Help with core

Options
Okay so im 5'9 180 lbs. I cant seem to get rid of my stomach weight. I think im in decent shape but according to my bmi i am slightly overweight. Any advice is appreciated thanks.

Replies

• savlov30
    savlov30 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    ABS are made in the kitchen. You got to eat right to really get good ABS.
  • Soloud
    Soloud Posts: 220
    Options
    Yea thanks for your input, i dont really eat right i guess. I dont really pay attention because alot of people say alot of different things about whats good or not, and my friends dont seem to need to watch what they eat, guess i just have a slow metabolism.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Regular intense exercise and a good diet is the way to do it. If for whatever reason, that's not possible. Then at the risk of being flamed for being overly simplistic, I'll give you two easy to remember suggestions that might help you get a little closer to your goal of dropping bodyfat.

1) Lift weights or do bodyweight strength training whenever you can for as long as you can (with proper form and hydration)
    2) Eat more protein whenever possible/minimize the starchy carbs whenever possible
    tips: instead of breakfast toast - order another couple of eggs or side of bacon/sausage, instead of french fries - order a second hamburger or bigger hamburger, instead of pizza - order chicken wings/chicken tenders, instead of ice cream or cake - make a protein shake instead;... plug in veggies whenever possible. And if it's green veggies, eat as much as you can/want.
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I like Scooby's rotisserie core workout:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/2012/07/01/rotisserie-functional-core-abs-workout/

I see you are a gamer. I had a weak core from too much game/computer time in chairs with poor lumbar support and think this workout has helped. If you game socially, it can be done on the living room floor while watching others take their turn.

But as others have said, I'm nowhere near six pack abs because I have way too much pudge. Working on the pudge with my diet.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    You can do thousands of sit-ups a day, but you will never see ab definition without the proper diet. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as spot reduction. You have to lose body fat, and the only way that can occur is through caloric deficit. Most likely you are also consuming above your maintenance calories. Figure out a rough estimate of your maintenance calories, and create a plan to have your weekly caloric intake about 3500 less than maintenance. Strength training on top of this will help you burn fat and lose more weight, while also changing your body composition for the better. You want to aim to lose about 1-2 pounds per week. If you are more overweight, you may experience more weekly loss in the beginning, with some being body fat and some water weight. Do some research on macro nutrient splits to also help change your body composition. What you eat isn't as important though. You can satisfy your caloric and macro nurtrient goals through a number of foods. I compete in physique competitions, and eat ice cream and pop tarts! I just know what fits in my overall goals.
  • abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters that seeing muscle definition is going to involve removing fat via diet, but something that might help you- all my weight tends to centralize in my gut, just like a guy. I can have skinny arms and a gaunt face, and I'll still have a roll around my middle. When I started doing push ups, I was surprised by how much my mid section tightened up, especially my sides. Granted, you can't eat cheetos and big macs all day, knock out a few push ups and call it good, but that one exercise has been most beneficial to me for my midsection.
  • Soloud
    Soloud Posts: 220
    Options
    Thank you all for you input its certainly alot of good advice to keep me at least motivated and hopeful, except the lose weight thing idk i really dont think its that bad i just got to figure the right combo of diet and exercise to tighten i dont necessarily care about the abs which wud be nice but i dont think i have the body frame for it, again much appreciated good luck to all