Miso Soup

Options
mmnv79
mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
I like trying different foods. I heard miso soup is good for you and my local supermarket sells Yutaka miso soup. Are prepacked/commercial brands any good? What miso tastes like? Are there any recipes out there? I Googled recipes but I live in a small town and don't have access to Japanese mushrooms, mirin, soy sauce, etc. Thanks!

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I love Miso soup, I have it pretty much daily. It has a very mild, salty flavour. I just buy the pre-made miso paste, I like Hikari Miso brand. Comes with 12 little sachets you add to hot water.
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Same as Alatariel, we have the 12 sachets of Hikari brand miso paste constantly in our pantry. In Australia, it is stocked in the regular supermarkets but not sure about the US or elsewhere.
    If I want to make it more filling, sometimes I add sliced mushrooms and blanched diced firm tofu to it.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I buy miso paste from the Asian grocer. If you use that, you want to add if last so the bacteria from the fermentation helps your gut! (At least, that's what I've heard)
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I live in a small town in Ireland and that's the only one available, but I'll try to buy Hikari online.
  • SkinnyAdele2
    SkinnyAdele2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    you can put any ol' thing in it-- mushrooms, cooked veggies, strands of Asian pasta, more siracha or hot chili oil, or a few drops of sesame oil...
  • ShortMrsN
    ShortMrsN Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I love miso soup!
    My new favourite way to have it is with plenty of sliced spring onion, rice shaped in an onigiri mould (I bulk cook rice, mould it, then freeze) and fried shallots sprinkled on top!
  • TheSunshineQueen
    TheSunshineQueen Posts: 276 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Miso soup is delicious, though it's definitely an acquired taste. Most of my siblings can't stand stand the stuff, but I could happily drink bowls of it.

I've tried various powdered packages but none tasted good. I prefer using paste or buying a huge carton of it from my local Japanese restaurant. I prefer yellow miso, but red miso and white miso are also fantastic. You might want to start with white since that has the mildest flavor of the three. Yellow miso is sort of in-between, and red miso has a very overwhelming flavor. It's deliciously rich.

Definitely experiment with it. I personally love adding spring onions, seaweed, spinach, mushrooms, scallions, tofu, and/or eggs. Yum!