Weight vs form

Options
BroBroncoski
BroBroncoski Posts: 279 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Just wanted to see what yll been focusing on more lol Both are equally important but for me its form, There used to be a time where I used to squat 5 with silliest form but that was long time ago. I still see people in my college gym struggling to squat weight on first set and adding single plates on second set too lol For me, I usually perfect form for particular weight and then increase it lol. Which is more important for you?

Replies

• quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Form is always number one. I wouldn't want to risk getting hurt just to squat/deadlift/etc an impressive number!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Form all the way. Full range of motion. *kitten* to grass
  • mshippy77
    mshippy77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Form is most important to prevent injury but you need to monitor the weights and increase in small increments if you need to but never sacrifice form and feel of the movement
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Form. I am an old lady with nobody to impress. Lol.

No, seriously, I just know that my strength is slow to come so I am happy to focus on form and eke out tiny gains along the way. I've been mostly eating in a deficit for a long time and have decided to move to maintenance in order to recomp for now so hopefully I'll be able to add weight a bit easier but form will still be #1 for me.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for the cross fitters to comment. I'll make popcorn.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Form is more important than anything.

Also, speed is important slow speed + low weight > high speed and high weight. Yes, you can lift more at a higher speed, but then you're cheating yourself by using momentum to lift the weight, not your actual strength.

Someone who can lift a full range of motion with perfect form at a low weight will actually be significantly stronger than someone who does a hack job of a lift with a seriously heavy weight, and pumps the weights as if they were trying to race out the door.

Not to mention injury risk.

Lifting should never be about the number or how many plates are on the bar. It should be about controlling your body and technique.

It reminds me of a gymnast who was practicing dips and such on rings. A big, burly, experienced weight lifter approached him and told him she should be lifting weights because he will develop more strength faster. Rings are "too easy." The gymnast then invited the lifter to try to complete 5 dips on the rings.

The lifter took up the challenge, but failed. While dipping, he couldn't keep his hands steady and was shaking like a naked twig in a stiff breeze. He had no control over his own body, even though he was a very experienced lifter.
  • daaaaaanielle
    daaaaaanielle Posts: 114 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I would argue that form should be most important for literally everyone? There's no point being able to lift heavy if you do it with bad form and risk hurting yourself. I'd rather be able to do it right and make small gains than go heavier constantly and end up injuring myself.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Form. I'm old and fragile.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Form. I am an old lady with nobody to impress. Lol.

No, seriously, I just know that my strength is slow to come so I am happy to focus on form and eke out tiny gains along the way. I've been mostly eating in a deficit for a long time and have decided to move to maintenance in order to recomp for now so hopefully I'll be able to add weight a bit easier but form will still be #1 for me.

Lol next time, add 15 pounds in your lifts. People often under estimate them self but yea once you perfect form your last set, Its time to put on some mo to keep
    pushing.

I'm doing 5/3/1 now so I'm adding but working below my maxes more than right at them. I've tried adding weight at a faster pace but have found 5/3/1 to be pretty much a perfect pace for me and I like the amrap sets.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Ideally both, but I would not sacrifice form over trying to shift weights that I could probably move for 1 or two reps but could cause injury. Saying that I don't think that using good form should be an excuse to go light and simply go through the motions. I want to be hitting failure between 10-12 reps with good squeezes and contractions focusing on mind muscle connection. That's just what I find best.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    This isn't a one or the other comparison.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Form is more important than anything.

Also, speed is important slow speed + low weight > high speed and high weight. Yes, you can lift more at a higher speed, but then you're cheating yourself by using momentum to lift the weight, not your actual strength.

Someone who can lift a full range of motion with perfect form at a low weight will actually be significantly stronger than someone who does a hack job of a lift with a seriously heavy weight, and pumps the weights as if they were trying to race out the door.

Not to mention injury risk.

Lifting should never be about the number or how many plates are on the bar. It should be about controlling your body and technique.

It reminds me of a gymnast who was practicing dips and such on rings. A big, burly, experienced weight lifter approached him and told him she should be lifting weights because he will develop more strength faster. Rings are "too easy." The gymnast then invited the lifter to try to complete 5 dips on the rings.

The lifter took up the challenge, but failed. While dipping, he couldn't keep his hands steady and was shaking like a naked twig in a stiff breeze. He had no control over his own body, even though he was a very experienced lifter.

Lifter should have called him out on squatting lmao but well yea, weight do matter for gains and strength but you gotta make sure to perfect for it first or you'd be squatting over 6 and yet not be hitting correct spots for gains lol

A great man once said:

"The last three or four reps is what makes the muscle grow. This area of pain divides the champion from someone else who is not a champion. That's what most people lack, having the guts to go on and just say they'll go through the pain no matter what happens."

• TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    This isn't a one or the other comparison.

Often it is. You see a lot of people with pretty poor form in a variety of exercises who do not seem to care about form and would rather use a completely absurd form and lift more than focus on technique. Especially in functional fitness classes.