myfitnesspal vs loseit

Options
lmxxox
lmxxox Posts: 56 Member
edited May 2015 in Getting Started
I've been on myfitnesspal before, for a long time. Decided to give loseit a try. I've had a little success with both sites. I just have a bit of confusion.

I am 5'9", 279lbs, and I would like to lose 100 on top of the 18 that or so that I've lost.

To lose 2lbs per week on myfitnesspal, my allotted calorie intake is at 1720.

To lose 2lbs per week on lose it, my allotted calories are 2063.

That's kind of a big difference in my opinion.
I dont even know if losing 2lbs per week is a good idea at this point. I tend to be slightly clueless in that aspect. I just want your guys' opinion if you're willing to help me out. Which one sounds about right and why are they so different? Thank you :)

Replies

• iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    MFP assumes you're going to exercise and eat some of those calories back, putting you closer to the ~2k that loseit gives you. loseit assumes exercise in the calorie goal it gives you already, no need to eat them back. it's a case of 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other.

whatever you do, pick a plan, stick with it for 6-8 weeks, and make minor adjustments based on your results. consistency and persistence is key! best of luck :)
  • fabulousmomma
    fabulousmomma Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    MFP assumes you're going to exercise and eat some of those calories back, putting you closer to the ~2k that loseit gives you. loseit assumes exercise in the calorie goal it gives you already, no need to eat them back. it's a case of 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other.

whatever you do, pick a plan, stick with it for 6-8 weeks, and make minor adjustments based on your results. consistency and persistence is key! best of luck :)

Bang on:)
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    loseit assumes exercise in the calorie goal it gives you already

So that would mean any day that you don't do enough exercise, you have to manually lower your calorie intake.

I'd rather to it the other way...assume I don't exercise and then when I do and I get to eat some back, it's like a reward. It's an incentive to exercise.

• lmxxox
    lmxxox Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh wow.. that actually makes a million times more sense than what I was understanding lol. I'm thinking myfitnesspal might be the way to do it, thanks you guys! o:)
  • iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    MFP uses the NEAT formula. most other sites use TDEE. they're just different formulas. depends on whether or not you need food as a reward for exercise, or if you just do it because you know you need to.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    For a brief moment, I was thinking of using LoseIt. Unfortunately it only has USA foods and measurements are only in imperial.

Useless for me.

• smcrisman0
    smcrisman0 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know this thread is a few months old, but...I've been using both MFP and LoseIt for the past week, and I think I like LoseIt better. I was also confused about the difference in calories, but here is what LoseIt says:

"Lose It! estimates the number of calories you burn each day at rest using a standard formula based on height, weight, age and gender (Mifflin equation). This equation produces what is known as a Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR).

The Mifflin equation provides a good approximation for most people, however, individual metabolisms can and do vary. If you feel that your RMR varies from that of a typical person (e.g. because a doctor or nutritionist has more accurately measured your RMR), you may wish to adjust your daily calorie budget accordingly.

Lose It! also assumes that your Personal Activity level (PAL) is sedentary to light (e.g. a typical office worker). In more technical terms this corresponds to a PAL of 1.45. This PAL corresponds to the following set of activities:

Sleeping - 8 hours
    Personal Care (dressing, showering) - 1 hour
    Eating - 1 hour
    Cooking - 1 hour
    Sitting (office work, selling produce, tending shop) - 8 hours
    Driving car to/from work - 1 hour
    Leisure activities (watching TV, chatting) - 3 hour
    If you believe that your PAL is higher or lower based on your actual daily activity level or because you have had your PAL measured more accurately by a doctor or a nutritionist, you may wish to adjust your daily calories budget accordingly.

Note that dedicated exercises such as jogging, running or playing sports are not included in your daily PAL. This is because Lose It! enables you to account for calories burned from these activities explicitly by logging them as exercises."