Another "Excercise" cals question"

Options
Hi again,
I have been maintaining for around two months on 1800cals. Seem to be doing okay with this recently I have been eating back a small amount of ex cals (around 100cals). though for the large part with exercise included, I have remained at a deficit. My question is this, I would've expected to have lost more owing to this deficit, (not that I wanted to), this has left me somewhat scared (as I have posted before) to eat back exercise cals. Is it possible I am at a unintentional weight loss plateu?

Has anyone had similar experience? As I suppose logically if I eat back exercise calories I will gain weight based upon my evidence to date.

Thanks for reading.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    1 - it's possible and likely that you are underestimating your intake
    2 - it's likely that your metabolism has adapted downwards if you've been dieting for a long time
    3 - going to maintenance takes a bit of trial and error...additionally, your metabolism will dial up as you increase calories.

I'm hard pressed to believe a male who is exercising regularly maintains on 1800 calories. Mine is around 3,000 but I'm also around 190ish Lbs and I ride a lot and am otherwise generally active when I'm not stuck at work behind my desk.
  • kanerz14
    kanerz14 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    1 - it's possible and likely that you are underestimating your intake
    2 - it's likely that your metabolism has adapted downwards if you've been dieting for a long time
    3 - going to maintenance takes a bit of trial and error...additionally, your metabolism will dial up as you increase calories.

I'm hard pressed to believe a male who is exercising regularly maintains on 1800 calories. Mine is around 3,000 but I'm also around 190ish Lbs and I ride a lot and am otherwise generally active when I'm not stuck at work behind my desk.

Thanks cw. It is possible but unlikely im underestimating as I weigh and measure pretty meticulosly. I think its probs metabolism if anything as have been dieting a wile.
  • Panthers89
    Panthers89 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Like cwolfman13 said above, Maintenance is all about trial and error. Nobody is the same and you have to find that place where your intake and exercise / burns gets you around the same number. You're on the right track - it might take you a few more weeks to zone in on that magic number. Keep up the great work!!!
  • kanerz14
    kanerz14 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Panthers89 wrote: »
    Like cwolfman13 said above, Maintenance is all about trial and error. Nobody is the same and you have to find that place where your intake and exercise / burns gets you around the same number. You're on the right track - it might take you a few more weeks to zone in on that magic number. Keep up the great work!!!

Thanks for this very encouraging:)