What time of day do you weigh in to consider you have reached your goal weight?

Options
If your goal weight was 70 kilos, would you want it to be 70 kilos first thing in the morning, after you've been to the toliet but before you've eaten, or half way through the day.

I get weighed at the gym by my trainer about half way through the day, but I would rather weigh myself at home, in the morning. If I go by his weight, then I would have to change what I currently weigh on my profile because it doesn't match.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I would think since most people weigh first thing in the morning, they would go with that
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I go with morning weight. After that food, clothing, drinks, etc can all effect what the scale says.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter. You'll get more consistent results if you weigh in the morning. But after you reach your goal and switch to maintenance, you should be aiming to keep your weight within a range. Normal fluctuation throughout the day will likely fall within that range, unless you're weighing right after you drink water or something.
  • cdcllcga01
    cdcllcga01 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Scales are like clocks - when you have more than one you are never sure of the time/weight. Most important thing is to have consistency - same time of day and same conditions (I.e. Clothing amount, same scale, etc.). Pick one to be your "official" record and go with it. It doesn't mean additional measurements aren't meaningful or interesting too! They just aren't "official".
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    You should have a maintenance range, because your weight will fluctuate a bit due to things like sodium intake, hormones/time of month etc etc. Most people chose a 3-5lb range. And the most accurate time to weight yourself is going to be first thing in the morning, after you use the bathroom.

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    You are really overthinking this. It doesn't matter. Just be consistent. If you normally weigh at 3:17 in the morning, then 3:17 in the morning is what you should go with.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would use the result from the scale I always use on the day I always weigh in. For me that is my home scale on Sunday mornings.
    If you usually record the weight from the gym scale as your weight then you should probably use that for the weight you enter. If you usually use your home scale result for your weight then use that. Pick one scale and be consistant.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I go by my "real" weight first thing in the morning, and record that on MFP, but I won't believe I've reached my "goal" weight until it's what I weigh at the doctor's office during the day.
  • pineapple_peach10
    pineapple_peach10 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Morning, nekkid, after peeing
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I just weigh in the morning after bathroom. If I hit my goal weight, I make a new goal, and won't stop until I like the way I look in the mirror, then it's time to maintain
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    The morning seems best. Longest time since your last meal most likely. After the toilet, before breakfast.
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I prefer first thing in the morning.
  • splashtree5
    splashtree5 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I weigh in the morning after i have been to the bathroom, yes before breakfast!