Burpees - yay or nay

Options
2»

Replies

• ishepelska
    ishepelska Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    DesertGunR wrote: »
    Ahhh the memories of burpees after burpees 100's at a time.

The biggest problem I see is beginners move through the exercise at warp speed with seriously poor form. Then they try to 50 or 100 of them at a time. Until your body is used to the movement and you have good form use a moderately slow movement rhythm emphasizing good hand placement, a good kick out, good foot placement before you attempt the final jump, during the four count and just do 10 reps to start with and then move on to the next movement in your rotation.

Here is a quick video clip on doing the best burpee that I've seen in awhile https://youtube.com/watch?v=Pf7wZvraWV0 & https://youtube.com/watch?v=tJrdJBWBu08. Doing burpees this way should alleviate that back pain you are experiencing.
    Good Luck Hope That Helps!

That is a great video. Thanks.
  • ishepelska
    Options
    Yep, walk them out if that fixes your form. You actually have to have pretty good hustle to walk out as quickly as the instructor is jumping them.

Exactly. That's why I think modified burpees are still challenging enough. At least for my level :).

Mostly, I wanted to see what people's opinion is on the importance of burpees. Is it just "the thing" or actually a great all-body move.
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    ishepelska wrote: »
    Ahhh the memories of burpees after burpees 100's at a time.

The biggest problem I see is beginners move through the exercise at warp speed with seriously poor form. Then they try to 50 or 100 of them at a time. Until your body is used to the movement and you have good form use a moderately slow movement rhythm emphasizing good hand placement, a good kick out, good foot placement before you attempt the final jump, during the four count and just do 10 reps to start with and then move on to the next movement in your rotation.

Here is a quick video clip on doing the best burpee that I've seen in awhile https://youtube.com/watch?v=Pf7wZvraWV0 & https://youtube.com/watch?v=tJrdJBWBu08. Doing burpees this way should alleviate that back pain you are experiencing.
    Good Luck Hope That Helps!

That is a great video. Thanks.

Your Welcome. Your skinny shiny pants will be sliding on soon I am sure. LoL.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    They're a nay for me. I don't like them one bit so I don't do them and most likely never will.
  • DesertGunR
    Options
    They are a good all around body conditioner. I know most people are not fond of them. I think that is because until they get the strength and form down to do them properly the pain doesn't seem to be worth the gain.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I hate them but it's because I find them very challenging, which means I also love them too. If you're pushing to improve then being able to do something multiple times with great form at speed is kind of pointless. I want it to be hard. I hate them less now than when I first started doing them that's for sure. I also use videos and I just go at a pace that is both safe and sufficiently challenging for me, you have to get over the pressure to keep up.
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    too much impact for my knees. I prefer leg press and squats.
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I have a love hate relationship with burpees. I hate doing them, but I love the workout when I'm done.

Thank you for posting that video link @DesertGunR, I haven't seen them done that way previously.
  • ishepelska
    edited May 2015
    Options

Your Welcome. Your skinny shiny pants will be sliding on soon I am sure. LoL.

Hahaha. You bet!
  • DesertGunR
    Options
    @moesis You're welcome.

I was taught that way many, many moons ago. By doing it that way knee, back and shoulder pain is nearly eliminated. I say nearly, because some people have preexisting conditions and/or muscle weakness that still make them difficult to do.
  • ishepelska
    Options
    I hate them but it's because I find them very challenging, which means I also love them too. If you're pushing to improve then being able to do something multiple times with great form at speed is kind of pointless. I want it to be hard. I hate them less now than when I first started doing them that's for sure. I also use videos and I just go at a pace that is both safe and sufficiently challenging for me, you have to get over the pressure to keep up.

Ah, the pressure to keep up... I tend to go fast but pause the videos to catch a breath (and hydrate). It feels so good to keep up with the instructor though :wink:
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Ah, the pressure to keep up... I tend to go fast but pause the videos to catch a breath (and hydrate). It feels so good to keep up with the instructor though :wink:

Pointless going fast if you have terrible form, you're not getting the benefit and you're setting yourself up for injuries. Fast is not better or necessarily more effective. The key is always form.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Yep, walk them out if that fixes your form. You actually have to have pretty good hustle to walk out as quickly as the instructor is jumping them.

Exactly. That's why I think modified burpees are still challenging enough. At least for my level :).

Mostly, I wanted to see what people's opinion is on the importance of burpees. Is it just "the thing" or actually a great all-body move.

It's a higher-intensity body-weight move, esp compared to body weight squats or push-ups.