Working out and lifting for 2 weeks and gained weight?

Options
Hitesc
Hitesc Posts: 86 Member
age 19, 6ft 240 - overweight :(
I've finally decided i should lose weight and am determined to lose weight

Hi, i've been going to the gym for 2 weeks now and I've noticed that i have gained around 2 pounds? I have been going to the gym 4 times a week, working on different things every day i am at the gym here's my schedule

Monday: Chest & Triceps
• 4 sets Bench press
• 3 sets Incline dumbell press
• 3 sets dumbbells fly
• 3 sets tricep extension
• 3 sets dips
• 3 sets Triceps skullcrushers
Wednesday: Back & Biceps
• 4 sets Lat pulldowns
• 3 sets Dumbbell bicep curls
• 3 sets cable rows
• 3 sets Barbell curls
• 3 sets Pull-ups or assisted pull-ups
Friday: Legs
• 4 sets squats
• 3 sets leg curls
• 3 sets Seated leg extensions
• 3 sets dumbbell lunges
• 3 sets Calf raises
Saturday: Shoulders
• 3 sets Dumbbell press
• 3 sets rear deltoid raise
• 3 sets Dumbbell shrugs
• 3 sets Dumbbell front raises

Every set - must be 8-10 reps -
Everyday Must include Abs
(3 exercises. -2 sets each exercise- 20 reps.

I have stuck to these rules and do no give myself that much time to rest before starting the sets and etc. I have been getting sore so I think im doing things properly but can you guys tell me if this is a good routine? And why am i gaining weight instead? I have a healthier diet than before but it's just frustrating that I am not losing any weight

Thank you so much

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    And you probably won't for another week or so. When you first start an exercise regimine, particularly weight lifting, you generate microtears in your muscle fibers. Your body retains water as part of the inflammation response at the tears, resulting in a water weight gain that can balance or even offset any fat loss (water is quite dense, particulalry when compared to fat). After two to three weeks, your body will adjust and stop retaining the water. It is not uncommon to see dramatic scale drops after that initial period is over due to the water being flushed out. You're going to have a much better time of it if you track your measurements with a tape measure. I started Insanity last week and have not lost a pound so far (and was so sore I could barely move the whole first week), but I have lost half an inch of my waist. I know I'm losing, but the scale doesn't agree. Trust the tape. Progress pictures can also be a helpful tool.

As for the routine, you will get better results with compound lifts (such as squats and deadlifts) than with machines or isolated arm workouts. There are a lot of posts on the forums giving different preferred workouts that you could check out (use the search function). I would also recommend looking at jefit.com, which has a vast library of exercises and workouts that have been compiled, which might help you find something you like.
  • grandevampire
    Options
    When you first start an exercise regimine, particularly weight lifting, you generate microtears in your muscle fibers. Your body retains water as part of the inflammation response at the tears, resulting in a water weight gain that can balance or even offset any fat loss (water is quite dense, particulalry when compared to fat)

This! I have been strength training 3 times a week continually, and I didn't flush any significant amount of water retained in my muscles until my lighter recovery week this week. 1 kg off overnight, literally. My muscles are noticeably less pumped up/swollen. Sad that the definition I had last week "deflated" a little, but still way better than before I started!.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    This is absolutely normal. Your muscles retain water to heal themselves. It's just fluid weight, not fat gained. It just means you're doing it right.
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

I have stuck to these rules and do no give myself that much time to rest before starting the sets and etc. I have been getting sore so I think im doing things properly but can you guys tell me if this is a good routine? And why am i gaining weight instead? I have a healthier diet than before but it's just frustrating that I am not losing any weight

Thank you so much

Just because you have a "healthier diet" doesn't necessarily mean you'll lose weight. Aside from what other people here mentioned about water/glycogen retention... Even if you're eating BETTER food than before.... if you're eating MORE food than before, you're obviously going to gain weight. Make sure you're logging your food.

That said, stay the course. Dump the scale if you have to. The results will start to show in the mirror eventually. FYI, I'm in week 2 of lifting and haven't lost a whit. But I'm down 1cm in my neck, one in my waist, and one in my hips. My moobs are starting to flatten out as well. I'm also maintaining a caloric deficit.

Keep up the good work!
  • FATJAKE5
    FATJAKE5 Posts: 162
    Options
    Measure yourself now and record the numbers. Neck, arms, chest, belly, waist, thighs and calves, re-measure in 4 weeks and even though you may gain more weight, the difference in the tale of the tape will be worth the work. Take full profile pics and date them.

Friday will be the end of my 4th week lifting and I am still gaining slightly. I wish I had recorded my measurements back @ Thanksgiving when I was 306 lbs. I had already lost 19 lbs when I started on MFP in March. I absolutely guarantee that if you continue the workout schedule you are on, you will be happy with the results.

As far as weight loss goes, if you ask for help with that, you need to make your food diary open so people can see what and how much you are eating.
  • Hitesc
    Options
    haha when I mean healthier I meant less and staying away from fats and carbohydrates, but thanks :) haha its weird I don't even have moobs.... my goal is to reach waist size 34 by the end of summer :) right now I'm 36 (US/Canadian size). I know i can reach this haha IM CONFIDENT! :)!
  • Hitesc
    Options
    Btw does anyone know what the average size for waist is? for Men at least