Is this true????

Options
hiaaitsmegan2
hiaaitsmegan2 Posts: 18 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Has anyone found this tool (after you complete your entry for the day) to be accurate?

nxai47wfya84.jpg

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Most don't

I tracked it for a few weeks and on average it was within the range ..
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    No it's never been accurate for me. In fact it's been completely useless, my losses have never even came close to what they predicted.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    sometimes but hardly ever...because I don't have 2 days the same ever.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Take it with a grain of salt.

Mine hasn't been accurate in over a year... but that's because I was pregnant and gaining.
  • ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    "If every day were like today...
    Yes. If you ate exactly the same foods/calories and burned exactly the same calories then, yes. You'd be in a pretty good range. But...
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    sometimes but hardly ever...because I don't have 2 days the same ever.

And then, too, bear in mind that that calculation is an average, assuming an identical calorie intake and burn, and the bottom line on that 5 week estimate clearly states as much.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    The key phrase is "If every day were like today..."

It's simply taking your present weight and the deficit for the day and your estimated calorie requirements, and making a simple linear calculation based on those three numbers. It's nice for a pat-on-the-back after completing your diary for the day, maybe a gut check if you're tracking your numbers, but not much more than that.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,127 Member
    Options
    I made note of it once ... and by the time 5 weeks rolled around, I had actually lost more.

But yes, the key phrase is "if every day were like today ..." as mentioned above. But every day is not like today.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how accurately you are logging your calories in and calories out. If what you log for both is exactly right and you have the same for five weeks, it would be correct. If your calorie counts are off one way or the other, then it won't be right. But the main point is to give you an idea of the end result of what you did today. Knowing that you are under by 100 calories or over by 200 doesn't tell you much until you compare it to your goal.
  • dirtyflirty30
    dirtyflirty30 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Inaccurate, but motivational! I personally like it.
  • chocolatexxmintt
    chocolatexxmintt Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    No! It's only based on that particular day unless you are willing to do exactly the same thing food and exercise wise for the next five weeks ...
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I'm supposed to weigh 211 lbs by Friday. I'm currently at 206.8. I did mark it on my calendar one time , If every day were like today you'd weigh 211 lbs by May 29.

I've found that if I behave myself, and am rigorous with my logging and with my staying at or below my calorie goals, I meet or exceed the 5 week goal....if I go over or am not careful...then I don't. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    it's a rough projection...the accuracy of that projection is going to vary considerably given any number of variables for which every day may not be like today.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    No its never been accurate for me either/
  • weavingtheweb
    weavingtheweb Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    @CyberTone explained about this perfectly earlier today in another thread, quoting:
    CyberTone wrote: »
    ​Since the 5-week weight projections are just an estimate anyway, you can divide each day's Calories Remaining by 100 (i.e. move the decimal point two positions to the left) to provide a rough estimate of how many pounds you would lose in 5 weeks if you ate and exercised the exact same way for the next 35 days, which is highly unlikely.

So my current Check-In weight is 149.6 lbs. I close out my day and have 81 Calories Remaining. I move the decimal point to the left two places to get a rough estimated weight loss of 0.81 lbs. in 35 days (5 weeks), if every day were like today.

So 149.6 lbs. minus 0.81 lbs. equals 148.79 lbs. The MFP 5-week estimate shows 148.5 lbs., which is within one percent variance using the above method.

In the end, these are all just estimates!

tly56tujka3x.jpg

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Never - not even a tiny bit close
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    The amount of neuroses I feel it would take to test this theory, at least for me, is not worth it. I can't ever remember what MFP said I'd weigh 5 weeks ago, and I'm definitely not going to try to eat the same way every single day to find out. My opinion is that it's essentially useless, although if it's telling you you'll lose weight if you continue on as you are, I suppose that somewhat motivating.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    it was true one time.

i literally shrieked.

LOL
  • kelcarm75
    kelcarm75 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    "If every day were like today ..." will never happen!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    DirrtyH wrote: »
    The amount of neuroses I feel it would take to test this theory, at least for me, is not worth it. I can't ever remember what MFP said I'd weigh 5 weeks ago, and I'm definitely not going to try to eat the same way every single day to find out. My opinion is that it's essentially useless, although if it's telling you you'll lose weight if you continue on as you are, I suppose that somewhat motivating.

I always took it to mean that if you stayed under your calories every day...you'd reach the milestone.

I never took it to eat exactly the same foods and I certainly have not done that...but I have found that if I stay under my calories consistently...I get pretty close to that goal or even pass it.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    DirrtyH wrote: »

You can just go back to that day and see what it said you would weigh in 5 weeks.