OT: Job Search for Teaching Position.......Help!

Options
I need some advice from my fellow teachers. I just graduated this past May (yea!) and now on the job hunt. I am just wondering what all you guys did to get your first job as a teacher. I have applied to all the districts I would like to work for, but I feel like I should do more. Do I contact anyone? Do I email principals? What do I do? Any advice is very much appreciated!

TIA :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• rwalsh
    rwalsh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Did you get an interview where you student taught? Are there districts hiring where you live? Do they use online services to pull applicants? I live in Ohio and the job market is very competitive here. My district went to an online system for posting jobs and receiving applications- however, I know of one person who came in to drop her information off to my principal, and he put her on the interview list because of that personal touch. I say if you are comfortable stopping in to hand off information, it couldn't hurt.
  • sirrah17
    sirrah17 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am a former teacher....does that count?

Make sure you are completing all the requirements so that you know you are, in fact, being considered. Often, if your application file is at all incomplete, you won't be considered. Calling the districts' HR office is not out of line. They'll happily check to make sure they have everything you need.

Start networking. If there are teachers or administrators that can help you, use them. A good word can go a long way!

Keep your ears open for openings. Remember that often times when one position is filled another one opens (if they have filled it with an already employed teacher).

Are there districts that are opening new schools? If so, focus on these. They will be hiring in large numbers.

Be willing to just get your foot in the door. Expand your ideas about what grade level or subject you want to teach. Once you're in, you can then request a move later.

Good luck!
  • JessicaT2007
    JessicaT2007 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response!

rwalsh - The problem I am having is that I did my student teaching in one area of the state, but looking for a job in a different area since we are moving at the end of this month. I have been on the couple of main application sites that we have for the region I am looking to teach in. I also went to the school sites directly to make sure I did not need to apply there too. There are a lot of possible positions in this region that I have applied to on the website. I just don't know if I am being too impatient about hearing from them, or I should be contacting them again. Maybe once I am in the area in the next couple of weeks, I will stop by the schools myself and see what I can do. Thanks for that information.

Sirrah - former teachers are welcomed to give me advice anytime! :bigsmile: I will make sure to check with the schools HR Dept to see if I am missing anything. I am waiting on my official certificate, I wonder if that has anything to do with it. As of now, I am open to all areas and grades of teaching that my cert covers! I just want to make sure I land a job, it doesn't have to be my dream job quite yet. Just teaching would be wonderful!
  • checkmatekingtwo
    checkmatekingtwo Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Good luck on the job search! I'm a career changer (20 years in telecommunications before deciding to make the switch to teaching). It's a tough job market for teachers at the moment. Just keep at it. Sign up to be a substitute teacher in the district(s) where you want to be employed. It's a great way to get a foot in the door and a great way for you to check out the schools before they hire you. Especially say you're interested in any long-term substitute positions. Those often turn into full-time jobs.

Also, don't be discouraged about not hearing back. Many principals will wait until school starts to do any real hiring --- they hold out hoping the "perfect" candidate will turn up before they seriously look at the resumes of first-time teachers. It's not fair, but it's a fact of life. My first teaching position I was hired the day school started, even though I had interviewed for the job 10 weeks before and not heard a thing.

And don't give up hope if you don't get hired when school starts. Keep checking for openings throughout the year. Those mid-year jobs are often easier for first-timers to get, because the experienced teachers are set for the year and aren't allowed to switch jobs mid-year. Especially look for jobs posted around January --- often teachers will retire around the holidays.

Hang in there. It will happen for you.