The Zumba Crew w/o 6-14

Options

Replies

• msciccone1
    msciccone1 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

My name is Paola and I am 28 years old (soon to be 29) with two children who are 15 months and almost 4 years old. I work as an executive assistant to a VP. I have loved Zumba even before the craze was out and have the original dvds that came out :bigsmile: Since there were no classes close to my home I stopped dancing it, then joined a gym and finally just took a break and started Insanity. Now I am ending my round 2 of Insanity as of Sunday and would like to start round 3 with a hybrid of Zumba which is now offered all week near me. See how the craze is reaching the suburbs :noway: , haha :bigsmile: I want to enter my 30's being fit and fabulous so this is why I am working hard at losing my weight. I have lost 48.5 lbs. so far (11 on MPF) and have 99 more to go to be at my perfect weight of 135 lbs. I know this won't happen overnight and I am in for the long haul. Once I get below 200 I will think about getting Zumba certified because its just such an amazing time had by all so why not teach? :tongue:
  • pamw22
    pamw22 Posts: 77
    Options
    HHHhhhoooolllllaaa !!! :flowerforyou:

My name is Pam and I am 27 years old :blushing: and I'm part of this Zumba Crew!!! and I LOVE Zumba!!! I have been doing Zumba on and off for over 2 years and I've been wanting to be an instructor since last year. So back in April I signed up to get Zumba Certified! So on the first week of July I will be Zumba Certified. Very Excited!! I have been on MFP for 35 days now and have lost 8LBS total, I have a goal that I'm hoping to meet to be at 162LBS first week of July. I know I can do it and I want to THANK all of you for all the SUPPORT you all are giving me. Soon enough I will be working on a video and once I do it I'm going to post it on youtube.com and send you the link so you can see me shake my bum LOL! My goal weight is 135-140 so here we go everyone :drinker:
  • fast72
    fast72 Posts: 7
    Options
    My name is Gayle, I'm 31 years old with a 12 year old daughter and I think Zumba rocks! I take a class on Wednesday mornings and always look forward to it! I sweat like crazy and it seems that the dance moves work certain muscles I don't normally notice if I am just lifting weights.
  • deenebes
    deenebes Posts: 9
    Options
    Has anyone done the Shakira "Waka Waka" Dance to her song Africa for the World Cup??? Favorite Zumba dance at the moment!!!
  • oomalmal
    oomalmal Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hey.

ADON is an assistant director of nursing. It's stressful job but I love it.

I've done the Waka Waka dance that our instructor came up with and I love it. It's one of my favs. You can see it on YouTube if you search Shemane Nugent Zumba.

Loved my class tonight sweated my butt off.
  • SraArroz
    SraArroz Posts: 238
    Options
    I'm Bridgette, 35 years old. I :heart: Zumba!!! I started taking classes at my gym about 4 or 5 weeks ago and I'm so addicted! I just ordered the dvd's on Saturday because zumba has ruined me for regular exercise (the machines). Seems if I want to exercise and zumba isn't being offered, I just give up... so I'll have zumba at home now. :smile:
  • maryann73
    maryann73 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Just thought I'd share a link to one of our Zumba routines. This was at a demo they did a while back. My instructor is GORGEOUS and has a dance background. This is one of the calmer routines. I love Zumba because I feel like such a girl!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHIJM8mpVEM&feature=channel
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing the video!! Zumba makes me feel like a girl too...which is one reason I really need to get my class into some hip shaking! Right now it is a bunch of side to side simple steps with a couple of crossovers in there...not nearly enough hip and booty action for me!
  • yasjon
    yasjon Posts: 9
    Options
    Hello Zumba Fans! Hope everyone is doing well! I'm going to my Zumba class in an hour and have been looking forward to it all week.
  • sheydab
    sheydab Posts: 11
    Options
    :smile: :smile: I too LOVE ZUMBA. I tried the gym, running, etc. I really get into this and now have my kids hooked too! I have a group of people at work that do it with me for the 20 minute session. It's great. I have included running into my weekly work outs to mix it up but I look forward to Zumba!

Way to go Zumba Crew!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    My DVDs came yesterday, and I'm going to try out one (or two) later today. I didn't know the "toning sticks" were weighted maracas! I have been roaming around my house shaking them and driving my husband crazy since they came. (I am like an annoying five year old whenever I'm presented with a new thing that makes noise.):tongue:

I'm excited to try the DVDs, I've only ever done classes and choreo on my own at home (both of which are admittedly super-fun). Now I can get my fix if I have to miss a class.
  • thenebean9
    thenebean9 Posts: 216
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I'm Athina - 30 year old mom to a dog Daisy, and three bunnies, Mac, Cheese and Pickles. I tried Zumba earlier this year and I LOVED it! I take classes 3+ times a week, and I am going in July to get certified to be an instructor! Tonight we're actually having some friends over to lead a class :)

The best thing about Zumba (other than it being so much fun) is that I have a waist for the first time in a loooooong time! It's pretty awesome! And I don't care so much about the jiggly parts anymore - I just have a blast and enjoy it! :)

*waves hi to all the zumba nuts out there*
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Athina, I have a bunny too! She has been in our family for 5 years, she is a dwarf lop named Friendy.
    Soon we are going to have to start a zumba instructors thread!

I decided to cut my deadlocks! I am looking forward to doing zumba without all the weight on my neck! I am planning on showing a few girls the choreography to some songs tomorrow so I am hoping we can get a couple of different songs in on our rotation!
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    On Sundays, my studio alternates two hardcore instructors. I had my second Sunday 1000+calorie class in a row. I actually had a heart rate spike and had to sit out a portion of a song, so that's not great...

but, 1,018 calorie burn superfast samba, salsa, cumbia and "waka waka".

As Beto would say "good job!" (with his fabulous accent, though.)
  • oomalmal
    oomalmal Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I had a sub instructor tonight who wasn't as much of a leader as my normal instructors are. I appreciated her doing it though, instead of class being canceled and I still managed to burn over 600 calories. My goal for Tuesdays class is 800 calories.
  • cleja90
    cleja90 Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm Lisa. I'm almost 42 (birthday 7/23) and I am married with 2 children...13 yr old daughter and 10 yr old son. I LOVE Zumba. I started going with my daughter about 2 months ago as a way to do fun exercise together and we are totally hooked. I go 3 times a week. We had a guest instructor last week and she did the Shakira song and it is one of my favorites too. I have a HRM and the most I have reached is 550 calories in an hour. I thought I was stepping it up pretty good but you ladies have made me wonder if I'm doing something wrong...1000 calories, OMG. That is awesome.
  • cleja90
    cleja90 Posts: 12
    Options
    FYI, I'm a middle school math teacher so I'm trying to get good exercise habits before school starts again. My goal is to work out about 5 times a week.
  • thenebean9
    thenebean9 Posts: 216
    Options
    Athina, I have a bunny too! She has been in our family for 5 years, she is a dwarf lop named Friendy.
    Soon we are going to have to start a zumba instructors thread!

I decided to cut my deadlocks! I am looking forward to doing zumba without all the weight on my neck! I am planning on showing a few girls the choreography to some songs tomorrow so I am hoping we can get a couple of different songs in on our rotation!

Bunnies are the best :) Such great pets!

We definitely will have to start a zumba instructors thread! We go to get certified at the end of next month and I'm super excited :D
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    I'm Lisa. I'm almost 42 (birthday 7/23) and I am married with 2 children...13 yr old daughter and 10 yr old son. I LOVE Zumba. I started going with my daughter about 2 months ago as a way to do fun exercise together and we are totally hooked. I go 3 times a week. We had a guest instructor last week and she did the Shakira song and it is one of my favorites too. I have a HRM and the most I have reached is 550 calories in an hour. I thought I was stepping it up pretty good but you ladies have made me wonder if I'm doing something wrong...1000 calories, OMG. That is awesome.

first off, I have amazing instructors (for the most part) that pick very fast tempo songs. This makes a huge difference in the calorie burn (think a run vs. a fast walk). Also, I am a senorita crazypants in class: I do not step if I can jump, and always put a lot of energy into the arm movements. Still, if I workout at home with the DVD, or in a slower-paced, less advanced class, I average 500 an hour.

It really is all about the teacher and how fast they are making you move, so you're not doing anything wrong, most likely...your teacher just isn't pushing you hard enough.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    Question. I took my first class last Saturday and was SO LOST. There wasn't any instruction, everyone seemed to know what they were doing except me. I know it takes time to learn the moves, but man! I felt like a tool in there. I'm trying it again with a different instructor tomorrow night hoping for better results. Is this normal??