winter work lunches

Options
Lemonshake
Lemonshake Posts: 223 Member
I know its warm for most of you guys but im over here freezing my butt off.
half an hour for lunch, access to a microwave and a sandwich press. I work for a quite major hardware branch over here and so though while most people wont think so i work my butt off from the moment i get n there so hearty stuff is the go please.
I make a lot of soups and with four kids there is never any left overs.

Replies

• Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Any slow cooking meats,

I make lots of stews, meat, heaps of veggies and some carbs like potato or lentils

Lentil based with meat

Tuna and pasta bakes

just make a double batch of dinner and re heat at work?

Use a slow cooker or pressure cooker for tuff cuts of meat to be nice and tender

My fav at the moment is Hungarian beef goulash with dumplings

OR beef and mushroom stew

I also do big batches of shepherds pie mince with beef, Instead of making into a pie i just add heaps of extra veggies and eat the filling :) high protein

Usually do 1kg of lean beef mince and then a kg or more of mixed vegies. ie onion celery, carrot, tomatoes, potato, parsnip, capsicum, peas, and even add in beans too

• Sydking
    Options
    Getting cold in Sydney aye, im not ready for it.....
  • Sydking
    Options
    Also if you bring baking paper you can cook in the sandwich press. I do it quite often for a quick meal when i cant be bothered washing pots and pans in my lunch break

Fish fillets cook in sandwich press in like 5 min, I also flatten out chicken breast, cook for 5 min, then add pasta sauce ontop then grated cheese and put back in. Like a healthy chicken parma.

Also like to pre make salmon or tuna patties and have with salad.

Sandwich press even good for re heating steaks and chicken. I cant eat microwaved re heated chicken it tastes funny as. Need to heat it slow

So its that's the case i like to knock up honey and mustard baked chicken thighs with potatoes

The options are actually endless, Depends what you like.

My issue is i like EVERYTHING
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Double your soups, stews, and chili and freeze half in individual containers to grab and go in the morning before work.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hi there Lemonshake! One of my winter favorites is unstuffed pepper soup... not sure if the kids will like it since it has loads of green peppers (which is a great source of Vitamin C), but it's really filling and low calorie. I use Morningstar Crumbles rather than meat but you can use ground turkey or beef. Here's a recipe really similar to what I make, but I use no salt tomato sauce and diced tomatoes because I'm watching my sodium intake. I take it for lunch a lot and just nuke it for a few minutes. It keeps me full through the afternoon.

http://community.tasteofhome.com/community_forums/f/30/p/32094/33445.aspx#33445

Enjoy!
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Def soups and stews with a nice hunk of bread in the winter for me =) Tons of great recipes on Pinterest, Allrecipes, etc