Can you measure two tbsp of ranch on a plate for me?

Options

Replies

• paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    what state do you live in? I will buy you spoons and cups.
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You can get a decent set of measuring spoons for $1 at any of the dollar store out there. They all have them as well as sets of measuring cups. They will go a long way toward helping you reach your goals. A scale is nice, but a luxury in this case, I think. You're starting out with a great attitude - getting creative with what you've got and using your resources. Don't get discouraged. This is one of the best investments you can make for yourself and your family, so you are on the right track and already succeeding!! I don't know you, but I'm damned proud of you for putting this question out there and sticking with it to get some good answers (mixed in with the stuff better off ignored). Yay for you!
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    I literally do not have $1

I've been where you are. It gets better! Look at eat day as a challenging adventure, and each night when you're done and you make it to bed it's another victory.

If you have measuring cups, there are 16 tablespoons in a cup. Which means 4 tablespoons in a 1/4 c. measuring cup. So half of the 1/4c measuring cup is 2 tablespoons.

Also...thriftshops and yard sales are great for random dishes and such for a dime. Who cares if they don't match?

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    OP,

I'm not sure what state you are in, but there may be some additional assistance programs you can look into that may be able to provide you with a food scale and some measuring cups. I would try to contact your town/city government to see if they know something. I would tell them it would be beneficial for your children's nutritional needs. Not sure if it would work, but it's worth a shot.

A food scale from Amazon will run you about $15 for a good digital one. I know it may be hard, but it would be worth the investment.
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    paris458 wrote: »
    what state do you live in? I will buy you spoons and cups.

It's possible to send stuff via amazon as well, if she has a wishlist set with her address and said measuring cups/spoons on it. (the address is not visible to the sender) Might be slightly more convenient.

okay I can do that too. OP can you send me a message and I can help you out?
  • sea_munky
    sea_munky Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You know those cups of dipping sauce they give away at fast food places? For example, Jack in the Box has "Buttermilk House Sauce" that they give you if you ask for Ranch. Well, that dipping cup is about 1.5 tablespoons. So you can have that much and 1/3 more. Hope that helps.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    I haven't read through this thread, so I don't know if someone has already suggested this, but if you open a bottle of ranch dressing and pour the dressing into the lid of the bottle, then that is approximately one tablespoon, depending on the brand/bottle.

• hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Is there an empty soda can laying around the house? Wash the bottom side of the can. Turn the can upside down. That depression in the bottom of the can measures exactly 1 tablespoon. Source: http://theboatgalley.com/measuring-spoons/

OR here's this...
    LLDTC1U.jpg
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Do you have any measuring spoons or cups in your medicine cabinet - the ones for children's medicine or cough syrup? Same measurement.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I make my own Ranch dressing since store bought has too much crap in it that's bad for you. It's not as creamy as store bought, but two tablespoons is only 100 calories. I find that since it's not as thick, it distributes over my salad better and I don't need to use more.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    minizebu wrote: »
    I haven't read through this thread, so I don't know if someone has already suggested this, but if you open a bottle of ranch dressing and pour the dressing into the lid of the bottle, then that is approximately one tablespoon, depending on the brand/bottle.

This is what I was going to suggest for measuring it for now.
  • NYBalbowa
    NYBalbowa Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Check out Craigslist's Free Stuff section.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    I didn't have ranch, only thousand Island... So it may spread out a little more.

Basically... 2.5"x3"

jiz46w5540bm.jpg

I have never seen GREEN thousand island dressing!

• yvonnejobin1
    yvonnejobin1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I know this has nothing to do with the measurement, but it's a helpful calorie cutting tip... Walmart sells bolthouse brand ranch dressing in the salad section. Its made from Greek yogurt, so it's much lower in calories (I think it's 45 calories per serving) and tastes just as good as hidden valley. Totally worth a try :-)
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I didn't have ranch, only thousand Island... So it may spread out a little more.

Basically... 2.5"x3"

jiz46w5540bm.jpg

I have never seen GREEN thousand island dressing!

Meh... Early morning light. Not green.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I know this has nothing to do with the measurement, but it's a helpful calorie cutting tip... Walmart sells bolthouse brand ranch dressing in the salad section. Its made from Greek yogurt, so it's much lower in calories (I think it's 45 calories per serving) and tastes just as good as hidden valley. Totally worth a try :-)

While your suggestion is great, the cost of that dressing is far more for less than if she bought Hidden Valley.
    if you can't find a buck or two for a cheap measuring set, I don't think the more expensive dressing will work.

OP, you've received some great suggestions here. If I had ranch, I would've measured some for you. But ranch isn't really my thing.

You've got great spirit, good luck
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    http://www.Freecycle.org

Find a local group and join. Ask if anybody has some of the basics you need, such as measuring spoons and cups. And the best part? Everything is F-R-E-E.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Pick up a set of measuring spoons from the dollar store... As for the ranch. I love the stuff too, but it is high in cals.. So I often put two tbsp in a container and add two tbsp water and shake... Makes it last twice as long and still has the ranch flavour... And less cals to boot.

I literally do not have $1...but maybe Friday since it's pay day. We already took money from rent. I guess I could do that..but priorities. I'll have to see what we get Friday (family wise). That's a great idea with the water. I could try that... Or maybe add low calorie hot sauce and part water lol that would work even better for me. Yum.

The dollar tree by me has a zero cal buffalo sauce which is really quite good. Especially mixed 50/50 with ranch.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    Pick up a set of measuring spoons from the dollar store... As for the ranch. I love the stuff too, but it is high in cals.. So I often put two tbsp in a container and add two tbsp water and shake... Makes it last twice as long and still has the ranch flavour... And less cals to boot.

I literally do not have $1...but maybe Friday since it's pay day. We already took money from rent. I guess I could do that..but priorities. I'll have to see what we get Friday (family wise). That's a great idea with the water. I could try that... Or maybe add low calorie hot sauce and part water lol that would work even better for me. Yum.

The dollar tree by me has a zero cal buffalo sauce which is really quite good. Especially mixed 50/50 with ranch.

That sounds delicious. Thank you. :)