Why Do I Sleep So Much?

Options
MaiLinna
MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
I was wondering if maybe I have a deficiency or something. I can barely function on less than 9 hours of sleep. 10 is ideal. 12 is heavenly. Yes, sometimes I have 12 hour days. 12 hours awake, 12 hours asleep. Why is this? Do you think I may be deficient in something? It's been like this for years, even before I went vegan, so I know it's not that. Back then everyone just assumed it was because I worked so much, or because some nights I wasn't allowed more than 2 hours of sleep.

I've recently gone through some ordeals, and I've been suffering from C-PTSD, so I'm wondering if it's worsening because of that? I'm feeling a lot better though, so I'm not sure.

Replies

• rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Impossible to say. If it concerns you, best to talk it over with a doctor.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    rejectuf wrote: »
    Impossible to say. If it concerns you, best to talk it over with a doctor.

Agreed
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Low thyroid levels cause feelings of fatigue.
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Probs anemic (low in iron). My iron levels are 7, which is very low and I sleep a lot like you too. Just go to the doctors
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Yup, agree with getting a full panel bloodwork done. It could be a simple deficiency.
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Wow. .Ive never had that much sleep. I'm used to 6 hours now 4.30 am riser even on days off! Don't want to miss my life sleeping! !
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I wish it was something simple I could self diagnose. I haven't seen a doctor since I was 8 and i probably won't be seeing one for another few years.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I've always needed at least 10 hours of sleep... I wish i had an answer but I am the same. I can go on 6-7 hours but with a struggle.
  • SteelWolf13
    SteelWolf13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do 8 hours but its usually from 2/3 am till 10/11am. If i try to move my sleep back to 11-7 my body does not like it. Also it helps to wake when your lightest asleep VS being jarred awake from a deep sleep. Seriously. Go get a yearly check up and have the doc check for low thyroid and also what adds call Low T (testosterone). Before i got on thyroid pills i used to sleep about 12 hours.
  • madz0007
    madz0007 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Some people need more sleep than others in the same way some people need less. Younger people have been proven to need more hours sleep than older people, so is it just your age?

I would start by looking at the quality of your sleep. Are you comfortable? Do you sleep in a room with no light? Are you going to bed and getting up at a regular time? How long does it actually take you to go to sleep? It is possible you are in bed for 9 hours but only sleeping properly for 4-5 hours.

I found I was constantly exhausted, when I got my fitbit I realised why the quality of my sleep is very poor and on average I'm getting only 3 hours 40 minutes sleep a night. Yes I'm the other way to you but it is possible you aren't getting enough deep sleep which is why you are needing to stay in bed.
    So

So I would start by looking at your sleeping conditions, make your room cool, comfortable with no light. Go to bed at the same time each day, do some relaxation exercises for about 20 minutes before bed. Make sure there is no light in your room, put phones, TV's etc out of the room. Set your alarm for the same time each day and get up even if you feel exhausted, then take some exercise to wake your body up. Try this for a week and then review how you feel, if you still feel exhausted and tired after a regular routine of say 8-9 hours in bed then see your Doctor.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have always functioned best on 8-9 hours of sleep. Everyone is different and 10 may be normal for you, but it is more than the vast majority of people so it is a good idea to get bloodwork done to eliminate deficiencies.

OP, you say you haven't been to a doctor since you were a little kid and don't plan to go to one now. Why not? If it is a cost/insurance issue, you can find free clinics to do the bloodwork. If it is a fear, find some way to get over it. If there is something you are missing from your diet or if one of your body's systems isn't functioning properly, you need to know now so you can take care of it before it becomes a serious/chronic problem that may eventually put you in the hospital.

I was where you are. I hadn't been to a doctor in years because I did not have insurance. I also was sleeping a ton. When I got to the point that I couldn't get up stairs without stopping to rest once or twice, I got "kidnapped" by my brother and SIL and taken to a free clinic. To make a long story short, I spent 4 days in the hospital because I was severely anemic which also caused edema (I had cankles! I NEVER have cankles!) and the stress of the anemia on my body, coupled with my weight and long term antidepressant use, pushed me over the line into T2 diabetes. A simple iron pill, coupled with diet and exercise, and I am now 109 lb. less and my T2D is fully managed.

Please get checked out.

• AutumnElf80
    AutumnElf80 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If this concerns you go and see a doctor, if you haven't been since you were eight you are way overdue anyway. Could be something ridiculously simple could be something complicated. And even though I received my Online Medical Degree in 3 easy payments of 19.99 I still don't feel comfortable diagnosing you without bloodwork.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Are you actually sleeping or just laying in bed? I can quite easily kill 12 hours laying in bed on a rainy Saturday just dozing on and off once I 'officially' wake up around 7:00.

"Back then everyone just assumed it was because I worked so much, or because some nights I wasn't allowed more than 2 hours of sleep."

You also say you haven't been to a doctor since you were 8 and probably won't see one "for another few years." What the????? Just from your brief post, it sounds like you've got bigger problems than over sleeping. If you are in the USA everyone has the ability to see a doctor, even if you have no money.