Newb trying to get a better understanding on caloric intake.....

Options
First, I'd like to say I sincerely appreciate how helpful everyone seems to be on this message board. There are A LOT of inspirational and motivational posters on here, and as a result this community is an excellent resource I feel fortunate to find.

The last couple months I have taken on a new appreciation and understanding of the type of dedication it will take to maintain my weight for the rest of my life thanks to many of you. With that said, I have a few areas I was wondering if others could clarify up for me.

A little background on me:

Height: 6"
Weight: 191
Weight Maintenance Range: 191-196 - Been maintaining for 2 weeks now -
Exercise Daily: Usually run 3-5 miles per day and 20 minutes of strength training 2-4 days per week. - I do not attempt to eat any exercise calories back (yet) - Average about 13K steps per day (including running)

I understand we are all different when it comes to finding the right amount of calories to consume based on many variables. Initially I was looking at MFP's "goal" (2550 per day) as my a possible starting point of caloric intake. However, recently I have been reading a lot about TDEE (2980 per day). I don't really understand which one I should be looking at as a realistic starting point/possible target. I have read numerous recommendations to incrementally add extra calories to your diet for a few different reasons which makes complete sense.

So far for my first two weeks of maintenance I have maintained my weight and it has only fluctuated 1 lb (either been 191 or 192/currently 191). I have been having about 4 days a week about 500 calories under MFP's goal and the other few days at or close to MFP's recommended total intake. I'm not necessarily looking to jump up to the TDEE number, but is that a number I could realistically work my way up to or should I really be focused on MFP's recommended number? I'm just really looking to get into a right frame of mind and understand of what to kind of expect.

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you are getting your numbers from, but the MFP goal is the MFP estimation of TDEE. What you are calling TDEE is someone else's estimation of TDEE. The only thing we can say with certainty is that your TDEE is not equal to either of those numbers. To find your average TDEE, you eat at some level over a period of time. If you remain the same weight, you've found it. If you lose weight, then your TDEE is higher. If you gain weight, your TDEE is lower. The MFP goal and the TDEE estimate you mentioned are just good starting points.
  • Glossberg
    Glossberg Posts: 40 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Okay, that makes more sense. So what is a realistic time to stay at a specific amount of calories? Try an amount for 1-2 weeks and see if the scale moves one way or the other? If my weight changes make the adjustment on caloric intake?
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    couple weeks most likely.
  • Glossberg
    Options
    Okay, thank you!
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    When I first hit maintanance, I very slowly upped by calories by about 100 every two weeks. In other words, i did 1400 for 2 weeks, 1500 for 2 weeks etc. I know that sounds really slow, but after a year and a half of losing, i wanted to take my time and let my body get used to the changes. Once I stopped losing weight, I knew i had my maintanance. For me, it actually ended up being around the same as what MFP would have given me, and what most TDEE calculators said.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Remember to compare MFP and TDEE numbers you have to add exercise calories to the MFP number - they should end up very similar.

The choice is really personal preference over how you account for exercise (which you must do at maintenance) and how you prefer to eat (same every day or more on high training days).

My exercise volume is very high but varies enormously day to day - 3000+ exercise calories yesterday for example which I simply have to fuel on the day.

With your routine either method would work as you seem pretty consistent and without very high peaks. As you say you didn't eat back exercise calories while losing you really are following the TDEE method already. So your recent rate of weight loss will give you an idea what your maintenance calories may be.

One of the big variables of your actual TDEE compared to estimated TDEE is your logging accuracy, so don't place too much faith in an estimate.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    The MFP number expects you to eat back calories. The TDEE number includes your average calorie intake.

So the MFP plus exercise calories should be similar to the TDEE number.
    Just remember the generic MFP exercise numbers are usually considered high, so people typically halve them when they log them.
  • Glossberg
    Options
    All excellent information. Thank you guys very much!