Exercise with an Iron Deficiency

Is anyone trying to loose weight by exercising while battling an ongoing iron deficiency? Any advice would be fab!

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    SpaTone is a good iron supplement. I can't imagine having the energy to work out with out all thoes helpful little hemoglobin-Fe swimming about.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    SpaTone is a good iron supplement. I can't imagine having the energy to work out with out all thoes helpful little hemoglobin-Fe swimming about.

This. Spatone is the only supplement i take and highly recommend. Plus, it causes 0 issues on my stomach.
  • stevesample76
    stevesample76 Posts: 248 Member
    Have you talked to your Dr. about your Iron deficiency?
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    I have an iron level of 6! Pretty much the definition of an anemic haha. I'm not taking any supplements though atm. If you do take iron pills (or any foods rich in iron) eat an orange or have a vitamin c supplement. It helps the body absob the iron.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Maybe try licking the iron plates between sets?
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited May 2015
    People should always consult their doctor and get blood work done before they self-diagnose and take iron supplements. Some suffer from a hereditary issue known as hemochromatosis which in these individuals makes accumulations of dangerous levels of iron much more readily possible. Certain common diseases and life style behaviours can also cause unhealthy levels of iron stores to develop.

I'm a regular blood donor and take a supplement called Feramax (I'm in Canada, not sure where else it is available) which unlike many tablets is absorbed in a manner that isn't dependent on vitamin C to increase absorption, and doesn't suffer from reduced effectiveness by consumption of calcium. Since I eat a lot of yogurt these days, that's a good thing. Otherwise, I'd take the regular supplements before bed with a red pepper snack!

Feramax is something like 800% RDA; I've found I only need it for about 10 days after donation and then eat normally - I usually make my iron goal. So far so good, three donations since I went on this protocol and no problems donating, haemoglobin fine, ferritin levels good.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 674 Member
    I get procrit shots every two weeks until my hemoglobin gets a little higher, then I'm on a monthly schedule or so for as long as my kidney transplant lasts. For exercise, I walk everywhere. I don't drive, and the bus is usually more travel time than walking. I also do body weight exercises and have a home yoga practice that has been a lifesaver for my energy levels. And it's more for feeling good than losing weight, but I keep a close eye on my nutrition, anyway.
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    Floradix is an excellent product, it doesn't cause constipation and it tastes like apple juice. You get it at the health food store. I use this along with the iron injections I get 3 days a week...
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Maybe try licking the iron plates between sets?

LOL