Is it possible to loose 50lbs. in 6 months?

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouragimg words, tips and support. Cutting carbs of my diet will be a challenge but im willing to do it. I know the chances of getting to my goal may or may not happened but some reaults is better than no results. :)

you will get the same results without cutting carbs if you stay in a deficit...
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouragimg words, tips and support. Cutting carbs of my diet will be a challenge but im willing to do it. I know the chances of getting to my goal may or may not happened but some reaults is better than no results. :)

OP you are only interested in people telling you its possible becayse thats what you wnat to hear, irrespective of whether they have done it or whether they are considerable heavier than you. Go low carb by all means but plenty of others lose weight with carbs, its the deficit that matters. You wikll also find plenty of people who gain it back quite quickly when they stop low carbing. Good luck, add the people who are telling you its possible to your friends list and get their support.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    depends on how much weight you have to lose.

I lost my first 50 in 6 months BUT i had a LOT to lose (100+ pounds).

you do not have to cut out carbs (or any food group)
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

OP you are only interested in people telling you its possible becayse thats what you wnat to hear, irrespective of whether they have done it or whether they are considerable heavier than you. Go low carb by all means but plenty of others lose weight with carbs, its the deficit that matters. You wikll also find plenty of people who gain it back quite quickly when they stop low carbing. Good luck, add the people who are telling you its possible to your friends list and get their support.

Yup...I have lost 60lbs...took 18 months...I didn't go low carb just a reasonable deficit. Which meant I lived life while losing the weight.

I gained some back on vacation so looking to lose that plus another 5...it might take me another 6 months but I am okay with that too because I will live my life and not give up anything I love or crave...

• DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    mp7nyc wrote: »
    Contrary to some posts here 2Lbs a week is a very attainable and healthy goal. I lost at that rate with my Drs approval and as the guidelines of Weight Watchers recommended. Proper diet and moderate excerise is a must.

and how so? to the bolded?

If I set mine for 2lbs a week I would be at 1000-1200 calories a day...that is not enough food for me...

My maintenance in the winter is 2000 a day...to lose 2lbs a week would be 1k deficit..

oh and exercise is not required for weight loss...calorie deficit is.

How so? By exercising! Of course calorie deficit is what is required, but exercise greatly helps the calorie deficit. I'm set at 2 lb/week, and that gives me about 1400 calories per day. I actually eat less than that . . . about 1200-1300 per day on average . . . and find that I actually lose less than 1 pound per week unless I exercise. If I run a few 5ks in the same week, I'll lose 4-5 pounds (unless I eat a bunch of it back).

You can only restrict your diet so much, but you can enhance your calorie deficit greatly with exercise.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    DaveAkeman wrote: »
    Contrary to some posts here 2Lbs a week is a very attainable and healthy goal. I lost at that rate with my Drs approval and as the guidelines of Weight Watchers recommended. Proper diet and moderate excerise is a must.

If I set mine for 2lbs a week I would be at 1000-1200 calories a day...that is not enough food for me...

My maintenance in the winter is 2000 a day...to lose 2lbs a week would be 1k deficit..

How so? By exercising! Of course calorie deficit is what is required, but exercise greatly helps the calorie deficit. I'm set at 2 lb/week, and that gives me about 1400 calories per day. I actually eat less than that . . . about 1200-1300 per day on average . . . and find that I actually lose less than 1 pound per week unless I exercise. If I run a few 5ks in the same week, I'll lose 4-5 pounds (unless I eat a bunch of it back).

You can only restrict your diet so much, but you can enhance your calorie deficit greatly with exercise.

I know how I feel on 1000-1200 a day...I've been there done that...I tried to exercise and I almost fainted...

that is too low for me and my exercise I need more food than that. Yes I can eat back exercise calories but I prefer not to lose muscle mass along with the fat if I don't have to....eating at a reasonable deficit and maintaining muscle mass is a more healthy way to do it and doesn't leave people feeling lethargic, tired and at the end of it all...soft and slim...no thanks. I will stick to reasonable goals and be strong, firm and well better prepared for maintenance.

And as a man minimum is 1500-1600...

I will never understand people who think they have to restrict so much to lose weight...*smh*
  • varduk
    varduk Posts: 18 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Yes it is posible! You can do it if you are really determined!
    Good luck to you
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    it's possible but not easy. that's about 2 lbs a week which is doable for many people but for some, like me, I'd have to stay so low on the calories that I would end up cheating. I find it better to lose a little slower but still be able to live a normal life, socialize, drink a glass of wine etc. I've lost 36 pounds in 8 months
  • DaveAkeman
    edited May 2015
    Options
    DaveAkeman wrote: »

I know how I feel on 1000-1200 a day...I've been there done that...I tried to exercise and I almost fainted...

that is too low for me and my exercise I need more food than that. Yes I can eat back exercise calories but I prefer not to lose muscle mass along with the fat if I don't have to....eating at a reasonable deficit and maintaining muscle mass is a more healthy way to do it and doesn't leave people feeling lethargic, tired and at the end of it all...soft and slim...no thanks. I will stick to reasonable goals and be strong, firm and well better prepared for maintenance.

And as a man minimum is 1500-1600...

I will never understand people who think they have to restrict so much to lose weight...*smh*

I agree that you shouldn't cut back so much that you feel bad. Basically, when I'm hungry, I eat! I've tried days of restricting more, and it doesn't work . . . I usually eat back MORE the next day! When I finish running, I usually down a protein shake. Maybe I'm actually eating more calories than I log (for instance - when I have scrambled eggs, I don't add anything for the half tablespoon of olive oil that I use to grease the pan). What I do know is that whatever I'm doing seems to be working, and I feel fine. The point is that, for me, the exercise makes the difference between maintenance (whatever that is) and losing more than I probably should be. No, exercise isn't required, but it sure does help!
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

Yup...I have lost 60lbs...took 18 months...I didn't go low carb just a reasonable deficit. Which meant I lived life while losing the weight.

I gained some back on vacation so looking to lose that plus another 5...it might take me another 6 months but I am okay with that too because I will live my life and not give up anything I love or crave...

I "lived life" while losing weight too. I just put lettuce under my food instead of something made of ground up grains, opted for lower sugar fruit and dairy instead of the higher sugar varieties, and ate a lot more meat, eggs, and butter. It's not complicated. Maybe cutting carbs would help her, and maybe not - some people do very well on a low carb way of eating, others don't (kind of like some people do very well going vegetarian/vegan, others don't). I mentioned it because I lost a similar amount of weight in a similar timeframe to what she is wanting to do (went from size 14, 185 lbs, to size 8, 145 lbs in 7 months and kept it off for more than a year before getting pregnant). Eating more fat and less carbs helped control my appetite, making that all-important calorie deficit much, much easier for me to achieve. I've never been able to eat fewer than 1800 cal per day on a higher carb diet without being ravenously hungry and obsessing about my next meal. On low carb I'd have to remind myself to eat some days! I just simply wasn't hungry. I can't wait for my pregnancy to be over so I can get back to it! For some people it is a "diet" (ie a temporary thing) for others it is the way they intend to eat forever. If you stop counting calories you'll gain it all back too. That's why the long term success rates of ALL diets are abysmal - people view them as temporary "fixes", but weight management is a permanent problem.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. Who knows. Maybe low carb will be her permanent fix! She won't know unless and until she tries it.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »

I "lived life" while losing weight too. I just put lettuce under my food instead of something made of ground up grains, opted for lower sugar fruit and dairy instead of the higher sugar varieties, and ate a lot more meat, eggs, and butter. It's not complicated. Maybe cutting carbs would help her, and maybe not - some people do very well on a low carb way of eating, others don't (kind of like some people do very well going vegetarian/vegan, others don't). I mentioned it because I lost a similar amount of weight in a similar timeframe to what she is wanting to do (went from size 14, 185 lbs, to size 8, 145 lbs in 7 months and kept it off for more than a year before getting pregnant). Eating more fat and less carbs helped control my appetite, making that all-important calorie deficit much, much easier for me to achieve. I've never been able to eat fewer than 1800 cal per day on a higher carb diet without being ravenously hungry and obsessing about my next meal. On low carb I'd have to remind myself to eat some days! I just simply wasn't hungry. I can't wait for my pregnancy to be over so I can get back to it! For some people it is a "diet" (ie a temporary thing) for others it is the way they intend to eat forever. If you stop counting calories you'll gain it all back too. That's why the long term success rates of ALL diets are abysmal - people view them as temporary "fixes", but weight management is a permanent problem.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. Who knows. Maybe low carb will be her permanent fix! She won't know unless and until she tries it.

40 pounds in 7 months is a lot different than 50 pounds in 6 months. Losing 50 pounds would be a 25% more weight loss in 14% less time.

I won't argue that losing 40 pounds in 7 months is very doable. But 50? Hard to do. I lost a bit over 30 in the first 4 months and then it slowed way down after that. I pretty much had 2 pounds a week for 4 months and then a half a pound a week after that.

OP, I would urge you to not set a time limit on your weight loss. It's an artificial stress-inducer that is completely unnecessary. Just eat at a moderate deficit and keep on keeping on.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    The faster you lose the weight, the more likely you will gain it all back plus more!! I know I have done it in the past!! That's why there is a high percentage of people who lose weight to only gain it all back, just putting that out there.
  • DaveAkeman
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm down 64.4 pounds in 114 days. That's quite a bit more than 50 pounds in 6 months. (And before anybody harps on it being 'unhealthy' . . . my doctor is ELATED! The serious health risks of being overweight far exceed the relatively minor risks of losing too quickly) Will I keep it off? I think so; we'll see (I've gone up and down before, but never anywhere NEAR this much) Yes, it's possible, at least for some.

However, I agree with everyone else here . . . do NOT set yourself a 'deadline'. Instead, just make healthy changes. In 6 months, you WILL look and feel much better than if you had not made the changes, and probably better than you can even imagine, regardless of what some number on a scale says. If you set a deadline, you are more likely to get depressed and quit if you are not losing fast enough, while you really SHOULD be celebrating that you ARE losing. Just keep the needle going the right direction, and don't worry about how fast.
  • crystaljra99
    crystaljra99 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    :) Thank you all. I will take all thoughts and advice in consideration throughout my Journey.
  • MitchAnnRose
    MitchAnnRose Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi! Im looking to lose about 50-60 pounds in 6 months too! My Dr and Trainer have advised me the losing 2-3 pounds a week is safe and I am doing such on a 1000-1300 calorie diet and 5 times a week of Boxing and Circuit training.

Just last week, I lost 7 pounds in four days from clean eating and giving it everything at training! Feel free to add me. Would love to have a strong support group towards a similar journey!
  • DaveAkeman
    Options
    Hi! Im looking to lose about 50-60 pounds in 6 months too! My Dr and Trainer have advised me the losing 2-3 pounds a week is safe and I am doing such on a 1000-1300 calorie diet and 5 times a week of Boxing and Circuit training.

Just last week, I lost 7 pounds in four days from clean eating and giving it everything at training! Feel free to add me. Would love to have a strong support group towards a similar journey!

Good for you! I don't want to disappoint you, but that first 7 pounds was likely mostly water weight. It's very common for the first few pounds to melt incredibly quickly . . . mostly water, I think. I started with 10 pounds in 3 days, then quickly settled into a very steady 4 pounds per week. I just say this so you're not disappointed when you slow down to your 2-3 pounds per week rate.

Just make sure you're tracking your calories. "Clean eating" is a nice catch phrase, and it is great to eat healthy foods, if that is what the phrase means to you, but it's the number of calories that counts in weight loss. For 1300 calories, you can eat 16 apples, or you can eat 3 deep fried Twinkies; the weight loss results would be similar. (Except that you would probably be happy and satiated with 16 apples; 3 deep fried Twinkies would probably just make you HUNGRIER)
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »

I know lots who do low carb, I've done it...and does it work...sure does...but I always felt "empty"...I knew I had eaten enough but I had an empty spot that was never filled....

I personally don't eat a lot of bread or potatoes or rice etc...starches...carbs I eat for energy and yah I get a fair amount in...I don't mean to be insulting when I say "lived life" but as a person who has done low carb it can be difficult to go to out to eat, go to a party, lay by the pool for a bbq, go down south etc...and when you do cut lose bam water weight and glycogen stores up the wazoooo....I would rather not eliminate foods I don't have to for weight loss and you don't have to get rid of carbs to lose weight.
  • crystaljra99
    crystaljra99 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Thank you Mitch, i still dont know how to add friends , can you add me?
  • effondrement
    effondrement Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's possible, but depends on several factors. I myself have done (somewhat) close to it, having lost 40lbs in 4.5 months. As a reference, I'm 5'6", 22 years old, with a starting weight of 195lbs and a current weight of roughly 155lbs.

I managed to drop the weight by eating less, tracking EVERYTHING, and exercising at least 5-6 times a week. I also work part-time as a waitress which meant I was constantly moving. I reached 155lbs in January, where I cut my hours waitressing to only 15 a week, and took up drinking 6-7 nights out of the week (I'm in college, woops). Regardless, my current weight is 156lbs. So even after such a (relatively) drastic weight loss, I've maintained my weight, and if anything have put on more muscle since then.

All it requires is a relatively higher starting weight (ie. overweight BMI), dedication, persistence, hard work, ruthless calorie counting, yada yada. I am now back on the weight loss wagon having finished my college semester and vowing to limit my wine intake to once or twice a week, which I'm sure is why I haven't dropped a pound since January haha. If you have any questions, let me know! I'm always open to talking.
  • toshi89
    toshi89 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with loosing weight since high school. I have tried many methods, and the only method that worked was when i joined weight watchers. There was something about weighing in every week that kept me motivated, but now that i am a mother of 3 i need to step back on track, and start loosing weight. Is it possible to loose 50lbs. In 6 months? What methods do you use to give fast results?
    Very possible. Make sure you are exercising and eating right. I wouldn't get too disappointed if it didn't happen, just remember to live healthier and things will happen in time. The journey is different for everyone and depending on the stage you're at in life. When I first started on mfp I Los 50 pounds in 3 months. Surprised me. I wasn't trying to. It just happened. I ate right (I was actually given over 2000 calories) and I worked out 4 days. Then I got pregnant, gained it back plus 10 & one have only lost 15 or so in the last few months.(of course I need to clean up my eating habits some). But you see it's different even for the same person teice, but it can be done.