I've been losing weight but the days that I do the most excersize I end up gaining a little the nex?

Options
I've been losing at least .2 ish of a pound each day and excersing everyday but this weekend I did a lottt of excersize like walked 15 miles fast and biked a mountain ect, so more than I normally do but somehow I gained weight?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Water weight to repair muscles. It's normal.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    You won't lose every single day. Stop depending on the scale so much. The body fluctuates all the time.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Exercise strains the muscles, so they hold onto more water as part of the healing process.
  • brillanta
    brillanta Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that post big exercise gain always happens to me. I make it a good next day or 2 and it recovers nicely
  • ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    It's a part of natural self-preservation going back to our cave man ancestors. You 'over' exercise. Your body is compensating for the sweat and energy you 'sacrifice'. Your body is simply stabilizing and re-adjusting your metabolism. That's a good thing.

Oh, and My_As... er _Butt is absolutely correct. You don't lose weight on a time clock. It's a variable thing. And there will be times when you actually gain weight but your clothes are still getting looser on you. This is a matter of trading body fat for the denser muscle tissue. (And, btw, you cannot 'convert' fat to muscle, they are two completely different tissue types and 'never the twain shall meet').

The bottom line is, don't obsess over what the scales say. They are only one tool in your arsenal of guides and aids in your pursuit of the 'new' you. Oh, yeah. And, a tape measure needs to be one of those tools, too. Do you monitor your other measurements in MFP besides your weight? You should. That gives you a better overall view of your success.

And, for goodness sakes, do not weigh yourself every day! Once a week is more than enough. Once a month is better. (And it feels so good to step on those scales and slide that weight down and down and down or to get on a platform scale and watch the wheel spin or the digits flash and settle on a number far lower than the last time!)

I know it's hard not to 'just check' when you see the scales. If you have a standard platform style bathroom scales, stuff 'em in the linen closet. That way, you won't be tempted to keep 'just checking' on a regular/daily basis. It also makes it easier to realign your dietary habits if you make those changes part of a daily lifestyle - a way of life - and not something from a special program of diet if you are not constantly reminding yourself of your progress or that you are 'on a diet'.

Good luck.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Water weight to repair muscles. It's normal.
    ^this
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    ReeseG4350 wrote: »
    It's a part of natural self-preservation going back to our cave man ancestors. You 'over' exercise. Your body is compensating for the sweat and energy you 'sacrifice'. Your body is simply stabilizing and re-adjusting your metabolism. That's a good thing.

Oh, and My_As... er _Butt is absolutely correct. You don't lose weight on a time clock. It's a variable thing. And there will be times when you actually gain weight but your clothes are still getting looser on you. This is a matter of trading body fat for the denser muscle tissue. (And, btw, you cannot 'convert' fat to muscle, they are two completely different tissue types and 'never the twain shall meet').

The Bro-science is strong with this one...
  • splashtree5
    splashtree5 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    It should be water drained by lactic acid.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    And, for goodness sakes, do not weigh yourself every day! Once a week is more than enough. Once a month is better. (And it feels so good to step on those scales and slide that weight down and down and down or to get on a platform scale and watch the wheel spin or the digits flash and settle on a number far lower than the last time!)

I know it's hard not to 'just check' when you see the scales. If you have a standard platform style bathroom scales, stuff 'em in the linen closet. That way, you won't be tempted to keep 'just checking' on a regular/daily basis. It also makes it easier to realign your dietary habits if you make those changes part of a daily lifestyle - a way of life - and not something from a special program of diet if you are not constantly reminding yourself of your progress or that you are 'on a diet'.

Good luck.

I disagree. I couldn't stand weighing weekly or monthly. I can't see how less data would be a good thing. Weighing less often means that your loss could get masked by fluctuations. I also find that it makes it so much harder to stay motivated (I'd much rather have the chance to see a change everyday than have to wait a whole month before seeing if I'm getting anywhere) and it puts so much more importance on it.

Different things work for different people, weighing less often doesn't work for everyone. Each person has to find out what works best for them. For some weekly or monthly is fine, for others daily is better.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

Good luck.

I disagree. I couldn't stand weighing weekly or monthly. I can't see how less data would be a good thing. Weighing less often means that your loss could get masked by fluctuations. I also find that it makes it so much harder to stay motivated (I'd much rather have the chance to see a change everyday than have to wait a whole month before seeing if I'm getting anywhere) and it puts so much more importance on it.

Different things work for different people, weighing less often doesn't work for everyone. Each person has to find out what works best for them. For some weekly or monthly is fine, for others daily is better.

I don't weigh every day because I'm not going to do anything with the extra data if I have it . But going a whole month doesn't seem like a good idea. A person could gain or lose a lot of weight in a month and without more frequent weigh ins, they wouldn't know. It could take them a whole month or more before they can overcome what they missed.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

The bottom line is, don't obsess over what the scales say. They are only one tool in your arsenal of guides and aids in your pursuit of the 'new' you. Oh, yeah. And, a tape measure needs to be one of those tools, too. Do you monitor your other measurements in MFP besides your weight? You should. That gives you a better overall view of your success.

Good luck.

Where do I even start with this?
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

Good luck.

I don't weigh every day because I'm not going to do anything with the extra data if I have it . But going a whole month doesn't seem like a good idea. A person could gain or lose a lot of weight in a month and without more frequent weigh ins, they wouldn't know. It could take them a whole month or more before they can overcome what they missed.

Did you see the post a while ago where someone posted their weight loss graphs for the last few weeks or so with the trend line - the daily one showed a clear decrease, but the weekly one actually had his weight going up. I should have bookmarked it, it showed perfectly why I like to weigh everyday. I also like to know when I've got down to a new low as soon as it happens, and that's 7x more likely weighing everyday.

But yeah, once a week would drive me crazy enough, monthly would just kill me haha
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Daily tracking rocks...particularly as a woman, who works out ...those daily fluctuations might have driven me mad but they don't matter in the overall picture

2gya8mpg62ud.jpg
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options

Good luck.

Did you see the post a while ago where someone posted their weight loss graphs for the last few weeks or so with the trend line - the daily one showed a clear decrease, but the weekly one actually had his weight going up. I should have bookmarked it, it showed perfectly why I like to weigh everyday. I also like to know when I've got down to a new low as soon as it happens, and that's 7x more likely weighing everyday.

But yeah, once a week would drive me crazy enough, monthly would just kill me haha

I weigh everyday, but I only mark the one on Sundays. I don't rely 100% on the scale. I plateaued for about 3 weeks, but continued to lose inches all over.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I've been losing at least .2 ish of a pound each day and excersing everyday but this weekend I did a lottt of excersize like walked 15 miles fast and biked a mountain ect, so more than I normally do but somehow I gained weight?

I went hiking three days in a row over Memorial Day weekend, at moderate altitude (altitude of between 4,000-6,000 feet, in Yosemite). We hiked 8.2 miles with 2400' of elevation gain/loss the first day, 10 miles 2400' of elevation gain the second day, and 6 miles with almost no elevation gain the third day. On Friday I weighed 142.5 pounds. Saturday I weighed 144 pounds. Today (Tuesday) I weighed in at 147.5. It's water weight.