ATTN: Certified Personal Trainers!!

Options
Just curious what process ya'll had to go through to become a CPT? Did you attend college and major in a field related to health & fitness? Or did you just get your CPT through NASM or ACSM? If so, what are your opinions on just going through NASM or ACSM to become certified? Opinions, advice, etc.. Would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Getting certified is pretty easy, even through a reputable organization such as ACE or ACSM. It's helpful to have a basic understanding of anatomy, but as long as you study you can definitely pass.

I would start with the cert, make sure you're interested and actually enjoy the science aspect, and then go on to actual college degrees in the field. It is all science so that has to be your cup of tea.

I have multiple certs and my degree is in a different field. It's been pretty tough to find a job in the field without the experience that comes with the degree in the form of internship. I'm actually looking into offering some free classes or maybe volunteering just to get my feet wet. To be fair, where I live it's tough to find any job. But I think I would have an easier time of it if I had the hands on experience. It all depends on your situation and level of commitment.
  • MShayne2414
    MShayne2414 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Who did you get your certification through?

My plan was to get certified and start going immediently to work. Then I had plans on possibly going to school and getting my bachelors in Nutrition. I'm so torn and confused though. I def know this is what I want and think it would be great for me.

I'm curious, do most gyms not hire CFP that does not have a degree in a specific field correlating with health & fitness?
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I am cpt through acsm, fitness instructor through ace. I am also an inclusive fitness trainer.

As far as the gyms go, I'm going to say it's just the area I live in. Jobs are hard to come by and I would guess I'm competing against a lot of people for the positions I want. I could also probably take a lower job to get my foot in the door but instead im just going to do my own thing.

Do some research-contact some local gyms and see what they say. That is how I decided on ACSM to begin with.