2»

Replies

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited May 2015
    Wrong thread.
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Everything that is over your calorie budget for the day turns into fat...regardless of what it is or what time it is.

Luckily, the opposite is also true. If you stay under your budget, it doesn't matter what or when you eat.
  • ahkennett
    ahkennett Posts: 15 Member
    The best thing to do when presented with some sort of info like this that doesn't quite sound right is to ask: What, precisely, is the mechanism by which that happens?

In this case, there are many questions that the purveyor of such crap (because it is crap) will need to answer. Among these:
    1) Where does the stomach (and the intestines) keep a clock?
    2) Which time zone is it set to?
    3) Does Daylight Saving Time affect this?
    4) Do I have to adjust for a different time zone when travelling?
    5) Is the time the same for third shift workers?
    6) If it's just "calories after 7pm", when does the body re-set? Is it midnight? Dawn? Whenever you happen to wake up?

And you can just keep adding to the list.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    anniemink wrote: »
    I didn't say that...it's not my logic...there's this dietitian who once said so.
    after that I try to avoid Protien and carb at night :(

I'm sure you've heard lots of people say lots of things - so why believe this one thing?

Anyway, it's nonsense, unless you're over-eating.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,047 Member
    But it's always after 7pm somewhere in the world?
  • EzRemake
    EzRemake Posts: 128 Member
    tdatsenko wrote: »
    I didn't say that...it's not my logic...there's this dietitian who once said so.
    after that I try to avoid Protien and carb at night :(
    wtgtxcanfm90.jpg

Hahaha holy god

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,473 Member
    edited May 2015
    Carb & Protien turns into FAT after 7pm...is it true ? I'm scared :(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Which 7 pm? Yours or mine? Which time zone? And daylight savings 7 pm or non-daylight savings 7 pm?

Don't worry ... your body isn't sitting there watching a clock, and when it ticks over 7 pm somewhere in the world, it flips a switch and starts turning carbs and protein into fat.

My guess as to why a "dietician" might tell you that would be to discourage the evening boredom snacking a lot of people do where they pack away bags of chips and all sorts of things while sitting on the sofa watching TV. Maybe??

Personally, the last thing I eat in a day is usually a light snack about 10 pm.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Logically, this whole idea is silly. Does your stomach wear a watch? What if you get up at 5 a.m.? Is your "fat time" different than if you get up at 7 a.m.? Sleep til noon? Think about it.

Meal timing studies have confirmed that meal timing has very little impact on weight. Some people eat one large meal a day, some break it up into 6 or 7 small meals or snack in between meals, some eat breakfast and eat dinner early, some don't eat breakfast and eat dinner late, some get up in the middle of the night for a snack. None of that matters. What matters is how much, total, you consume.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,047 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Carb & Protien turns into FAT after 7pm...is it true ? I'm scared :(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Which 7 pm? Yours or mine? Which time zone? And daylight savings 7 pm or non-daylight savings 7 pm?

Don't worry ... your body isn't sitting there watching a clock, and when it ticks over 7 pm somewhere in the world, it flips a switch and starts turning carbs and protein into fat.

Personally, the last thing I eat in a day is usually a light snack about 10 pm.

Exactly. Time is a human construct. IF there was any metabolic changes based on time of day, they would be more likely to be "X happens after sundown" or similar (not saying that there are, just pointing out how illogical the time thing is). The actual time is completely arbitrary, if you spend a second to think about it logically. What happens if you drive over a timezone?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    I generally sleep late at night
    and I feel very hungry at bedtime.
    Can anyone suggest some healthy filling snack please !

I eat dinner at 7 PM every night. I usually eat a snack between 8 PM and 1 AM. I've lost 23 lbs doing this. The timing of when I ate had zero impact. If someone tells you it does then they are mistaken.
    Stay with your calorie goal and you will lose weight.
    For a night snack I often have popcorn. Sometimes I will have carrots, fruit or cheese.

• missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    ahkennett wrote: »
    5) Is the time the same for third shift workers?

Over 60 pounds lost working third shift.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    I generally sleep late at night
    and I feel very hungry at bedtime.
    Can anyone suggest some healthy filling snack please !

Nuts are my go to snack. Greek yogurt, glass of chocolate milk, spoonful of peanut butter, strawberries and goat cheese, small portion of whatever you like.
  • Shouliveshappy
    Shouliveshappy Posts: 161 Member
    I would like to share that meal timing had nothing to do with my weight loss. I lost 30kg over 1 year with 70% of my dinner after 10pm.i can only afford to work out at night. And my meals were carbs heavy (sweet potatoes, 4 fruits, fish / chicken and tons of vegetables). Hence the myth of no food after 7pm or 8pm is just a myth. It's almost like intermittent fasting, you'll go without food for the next 12 to 15hrs depending on what time you wake up. I find that fasting is just a matter of satiety (feeling of fullness) within the period that you eat!don't fear carbs, they help in recovery :)
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    edited May 2015
    I agree that meal timing is irrelevant to weight loss. I eat about half my calories after 10 PM daily.

But I always cringe a little at the "your body can't tell time" canard. Circadian rhythms, anyone?