2»

Replies

• charlotteX92X
    charlotteX92X Posts: 344 Member
    In the cupboard :) it must be spreadable at all times
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited May 2015
    If it's all natural, well stirred first, then in the fridge. Store in the fridge not to avoid it going rancid (doesn't last long enough here) but to avoid it separating out again, I'm a stir well-once person.

If it's not all natural, in the garbage.
  • HotKanye
    HotKanye Posts: 103 Member
    I wouldn't use peanut butter that didn't need to be refrigerated. It generally means it's been made shelf stable by hydrogenated oils which yech. No thanks. Peanut butter should have at MOST two ingredients and it should live in the fridge.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Skippy "natural" isn't as natural as it could be, if the definition is "contains only peanuts" and maybe salt.
    Skippy No-Stir "Natural":
    Serving Size: 32g
    Amount per serving
    Calories 190
    Total Fat 16g
    Saturated Fat 3.5g
    Cholesterol 0mg
    Sodium 150mg
    Carbohydrates 6g
    Fiber 2g
    Sugar 3g
    Protein 7g
    Ingredients: Roasted Peanuts, Sugar, Palm Oil, Salt.

Palm Oil? Why would I want something like that in my PB? Some national health authorities specifically recommend against consuming palm oil or viewing palm oil as a replacement for the transfats companies like Hormel were so used to incorporating in their foods.

PB doesn't need additives. I don't like supporting makers who still sell crappy PB to the unsuspecting, but sometimes I gotta buy what's on the shelf rather than make a special trip to the local store that makes their own with nothing but peanuts.

Fortunately there are choices. Just a few:

Teddy has all natural and unsalted versions:
    nutrition-chart.jpg

Kraft (Canada) All Natural ingredients: 100% peanuts. No salt.

Santa Cruz - hey, they offer "dark roasted" versions of their organic PB. Nice. Ingredients: Peanuts, salt.