Cleanses, Fad Diets, and Social Media

Options
So lately I have been seeing a lot of people on my Facebook news feed who are doing "cleanses" or "detoxes" and it really annoys me. Then I read the comments on their statuses, and there is no advice to stop doing a cleanse, only things like "Good for you!" and "You can do it!" and I think, how are there so many clueless people out there? So I decided to post this anti-cleanse status, linking this Huffpost article:
huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/18/detox-health-nutrition-diet_n_5173783.html

ea78kd8uykgv.png

This was the response I got from a girl I know, who is very opinionated about GMOs, the "toxins" in our food, etc. - and my subsequent response:

ojdbvkgv4t32.png

My question is, do you try to share correct information on social media, when you see trends such as cleanses and fad diets? Or do you just ignore it and allow people to make their own mistakes? I try not to share too often, as I don't want to annoy people, but I feel like for all of the good information out there, there is 20 times the amount of BS, and if I can get one person to stop with the woo, then I'm doing my part.

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I don't have Facebook for that reason, too much BS! I had instagram and it was the same , ppl promoting cleanse and detox products . I did speak up several times and comment that I felt those things where snake oil And nonsense, but I just got frustrated and deleted the app from my phone. It drove me nuts to see my friends and family buy into that type of stuff. People are constantly going to look for a quick fix because they don't want to put in the hard work.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    No, no sharing of what I think is right...because no matter how legit it may be from my perspective...people who believe otherwise are not going to change their point of view because of something I've posted. I don't even engage with them whether its about politics, religion, diet etc.

What I do though is for some who is evangelical about what they do believe and constantly flog on social media, is hide their posts, turn off notifications etc...I don't want to be subjected to their point of view as much as they don't want to be subjected to mine.

If some asks a genuine question, more than happy to respond with my own experience or point them to somewhere that I may have found some relevant information.

Sometimes I have ignored my 'no sharing' or commenting stance, but then I am only human ;) Sometimes I have gotten carried away on here, but again, I am only human.

In the past I was an ardent poster of particular ways (depending which fad diet or genuinely healthy diet I may have been following at the) being the only way, now I am more..do what works for you.

• CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I share if it gets excessive. Like when a bunch of people from my hometown thought multilevel marketing schemes were great ways to make money (some still do...*facepalm*). The cleanses and detoxing crap I haven't seen too much of, apart from one person. It really just frustrates me and I'd be putting forth a lot of energy if I was to address everything that annoyed me on social media, lol. Recently, people have been 'liking' the "teatox" skinnymint page. Like are you freaking kidding me?!!?!?! I wish baloney like that worked, but there is NO replacement for hard work when going for lasting results.

Good job on your post! You addressed it all very well. She wants to believe cleanses work.. it sounds so... clean!
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    It really annoys me too, but I also try not to preach about what I believe. At the end of the day, there are so many things out there about what makes you healthy or otherwise, and a lot of it is conflicting (e.g. eggs - are we supposed to eat them or not?!) and so I try not to weigh in. Plus, it seems hypocritical to moan about those who post about their views and then to post my own and expect anything other than moaning.

And, yes, whilst the science of these detox products is usually pretty flawed (I say 'usually' because it isn't something I have researched much, I may be wrong), for some people, they provide a way in to a lifestyle they didn't think they could have achieved otherwise. One of my friends, for example, had always struggled to eat healthily and was a typical yo-yo dieter. Then she tried the skinny tea programme and, because it meant she had an adverse reaction to really fatty food, she started to make long term changes to her diet which she couldn't have done through sheer will-power alone. This then became a habit and now she's healthier than ever.

So anyway, for this reason, I try not to judge. It's far too easy to stand on the 'healthy eating' soapbox when you are talking about it from our end of the journey. For those just starting? It's hard, and maybe they need this. Whether you disagree with the ethics of these producers making money from this or not is an entirely different discussion...
  • TheRoseRoss
    TheRoseRoss Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I've become a bit jaded to it after all these years. Folks at both work and home would ask me what I thought about raspberry ketones, acai berry, green tea extract, etc, since I was clearly being diligent about making changes. At first I was excited to discuss health, fitness, and trends, but quickly realized that these weren't people look for answers, but rather wanting to be told that this particular "quick fix" was the answer. What I remember being the final straw was a lady asking me about a "no work, workout" program. I said "worth a shot," and went on my way.

We all want miracles, and many of us don't like being told that we're "wrong," so when we're ready to hitch our wagons to the horse that's promising to take us to the promise land, and someone comes along to say "you're being taken for a ride," it can often times lead to us getting defensive. I've even had people ask "why do you have to be that way? Why can't you just let them have their moment? At least they're trying."

To me, it's like giving advice in the gym: unless the person explicitly asks for it, don't get involved. It's likely to not end well.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Your friend talks of toxins released during rapid weight loss causing yo-yo dieting, when actually it's the unsustainable fad diet used to generate the rapid weight loss that is the cause. I've done a fair bit of research on nutrition and this is the first time I've hear this rubbish about toxins stored in fat let alone them causing weight gain!

You can fairly easily discredit most of these fads and schemes that do nothing for sustainable weight loss and everything for lining the pockets of the person who has found the 'next big thing' in healthy living, but if someone believes this is the fix they are looking for you may as well bang your head against a wall.

Oh and another thing - if all our food is sooo intoxicated how does she propose a cleanse as everything she eats must therefore be full of toxins? It's daft, we know that, but this is an argument you're not likely to win.
  • helsbelshms
    helsbelshms Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    But have you heard of the new miracle detox that rids your body of toxins, it's called water. Completely new information to 99% of the population because surely something that's free can't detox your body, you have to pay stupid money for that. :|
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    It's too much of an excuse to most people and they wrap themselves around it like a security blanket. "I can't lose weight because of _________". Whether it be toxins, hypothyroid, fibromyalgia, hormonal imbalance, gluten, high fructose corn syrup, GMO, etc. It's not that they want the quick fix, they need it, because otherwise they have to blame themselves.

The fact that people get offended speaks volumes, because they know there is an element of truth to it.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    My favorite part of your post is that in your profile pic on facebook, it looks like you're drinking a beer. Hehe. Toxinz.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Last thing people on my FB try to do is post "nutritional" and "healthy" information. Most of the time they know I'll scrutinize it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png[/quote]
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    _mr_b wrote: »
    Your friend talks of toxins released during rapid weight loss causing yo-yo dieting, when actually it's the unsustainable fad diet used to generate the rapid weight loss that is the cause. I've done a fair bit of research on nutrition and this is the first time I've hear this rubbish about toxins stored in fat let alone them causing weight gain!

That part of her post actually made my head hurt.

• kaylajane11
    Options
    TiaBia9 wrote: »
    I share if it gets excessive. Like when a bunch of people from my hometown thought multilevel marketing schemes were great ways to make money (some still do...*facepalm*). The cleanses and detoxing crap I haven't seen too much of, apart from one person. It really just frustrates me and I'd be putting forth a lot of energy if I was to address everything that annoyed me on social media, lol. Recently, people have been 'liking' the "teatox" skinnymint page. Like are you freaking kidding me?!!?!?! I wish baloney like that worked, but there is NO replacement for hard work when going for lasting results.

Good job on your post! You addressed it all very well. She wants to believe cleanses work.. it sounds so... clean!

Thank you! I also only share when I see too many things multiple times - and especially when people are trying to promote programs that I wholeheartedly disagree with.

I think I may need to work on my "live and let live" as, like many of you have said, what I say probably isn't going to make an impact on those who are stubbornly set in their ways.
  • kaylajane11
    Options
    My favorite part of your post is that in your profile pic on facebook, it looks like you're drinking a beer. Hehe. Toxinz.

Haha, it's actually a full bottle of champagne. Mmmmm bubbles.
  • kaylajane11
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    It's too much of an excuse to most people and they wrap themselves around it like a security blanket. "I can't lose weight because of _________". Whether it be toxins, hypothyroid, fibromyalgia, hormonal imbalance, gluten, high fructose corn syrup, GMO, etc. It's not that they want the quick fix, they need it, because otherwise they have to blame themselves.

The fact that people get offended speaks volumes, because they know there is an element of truth to it.

Well said.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    But have you heard of the new miracle detox that rids your body of toxins, it's called water. Completely new information to 99% of the population because surely something that's free can't detox your body, you have to pay stupid money for that. :|

Funny you say this, we were in the gym the other day and there was some quick fix on TV. My friend said he is going to market a new cleanse/weight loss product....Water. You get the whole plan for $20, it includes a water bottle.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Or do you just ignore it and allow people to make their own mistakes?

I tend to ignore it just as I tend to ignore the particular flavour of various religions some of my friends like. If I see an article or something interesting I will post it however.

In my experience lecturing, arguing or pontificating changes very few minds and you ultimately end up preaching to the converted.

• sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    RossAH wrote: »
    I've become a bit jaded to it after all these years. Folks at both work and home would ask me what I thought about raspberry ketones, acai berry, green tea extract, etc, since I was clearly being diligent about making changes. At first I was excited to discuss health, fitness, and trends, but quickly realized that these weren't people look for answers, but rather wanting to be told that this particular "quick fix" was the answer. What I remember being the final straw was a lady asking me about a "no work, workout" program. I said "worth a shot," and went on my way.

We all want miracles, and many of us don't like being told that we're "wrong," so when we're ready to hitch our wagons to the horse that's promising to take us to the promise land, and someone comes along to say "you're being taken for a ride," it can often times lead to us getting defensive. I've even had people ask "why do you have to be that way? Why can't you just let them have their moment? At least they're trying."

To me, it's like giving advice in the gym: unless the person explicitly asks for it, don't get involved. It's likely to not end well.

Couldn't agree more with the last statement (in bold). Those of us who do our research and know our stuff will always see things that make us cringe. What's astonishing is how rampant fad diets and cleanses have become. I think the best way to approach the situation is to disprove the theories with science. If you can provide actual studies that support your argument, those who take the time to digest the science will appreciate it. Instead of correcting people directly, maybe post a blog debunking the popular trends in the "health & fitness" industry. Just a thought.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I lead by example in life and on social media. I post, on occasion, about my successes in weight loss, health, and fitness. Some people have asked me if they should do detoxes and I am honest. A girl I know just posted about how she's going to start eating clean on one of those "7 days" style elimination diets. I wrote up a biggggg response about how the article made a lot of generalizations (like that most women should eat 1,200 and men should eat 1,500 and not eat back exercise calories) and then I was like, you know what... I'm not responsible for teaching her nutrition. I'm not interested in publicly shaming her. I'm not interested in convincing someone that they're barking up the wrong tree. I deleted what I was going to reply with and hid her.

You're never going to detox the internet of detoxes. There is a lot of very convincing marketing out there targeted at people who are looking for fast fixes and buzzwords. A lot of people make a lot of money off of weight loss and health gimmicks.
  • kaylajane11
    Options
    RossAH wrote: »

Couldn't agree more with the last statement (in bold). Those of us who do our research and know our stuff will always see things that make us cringe. What's astonishing is how rampant fad diets and cleanses have become. I think the best way to approach the situation is to disprove the theories with science. If you can provide actual studies that support your argument, those who take the time to digest the science will appreciate it. Instead of correcting people directly, maybe post a blog debunking the popular trends in the "health & fitness" industry. Just a thought.

I didn't reply to anyone's post directly - I posted an article to my own Facebook page, not directed at anyone in particular (but hoping that certain people would read it). I then responded to the comment that was made on that post, which was directed to me and I felt warranted a response.
  • vstraughan
    vstraughan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I think it's worth chiming in if it's helpful, but if people are very clearly deluded then I'd save my sanity and move swiftly on. There are cleanses out there that can work for cleansing (not weight loss) and make ppl feel physically better. Some are pure psychosomatic. Mind over matter can also work!