Anyone loosing weight for a competitive sport?

Options
I train Tae Kwon Do and wish to compete on the national level next competition season (about a year away). I am only 5'2 and am 176 pounds (down from 202!) which is very large in the TKD wworld. In order to compete I need to get into the less than 67kg (147lbs) category. However, I recently tore a muscle in my leg and have to take time off from training for the summer. And need some motivation to continue on even though I am not able to train

Are there any other athletes out there who have any advice on some great ways to make weight? Would love some more athlete friends on here as well so feel free to add me :)

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose weight to participate in a sport, but now that I'm lighter I do participate in endurance sports. My healthy and being able to participate in these sports keep me from spiraling back and gaining weight.

Weight loss comes from a deficit. As long as you maintain a deficit while you're recovering, you'll continue to lose. Hope your muscle heals soon and you can get back to your sport.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I am not an "athlete" exactly, but there is a weight maximum for horseback riding at most barns, which I was initially over. I'm also a lindy hop dancer (type of swing dance). Hauling around extra weight on the dance floor in such a fast, agile dance was not going to happen. I do plan on competing in the future.

The best way to make weight is to do so slowly with reasonable goals. I'm 5'11 and went from 215 to 145 lbs.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I never competed in martial arts, but it certainly does help. I'm training to get back into multi-sport and adventure racing. I started with low impact to reduce joint fatigue, but now at a decent training weight and focusing on running and biking (my biggest weakness) more.