Carb kick!

I need help identifying better snacks or foods to eat, that are not high in carbohydrates. My diet is suffering. I could use some help.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Nuts and seeds are good snacks.
    If you tolerate dairy well, string cheese is yummy
    vegetables (while technically carbs) are full of vitamins and minerals (oh so important), and most are not very high in carbohydrates. I like to pack up broccoli and cauliflower and a little humus.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Raw veggies: broccoli, green beans, bell peppers, cucumbers.
  • cottagegirl71
    cottagegirl71 Posts: 167 Member
    hard boiled eggs!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    How is your diet suffering from carbs? Is it becayse you are doing a particular diet?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    999tigger wrote: »
    How is your diet suffering from carbs? Is it becayse you are doing a particular diet?

This. What's your diet like to begin with that you are having problems?
  • theecatt
    theecatt Posts: 31 Member
    vegetables (while technically carbs) are full of vitamins and minerals (oh so important), and most are not very high in carbohydrates. I like to pack up broccoli and cauliflower and a little humus.

This. Plus small servings of meat.
  • mccindy72
    theecatt wrote: »

Before giving advice, let's find out why OP is asking the question. Perhaps we should make sure macro balance is achieved before OP eliminates a food group.
  • chrisfoxmama
    chrisfoxmama Posts: 1 Member
    Mini babybel cheese and pepperoni slices are good low carb snacks. I eat them all the time with mini peppers. I am low carbing it. Thats the snacks that help me.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    yogurt
  • freqzinbigd
    freqzinbigd Posts: 56 Member
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Before giving advice, let's find out why OP is asking the question. Perhaps we should make sure macro balance is achieved before OP eliminates a food group.

Why can't we assume the OP is capable of determining what macro balance he/she wants?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member

Why can't we assume the OP is capable of determining what macro balance he/she wants?

Agreed.

To the OP - Beef Jerky!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited May 2015

Did the OP say they were eliminating a food group? Last I checked a macro wasn't a food group, and he didn't say he was eliminating anything.

He asked for some lower carb snacks, I provided some.

• mccindy72

When you assume, you take into account facts you don't have. OP hasn't said why he or she is trying to avoid carbs, just that 'diet is suffering'. It's OP's first post. Newbies often jump to conclusions like 'carbs/sugar/fats etc are why I can't lose weight' and try to cut a food group out of the diet. If we can teach moderation and how to decrease serving sizes, while eating a well-balance diet of all foods, people are much less likely to fail and will continue to lose weight steadily.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited May 2015

When you assume, you take into account facts you don't have. OP hasn't said why he or she is trying to avoid carbs, just that 'diet is suffering'. It's OP's first post. Newbies often jump to conclusions like 'carbs/sugar/fats etc are why I can't lose weight' and try to cut a food group out of the diet. If we can teach moderation and how to decrease serving sizes, while eating a well-balance diet of all foods, people are much less likely to fail and will continue to lose weight steadily.

Indeed.
  • freqzinbigd
    freqzinbigd Posts: 56 Member

As my rhetoric professor back in college would have written in red pen...so what?

Why should we assume one way and not the other. Other than the fact that one way answers the question and the other just starts another fight over carbs.
  • 311snowwhite
    311snowwhite Posts: 30 Member
    Raw snow peas and carrots with opa ranch dressing, nuts, low fat cheeses (I love babybel light), roasted turkey breast, turkey pepperoni slices (if you don't worry too much about sodium, tuna packets (the herb and garlic by starkist is really good), power crunch protein bars (only 10 carbs, 9 net), beef or turkey jerkey (again if you aren't worried about sodium), boiled eggs, strawberries raspberries blackberries are all on the lower end of the spectrum for carbs/sugars as far as fruit goes
  • schmidtr01
    schmidtr01 Posts: 3 Member
    Awesome advice! I look at my daily diet when I input into the diary and see a constant surplus of carbs. My nutritionist has stated that carbs will give you a rush and then fall. I am trying to adjust my dieting to allow for less rise and fall. I needed more options for grocery shopping to help reduce my carb intake.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    @schmidtr01 Old me used to eat really well at dinner time, but I noticed that my breakfast, lunch, and snacks were providing me super-high carbohydrates and little other nutrition. I suspect I'm not the only work at home person who falls into the grab-the-quick thing rut.

New me doesn't do that. I take the time to make myself proper meals. Avoiding cereals at breakfast helps, but I do allow myself a couple times a week multigrain old fashioned porridge oats - lower glycemic load. Or plain Greek yogurt on top of defrosted frozen blueberries (when not in season). Add a banana if you need better carbs and potassium. Yum. Or a two or three egg omelette.

I also don't worry about carbs from vegetables or berries or apples. Salad for lunch with crumbled tuna (see @311snowwhite post above for good ideas) or crumbled wild salmon steak (170 calories) on top - protein and good fats. Or a boiled egg or two.Yogurt based home made dressings - low cal and has protein. And taste!

There's two meals a day where I was overloaded with carbs, now no longer.

I shoot for 35% carbs, am ok with 40% carbs. Most of all I'm looking for my carbs to come from better sources meaning vegetables, berries, some fruits, yams on occasion. But not from highly refined grains, sugars, most cereals, simple breads, crackers/cookies and the like, foods with high sugar contents, etc.

This balance is supporting me well in a very active lifestyle including running 100's of km a month, riding even more, etc.

Good luck with your menu hunt!
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    To reduce carbs I found some simple swaps helpful - instead of a sandwich with two slices of bread (and the 20+g of carbs that comes with that) I put my sammy fixins on a bed of lettuce; taco night? put the taco fixins on a salad instead of inside a tortilla; spaghetti and meatballs? instead of having 2 C of pasta and one or two meatballs with a small side salad, now I have 3-4 meatballs with 1/2 c of pasta and a big side salad. Switching to whole dairy products, rather than low fat or skim, cuts sugars and the full fat versions tend to be more satiating (no rise and fall like your nutritionist mentioned) - just watch portions. Swapping starchy veggies for fibrous ones goes a long way (instead of potatoes and squash, try cruciferous veggies and leafy greens), as does swapping tropical fruit for lower sugar fruit (instead of bananas and pineapple, have berries and peaches). Snacking on roasted seeds and nuts rather than chips and popcorn can also cut back on sugars (and you still get crunchy-salty-goodness!). A small amount of really good, really dark chocolate is an indulgence that won't spike your sugar the way milk chocolate does.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I'm a big fan of nuts and jerky and cheese. I like to eat my carbs with meals rather than snacks.