What can you cook using lentils

Options
Kaylee6349
Kaylee6349 Posts: 18 Member
I have been told that lentils are a great healthy food and I was wondering if anyone had any good recipes besides soups? Thank you

Replies

• amspmfp
    amspmfp Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    http://www.laurainthekitchen.com/recipes/vegetarian-shepards-pie/
    (Watch the video, I think the diced tomatoes were omitted from the provided ingredient list)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Dahl! All the Dahl.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Simmer French petite green lentils in a flavorful vegetable stock, reinforced with mirepoix, bay leaf, and fresh thyme. Season to taste and keep at a gentle simmer. Do not allow the cooking liquid to get too low.

Meanwhile, cook off some bacon until crispy. Retain bacon fat. Chop bacon and set aside. Next, fine dice any veggies you want in the finished lentils such as carrots, red bell pepper, leeks, garlic, etc.

Sweat off the vegetables in a pan with some of retained the bacon fat. Do not overcook or caramelize the vegetables. Season with kosher salt, fresh cracked black pepper, and any other seasonings within reason. Add the chopped bacon and some chopped fresh thyme leaves. Stir to combine.

When the lentils are done, drain the liquid, discard the vegetables, and stir in the diced, per-cooked veggies and bacon. The result should be a smoky, hearty lentil side that pairs well with pork, chicken, or fish.
  • hvjc
    hvjc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I cook lentils in chicken broth, with a bay leaf, a bit of garlic, and some onion/leek whatever I have. Cook til tender but not mushy. I then add them to salads, and they go especially well with feta, walnuts and arugula. I just had some for lunch today. I use beluga lentils, du puy (more expensive), green and brown lentils too. The orange ones will turn into yellow mush (great for dahl) but not for salads.