 8th, 9th and finally 10th one...well...just couldn't do it...i knew I would be in agony and maybe the next time you think I want more...you will have to remember how you feel when you do.
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Good question. I would like to say I wont do it again, and if I ensure I log everything, then I'm confident that I wont. But if I don't log; don't hold myself accountable...... it would likely be another free-for-all. Doesn't make me all that hopeful for maintenance.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    JordisTSM wrote: »
    Good question. I would like to say I wont do it again, and if I ensure I log everything, then I'm confident that I wont. But if I don't log; don't hold myself accountable...... it would likely be another free-for-all. Doesn't make me all that hopeful for maintenance.

I was in maintenance for 8 months (gained on my vacation) and I continued to log/weigh....

if you don't feel you can maintain without logging there is nothing wrong with logging...
  • JordisTSM
    Options
    Yeah. After yesterday I've resigned myself to the fact that I will be logging for the rest of my life. Not a bad thing, just hoped I'd be able to change my mindset at some point. But hey, no big. I have to take meds every day to keep my anxiety and panic attacks under control, and I'm fine with that, logging will just have to go in the same category. :smile:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You let your child stay off school for her birthday :open_mouth:

Log it and move on
  • JordisTSM
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Log it and move on

As far as I'm concerned, if there is one day a year that you shouldn't have to go to school, it's your birthday!

I will move on, was just a real eye opener :smile:
  • fabafter5
    fabafter5 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I would say that you learned a lot! Mainly, to not let a splurge day snowball of control. My trainer says "it's called a Holiday not a Holi-week". Life happens to everyone but the most important thing is to wake up the next day, brush yourself off and carry on doing the things that you have done to see those fabulous weight loss results.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    JordisTSM wrote: »
    Yesterday was my daughters birthday, and she always calls the shots. i.e. she didn't have to go to school yesterday, (we're in New Zealand, so yesterday was Monday. Weather was crap btw.) she chooses where we go and what we do, and also.....meals. Mhm. So, breakfast was birthday cake, lunch was KFC, dinner was pizza, followed by yet more cake.

Hey, can you be my adopted mom? <3

I know how you feel. You think you've got it and can just be mindful of eating but it doesn't happen. I had a blow-out day for Xmas 2014, mostly as a mental recharge. I ate what I wanted and it was very freeing. I logged it so I could see how much damage I did (iirc it was 3500 cals for the day). It solidified why I don't do "cheat" meals, preferring to make foods fit into my daily calories. I don't get as much/exactly what I want, but I at least get something to keep myself from going Lizzie Borden on people. I know I'm going to have to keep logging until I die or am so mentally riddled I can't.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Just because you didn't practice moderation this time, doesn't mean you didn't learn it. If anything it just means you didn't want to, or it wasn't worth it.
  • JordisTSM
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Just because you didn't practice moderation this time, doesn't mean you didn't learn it. If anything it just means you didn't want to, or it wasn't worth it.

As much as I hate to admit it, you're probably right.

Internal dialogue:- "Eat all the things? Why? Because F you, that's why!"
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Log it and move on
    It snowed on my birthday one year, an extremely rare event here, and my parents let me stay home. :wink:

Very glad because my classmates had to stay inside the building and miss the fun.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    One day in the scheme of things is nothing. It's over, move on.
  • JordisTSM
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    One day in the scheme of things is nothing. It's over, move on.

Oh, I know. It was just interesting how quickly I went from being mindful and moderating my intake to full on Cookie-Bear mode!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    @JordisTSM, I think you are being incredibly hard on yourself. It sounds like you had a wonderful time with your daughter yesterday, and food was a big part of it.

I see by your posting that you did learn something important:
    Today, I'm back to logging, happily sticking to my cals, and the leftover cake isn't worth trying to work in to my calories.

I have a feeling you'll be fine on vacation. :)
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I think you're going to be ok!
    Plus you reminded me of a childhood quirk. My sister got her birthday off from school, mine was during summer vacation so it was only fair, but she always picked the weirdest cakes!

Me? Dry chocolate, slightly burnt, no frosting please.

Her? Confetti cake with jelly and banana filling and ALL THE FROSTING. Guess that's why she went into baking!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    On my dd's birthday she ate what she wanted all day long. I knew I couldn't fit all that in my day. I had my usual breakfast, a different lunch item and ate the same thing as everyone for dinner and had cake.