Best exercises for losing fat and gaining muscle?

purple4sure05
purple4sure05 Posts: 287 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I've been a runner for two years now, running an average of about 35 miles per week. However, all of the cardio is making me hungry, and I'm starting to gain some weight back. I don't know much science behind it, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming that my metabolism is getting too used to the cardio and that it is no longer burning the calories I think it is. I love to run, but I'm willing to cut down on running and incorporate something else in order to lose fat and tighten up my muscles. I'm not interested in free lifting, simply because I know it won't keep my interest long term. I'd like some sort of routine that involves multiple activities.

I have a decent amount of muscle naturally, and I build muscle very quickly. Because of the muscle I have naturally from being a gymnast and competitive cheerleading for 15 years, too much arm/shoulder activity can begin to make me look like an olympic swimmer after 6 or 7 months, and I'm trying to slim down above all else. I realize that lifting weights in certain degrees can assist in building lean muscle and that weight lifting doesn't turn women into the hulk.

Any tips on what I can do either at home or in a gym? I'm thinking of getting a gym membership once I relocate in about a month, but having home workouts is also very helpful. I've done 30 Day Shred a few times but I don't think it's intense enough to produce meaningful results for me.

**Edit: I've been thinking about investing in Insanity. Any opinions on if its worth the money and how successful your results have been?

Thank you!

Replies

• ajh2133
    ajh2133 Posts: 14 Member
    Have you tried p90x or insanity? Both are at home workout programs that hep to build strength along with some muscular endurance. I'm assuming by free weights being boring you are talking about doing one exercise at a time for sets of a few reps. I love lifting but also find this quite boring. Another thing you could try would be circuit/crossfit type workouts if you go to a gym (even at home works). An example lower body circuit would be: 20 squat jumps, 50 box step ups, 25 lunges with a barbell, 50 squats with a barbell, rest and repeat 3-4 times. I usually start my leg day with a circuit like this and then go into more specific exercises like heavy squats 4 sets of 10ish on the squat rack or leg press, etc. changing up circuits and what you workout on each day especially helps to keep lifting interesting. Also, gaining muscle through lifting burns calorie at rest (more than not) so if you continue to run and incorporate heavy weights you will burn more calories throughout the day. Hope this helps a bit!
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    For starters...
    Best exercises for losing fat and gaining muscle?
    Exercise is for fitness. A caloric deficit is for weight loss. You also can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time.

If you're looking to lose fat, create a caloric deficit and lift heavy to preserve lean mass.

If you're looking to gain muscle, create a caloric surplus and lift heavy. A program like SL 5x5, ICF or Starting Strength are ideal for beginners.

• alekth
    alekth Posts: 33 Member
    edited May 2015
    While you can achieve some optimization on energy consumption by improving cardiovascular efficiency, and you'll burn fewer calories the lighter you get, generally the human body is pretty efficient and you're likely still burning your calories. Of course, if you're eating it back, you won't be losing weight.

On the firming up front, maybe you should try something like group boot camp fitness - they tend to involve lighter weights, body weight and generally interval type training with some cardio in it. So stuff like jumping, squats, push-ups, burpees and weights are usually lighter with higher repetition.

At home, the one workout video series that comes to mind is Beachbody Insanity.

edit: Haha, yeah, Insanity is what seems closest to what you're looking for. I do some random bits from it from time to time, but it helps that I'm living on the ground floor - neighbors wouldn't appreciate the jumping. Hate Shaun talking all the time, but I haven't done it often enough to just mute it and put some good music in the background. Results-wise I just did it from time to time last winter when it was too cold and slippery outside to run, and it was more of a cardio thing for me - I was also doing some weights at the gym. But between the two I did lose weight and got some more definition during the winter, which is pretty good all things considered.
  • WeaponXI
    WeaponXI Posts: 63 Member
    Since free weights do not seem to interest you, would bodyweight type routines? Examples would be convict conditioning, or one of Frank Medrano's routines.