Beer

Options
2»

Replies

• byusuri
    byusuri Posts: 2,757 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    What do you mean by "light"? Many breweries are making summer beers now. I had a really nice Helles by Capital Brewing yesterday at about 4.5 abv. You can probably find some sour beers like Berliner Weisse that come in at about 3% abv. There is a more recent trend toward "Session pale Ales" that are lower in calories.

I see you're in California, so you have an embarrassment of riches of beer choices. How about SN's Nooner pils? Lagunitas Daytime? Stone Milk Stout? Ballast Point Even Keel or Wahoo?

ETA: I usually allow myself one high quality brew per day. Maybe 2 on weekends.

Yup. That's my problem. Sooooo many craft beers to try. But, I've never tried a Light Beer and liked the taste. And, I don't think most (if any) craft breweries make a Light version.
  • GeorgeL583
    GeorgeL583 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've got enough cals. left to have a 16oz. Nut Brown Ale and 2 Blue Moons, See ya'll later.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »

My motto is: I run for beer.

I have that on a hat! :D
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Just finished Lagunitas Old Gnarly Wine. Not bad.
  • s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    No reason to "fear the beer". Of course, slamming a six pack 4-6 times a week is too many cals but 1-2 beers a night for an active, healthy person is 100% fine and wont cause any harm. As others have said, dont drink low-cal cheap crap. Drink GOOD beer since thats the way it was meant to be.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    ccourcha wrote: »
    Vodka and a lemon-lime seltzer water on ice are my new drink, in moderation.

Try swapping the Vodka with Silver Especial Tequila... It's like magic :) And, lower in calories :)
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    byusuri wrote: »
    Yup. That's my problem. Sooooo many craft beers to try. But, I've never tried a Light Beer and liked the taste. And, I don't think most (if any) craft breweries make a Light version.

I believe Yuengling would be the closest to "craft beer" that you can get in a lighter version. It's not half-bad. I call it my "Diet Beer".

It does sub in nicely for the PBR's I'd drink after mowing the lawn. I can kick back 6, and not catch a buzz, and just enjoy them.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    bud select has 99 calories and def tastes better than most light brews out there.
  • byusuri
    Options
    byusuri wrote: »

I believe Yuengling would be the closest to "craft beer" that you can get in a lighter version. It's not half-bad. I call it my "Diet Beer".

It does sub in nicely for the PBR's I'd drink after mowing the lawn. I can kick back 6, and not catch a buzz, and just enjoy them.

Thanks. I'll have to try it.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    ccourcha wrote: »
    Vodka and a lemon-lime seltzer water on ice are my new drink, in moderation.

Try swapping the Vodka with Silver Especial Tequila... It's like magic :) And, lower in calories :)

False. While I would say it's more delicious Vodka and Tequila have the same amount of calories per ounce.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I'd rather fit the real stuff in than eat/drink anything light.
  • byusuri
    Options
    mistikal13 wrote: »
    I'd rather fit the real stuff in than eat/drink anything light.

I'm starting to believe that's the reality of it.
  • radonskies
    radonskies Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you drink alcohol, just plan it into your exercise / food day and drink what YOU like. I drink red wine or vodka cocktails - add exercise or go slightly lower on food to make sure I have room for it.
  • VyseN
    VyseN Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of craft beer, and I've been logging and reviewing brews for a couple of years now. The way I do it is that I plan ahead, and think of it as a reward at the end of a good week of working out and eating clean. If I know I'm going out with my friends, I'll have to earn it. As long as living healthy is the habit, and not the alcohol, then you shouldn't feel too bad for cheating every once in a while. Oh... and keyword: moderation!
  • mandykent111
    mandykent111 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    moderation is key, but definitely stick to something like Mic Ultra, or I think Miller has a 67 cal or something like that.
  • GeorgeL583
    GeorgeL583 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Sam Adams Light is also an ok beer.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I had a 550 calorie bottle of imperial coffee porter this weekend. And it was delicious. It hopes that go to maintenance on weekends though!