Too big for a plateau

Options
I am concerned as I have been almost the same weight for almost 2 weeks now. I have always been under the ASSumption that because I am such a large amount over weight that I would not see a halt until much later in my diet. Can anyone confirm this for me? Needing suggestions on how to process this.

Spanks you kiddies!

Mandi

Replies

• xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Nope, a plateau can hit at any weight. About 3 weeks into this I was 285ish, and I hid a 3 week plateau. It'll pass!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing any weight on 500 calories, it's time to eat!

Just because you are in the obese range doesn't make you immune from a slowed metabolism, just less likely ... I hope you're being monitored by a doctor! It sounds like it's also time for some follow-up blood work.
  • sirrah17
    sirrah17 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    At less than 1000 calories per day, you might be putting your body into starvation mode. It will react by storing fat because it thinks you aren't going to feed it.

Is the 1000 goal recommended to you by a doctor? I just don't think anything below 1200 is realistic or healthy.

Seriously, try eating more. You might bust through that plateau.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    At less than 1000 calories per day, you might be putting your body into starvation mode. It will react by storing fat because it thinks you aren't going to feed it.

Is the 1000 goal recommended to you by a doctor? I just don't think anything below 1200 is realistic or healthy.

Seriously, try eating more. You might bust through that plateau.

I agree with this statement 100%! You might not be eating enough and your body is just storing fat. You can hit a plateau at any weight. You need to constantly change up your workout routine so your body doesn't grow accustom to it!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    You are eating WAY WAY WAY too little.
    It's VERY VERY VERY BAD!!!!!!

Start eating more immediately, even if it IS a doctor telling you to eat that little. Get a second opinion because he is an IDIOT!
  • deanamcmillan
    Options
    I agree with the majority. Adding a few more carb calories for just one day is enough to break it! Additionally, if you eat the same amount of calories every day, your body gets uses to 'anticipating' what it needs to keep you going and stores everything else. Vary your calorie intake. 1200 one day, 1500 the next, back to 1200 the next two days, then 1400, then back to 1200. Just like not doing the same workouts over and over, you can't let your body get use to eating the same amount.

Good Luck!
  • burtam
    burtam Posts: 42
    Options
    Your diary looks good - try to eat the 1200 calories though. I did notice that you haven't logged for the last 2 weekends. I personally, did REALLY bad this weekend - I hit 1000 calories in ALCOHOL on Saturday night.... paying for it now. Up 2 lbs today.... Ironically, we were celebrating the 5k we did this weekend!

So, it's hard to say that calories are the issue - not sure what you eat on the weekends....

Everyone plateaus and I have several times - usually 2 to 3 weeks.... It will pass.....

HANG IN THERE!!! :flowerforyou:
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I agree with the person above me. You're eating too little. I know it sounds strange, but when I started to eat more I started to loose lbs! And drink a bunch of water.
    Eat 6 small meals a day.
    good luck to you.
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Looking at your food diary, I can tell your body is in starvation mode. You need to eat at least 1200 calories a day to keep your metabolism burning. Eat something within 1 hour of waking up. Eat every 2 to 3 hours all day long. Cut out white sugar, white flour and high fructose corn syrup. keep your snacks under 200 calories and meals should be 300 to 500 calories. keep your sodium under 700 mgs per meal. You should be eating protein at every meal and between 15 to 30 g. This will help keep you full in between meals. Let me know if you need anything else. I've lost 76 lbs since October on my food plan if you are interested. This website is great, but you really need to have a structured food plan as well. My diary is open to the public if you would like to see what I've been eating (though don't go by last week, I was on vacation! LOL) Christine
  • bjerkins
    bjerkins Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hey Mandi. weren't people giving you this same advice a few weeks back? I too am struggling. I've been the same weight for months now. There are days when I can easily go over but I usually struggle to get 1200. Scared to eat more.
  • melgibson
    melgibson Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I have not read everone else's posts so sorry if I repeat anyones comments...

I see you have your settings at 40% protein 40% carbs and 20% fat
    This is fine and a very heathy way to life if you eat within it
    But your falling short of your protein every day - by a long way most of the time and high on the carbs and over on the fat somedays.

I reckon you should either :
    reset your MFP settings to standard, this will give you more space before you go over with your current eating habits.
    Or
    stick with these ratios and use all the protein, base your meals around getting that 100g a day in. this will make you eat in a different way and will work fast and steadily throughout your weight loss.
    I am on 40-40-20 later this week and have good ways of getting that protein in if you need ideas, let me know.

What ever you dicide to do I hope it works for you and quickly too xxx
  • mandipandi2010
    Options
    Many thanks for all the responses.

To everyones concern: I ate Many Many carbs and fat and calories this weekend, I ASSURE you. lol I too was beginning to question the methods I am being taught. Not just this weekend but last weekend too! Not to say I binged but I did allow myself things that generally throughout this journey I wouldnt. I guess maybe I just expect 4 or more pounds every week like clock work. I want it now...and right now. lol

I do have to say that I hate that I feel defensive in my response to everyone. But I did ask for it.

I do average 700 to 1000 calories a day. I am under doctors supervision....two times a week with a dietician and nurse...once a month with my doctor. I am on what MOST if not ALL people I have talked to call a "unrealistic" diet. I get that. TRULY, I do.

I dont eat more becuase I am not hungry for more. First time in my life that I have said that or felt that. Im not mad at it either.

I do need to change up my exercise routine as I can do more now than I could before...I just fight with alot of pain. No excuses tho!!

I am lacking protein TERRIBLY. I just have no taste for it. I have been trying to add cottage cheese and yogurt to help but am struggling that that. Please do send any suggestions Miss MeLLLLL! The 40/40/20 is what my dietician has me working to ensure I meet the goals required. I do my best to adhere but struggle to eat the things needed for nutrition. Im aware and am working on it.

I do agree that new blood work should be ordered as I have been on this program for almost 3 months now and it hasnt been done since the half way point. Thank you for the suggestion.
  • lovelypen50
    lovelypen50 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hi Mandi, Sunshine I just went gthrough this, about 3-4 weeks and my scale stayed the same,(265), I t seem like no matter what I did, it did not matter. I had my weigh in Sunday and I had dropped a lb and a half, just like that. So dear, don't worry, it will pass, and your clothes will tell you that you are doing okay. They will not feel snug. Good Luck and I am rooting for you.
  • melgibson
    Options
    Many thanks for all the responses.

To everyones concern: I ate Many Many carbs and fat and calories this weekend, I ASSURE you. lol I too was beginning to question the methods I am being taught. Not just this weekend but last weekend too! Not to say I binged but I did allow myself things that generally throughout this journey I wouldnt. I guess maybe I just expect 4 or more pounds every week like clock work. I want it now...and right now. lol

I do have to say that I hate that I feel defensive in my response to everyone. But I did ask for it.

I do average 700 to 1000 calories a day. I am under doctors supervision....two times a week with a dietician and nurse...once a month with my doctor. I am on what MOST if not ALL people I have talked to call a "unrealistic" diet. I get that. TRULY, I do.

I dont eat more becuase I am not hungry for more. First time in my life that I have said that or felt that. Im not mad at it either.

I do need to change up my exercise routine as I can do more now than I could before...I just fight with alot of pain. No excuses tho!!

I am lacking protein TERRIBLY. I just have no taste for it. I have been trying to add cottage cheese and yogurt to help but am struggling that that. Please do send any suggestions Miss MeLLLLL! The 40/40/20 is what my dietician has me working to ensure I meet the goals required. I do my best to adhere but struggle to eat the things needed for nutrition. Im aware and am working on it.

I do agree that new blood work should be ordered as I have been on this program for almost 3 months now and it hasnt been done since the half way point. Thank you for the suggestion.

Ok I think it's time for eveyone to stop telling Mandi she needs to eat more!! lol
    I think she is very aware of what she is doing. :flowerforyou:

I sounds to me that you have plenty of professionals watching over what your doing closely and they really will advice you for the best. Take on board what they say. They know your medical history and personal needs better than any of us

I think you need to stick with the 40-40-20 and work with it - since this has been advised as the best way for you.
    I have to agree with them, I think when you get this right you will find it easy to drop this weight xx

Have a look at my diary, 2 days ago and 3 days ago, I was testing out meals for 40-40-20 in preparation for the 30 day shred DVD which I'm starting this month. I want to be sure I have a really good ratio for me before I start.
    I will be testing this again later this week wed-thursday onwards depending on how long I want to stay on my detox (which I'm doing today and yesterday and next day or so)
    Your already a MFP friend so you'll be able to see all I eat and how I'm making up my meals so pleanty of ideas there, you will notice that I made a point of hitting the 100g a day both days, this is my aim I ignore the other settings really as they fall into place anyway when you make healthy protein choices.

The very best way to get protein in if you have no taste for it is protein shakes or smoohties.
    I love these and they taste great. I will send you my favourite recipe and you can try them out. xx
    I'll also add some ideas how you can tinker with these to make them differnet and to your own liking.
    I'm also going to experiment with a homemade protein bar which I will forward the recipe to you when I have found one that does the trick.
    Since you and I are both on the same cals and ratio you can follow my food diary over the next month or so and unless I say in note I'm doing detox dietI will be aiming for 40-40-20- AND most importantly the 100g protein a day - this is the biggy. After the 100g I will allow more carbs but get those 100g Protein in first then see what's left.

I'll email you in a bit xxx
  • leftyy2k4
    leftyy2k4 Posts: 71
    Options
    I looked at your dairy and you need to go back over your diet. I see very little fruits and vegatables. Some days you skip
    breakfast.

Ofcourse you don't feel hungry. Your metabolism has slowed. You should eat a balanced diet and 5-6 small meals instead of 2 or 3 large meals. You will than jump start your body and will be hungry. Not being hungry and eating max 800 calories is a clear sign something is not right.

And no doctor or dietician would approve of the diet your diary suggests.
  • mandipandi2010
    Options
    Mel: 3 words...Can Not Wait! Thanks so much girl!

Lefty your right....I do struggle with my veggies...No denying that. Working on it for sure!
  • leftyy2k4
    leftyy2k4 Posts: 71
    Options

Lefty your right....I do struggle with my veggies...No denying that. Working on it for sure!

Only you can make you take this serious. 2 weeks since your last priece of fruit. Why no diary intries on the weekend? Is your diet only a part time thing?

You will struggle till you get real with you. Your habits are why people yo yo and fail. This is not rocket science. Eat healthy, eat balaced and excersize. When you go to Wendy's for a snack or lunch you already failed. When those 200-300 calories make up 1/3 of your daily intake, really not good.

You may be losing weight, or were, but you are far from gettig healthy.

How bad do you what to be thin? Get real with yourself. And plan it out. Everyday.

"if you fail to plan you plan to fail"
  • melgibson
    Options

Your welcome hunny :o)
    If you ever need any help just mail me I'm always about, I'll be playing around with adding protein and will drop you a line if I find womething else that really works well when putting meals together but for now I have emailed you with the stuff I'm currently doing, I hope this helps you and I wish you all the best xxx

And double bonus... the smoothies will help you get those fruits and veg in too ... If you can get into them :o)
    Hope you like the recipe I LOVE IT !!! xxx
  • mandipandi2010
    Options
    Um lefty pump ur brakes friend. Your a bit too aggressive for my liking. I appreciate your feed back but mind your manners. I do what I do and it is doing just fine. I asked for suggestions and I got them. Now step.

Best Wishes in all you do.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

You will struggle till you get real with you. Your habits are why people yo yo and fail. This is not rocket science. Eat healthy, eat balaced and excersize. When you go to Wendy's for a snack or lunch you already failed. When those 200-300 calories make up 1/3 of your daily intake, really not good.

Wow, so I couldn't possibly disagree with this mindset more. This is a LIFEstyle change (at least what I'm doing is). And my life sometimes includes indulgences. And, if you'll take a gander at my ticker, I'm quite obviously not failing. :wink:

Complete deprivation is the reason people yo yo and fail. Your options aren't only all or nothing. There's also that whole moderation thing. And that's actually the route most healthy people take. :smile: