Anxiety and overeating...

Had a rough weekend. Holiday weekends are very hard especially when they center on food. Got back on track yesterday. Does anyone else think their overeating is related to anxiety?

Replies

• Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Anxiety/stress eater.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,734 Member
    Stress-eating is common. The key is finding alternate coping skills and using them consistently. When you feel stressed and your first reaction is to eat something, stop yourself, take a deep breath, find out if you are actually hungry or not. If so, eat an apple or whatever your next meal is. If not, take a walk, sit and meditate (5 min.) or call someone.

There is a lot of information out there about coping skills. Try them and see what works for you. Good luck!
  • Kcrax
    Kcrax Posts: 13 Member
    I'm a stress eater. It's definitely related...
  • I_see_skinny_Me15
    I_see_skinny_Me15 Posts: 22 Member
    I am a big stress eater. I saw a commercial for binge eating and wonder if that is related.
  • yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    I am a stress eater too. It's no fun!
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    I always overate at every stressful event in my life...good or bad. It's something I am now, trying hard to control. So far, so good. It just takes time, I think..and some alternative coping skills.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    edited May 2015
    Definitely. Honestly the first step is just figuring out when you're stress eating. As everyone has mentioned, the second step is finding some other coping mechanisms. I've found that exercise helps a bit with anxiety, if only temporarily. Otherwise I'll try to distract myself from eating with hobbies (reading, crafting, etc.) or chores.
  • micklemummy
    micklemummy Posts: 2 Member
    I'm often dehydrated and instead of drinking water I turn to food/unhealthy snacks:-(
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Totally me... MFP helps a lot but mostly I deal with it 2 ways:

- pull myself together and remind myself food isn't going to help with the anxiety source, so better face up to that source (whatever is stressing me at the moment ) and tackle it like a big girl
    - If I am not up to tackling it for some reason, remind myself I don't need to hide behind the food, I can relax and unwind in other ways and it's OK not to tackle the stress source right there and then - just give myself a break mentally.

It's been kind of working so far.
  • webbertron2015
    webbertron2015 Posts: 2 Member
    I'm a anxiety/ depression eater seeking comfort in food. Can't help myself! I guess if you realise you are stress eating it's easier to stop yourself or at least tame the cravings.
  • tcroce635
    tcroce635 Posts: 2 Member
    I'm definitely a stress eater. Am anxiously awaiting to hear about a possible job offer and ate a chocolate mud cake when didn't hear from them. Went over on so many of my caloric/nutrient intakes.