Girls who Lift

Options
2»

Replies

• sealensfit
    sealensfit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Protein powder in my oatmeal and a side of cottage cheese to pretty much every meal helps me to hit protein goals. My problem is fats. I eat peanut butter pretty much every evening... (I'm not complaining!)

I actually need to get more fats in. I just love high volume eating so much, I tend to skip out on fat. I keep saying I'm going to fix it up but I don't.

Cheese strings. The full fat ones! And coconut oil.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Protein powder in my oatmeal and a side of cottage cheese to pretty much every meal helps me to hit protein goals. My problem is fats. I eat peanut butter pretty much every evening... (I'm not complaining!)

I actually need to get more fats in. I just love high volume eating so much, I tend to skip out on fat. I keep saying I'm going to fix it up but I don't.

I knooooow but such little food. I like big food lol. I do need to do that though. Thanks. I'll get some string cheese this week maybe.
  • sealensfit
    Options

I knooooow but such little food. I like big food lol. I do need to do that though. Thanks. I'll get some string cheese this week maybe.

If you like lots of food, try full fat greek yogurt with some granola. Or full fat cream cheese or ranch dressing with veggies. :smile:
  • arditarose
    Options

If you like lots of food, try full fat greek yogurt with some granola. Or full fat cream cheese or ranch dressing with veggies. :smile:

But I love 0% greek yogurt because I can have a lot. And I don't like adding granola to things at all. Rather use those calories on meat. I don't know. I'll figure something out. I got some avocado in this week, baby steps.
  • sealensfit
    Options
    Avocado is a good step. I would try cooking your meats in coconut oil though, rather than using a cooking spray or something... it helps add in good fats, but you don't really have to use up as many calories as eating a real food source that is high in fat. If you like popcorn, use coconut oil as the butter! It doesn't sound very good, but it actually tastes like movie theatre popcorn.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Avocado is a good step. I would try cooking your meats in coconut oil though, rather than using a cooking spray or something... it helps add in good fats, but you don't really have to use up as many calories as eating a real food source that is high in fat. If you like popcorn, use coconut oil as the butter! It doesn't sound very good, but it actually tastes like movie theatre popcorn.

Yeah. I eat the most lean ground turkey I can find and don't even use oil to cook veggies anymore :( Kind of a bad habit from cutting that I never let go of (bad just because I'm not hitting my macros as well as I can).
  • exoticpumpkin
    exoticpumpkin Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Cooking with Ghee is what helps me hit my fats consistently, plus it's delicious :)
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Yeah. I eat the most lean ground turkey I can find and don't even use oil to cook veggies anymore :( Kind of a bad habit from cutting that I never let go of (bad just because I'm not hitting my macros as well as I can).

I started adding butter to my stir-fried veggies. I just loaded up on avocado this week too! I bought like 12 of them (in various stages of ripe).

I’ve never tried ghee. What’s it like?
  • arditarose
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »

I started adding butter to my stir-fried veggies. I just loaded up on avocado this week too! I bought like 12 of them.

Sigh. Cuts in to my dessert though! Okay. This week I will add butter or oil for dinner.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Eh, 70 calories for 10 grams of butter, of which 8g is fat. It’s not even that much. I’m thinking of adding shaved dark chocolate to my weird greek yogurt desserts bonanzas. Edited to add: that’s still not that much fat for the calories: 2 squares of 75% dark lindt is 107 cals and 8g fat. Fat comes with so many calories. Sigh.

Edited again: eggs are pretty good. 80 cal for a medium one, 6g fat, 7g protein. Ok I’ll stop obsessing now.

Sorry, all. I’m with arditarose. I get plenty of protein from lean meat, greek yogurt, quest bars.
  • aliciasilfies
    aliciasilfies Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I've recently started strength training and am also struggling with hitting my protein goals. I feel like I need to eat steak and chicken breasts nonstop in order to hit it! Definitely not feasible for me!!

My brother (who is a former MMA fighter/still trains like one) has given me tons of tips since I've started and has recently recommended Quest bars to me. I just ordered a box online. Hoping they are as delicious as everyone on these threads claim!

I really like the cookies n cream one, and the white chocolate raspberry. I just picked up a s'mores one, but haven't tried it yet! whatever you do, don't eat them cold. I made the mistake of putting mine in my lunch bag in the fridge at work and it was like eating a piece of leather, haha. I usually stick it on my dashboard with the heat on on my way home from the gym to warm mine up, otherwise you can stick it on a plate and microwave it for like 10 seconds :) it makes it taste way better!

I'll definitely try microwaving them! Thanks! :)
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. Weights are my favorite. Lol. For protien I like ON, Dymatize and Isopure. I usually do protein smoothies for breakfast during the summer and the rest of the year add a scoop to my oatmeal. But I'm a big meat eater so I get a lot of my protein that way. I usually make my own protein bars or I like Clif. Ever since I found a piece of plastic in a Quest bar I haven't been able to eat them since. I'm using ON BCAA's right now.

• KymPossible84
    KymPossible84 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Quest bars are by far my favorite protein bar. The protein-to-calorie ratio is awesome, and they really do taste good! I just finished my box of Oreo cookie ones and need to buy another.

Glad to hear! I actually ordered the Oreo ones! Can't wait to try them :)

I have tried! They're delish!!
  • KymPossible84
    KymPossible84 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Greek yogurt saves my life! haha :) They have a new one made with Stevia too which lowers the carb intake
  • VitaTofuVegamin
    VitaTofuVegamin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So hard to reach my protein intake for the day! I know it's important for muscle recovery, any tips on how you increase your protein??

For those that don't mind the idea of what gelatin is, add 1/4 oz. of unflavored gelatin powder to shakes/smoothies/yogurts to add 6-7g protein (30cal/no fat/no carb).
  • aliciasilfies
    aliciasilfies Posts: 179 Member
    Options

Quest bars are by far my favorite protein bar. The protein-to-calorie ratio is awesome, and they really do taste good! I just finished my box of Oreo cookie ones and need to buy another.

Glad to hear! I actually ordered the Oreo ones! Can't wait to try them :)

I have tried! They're delish!!

Tried them over the weekend. Microwaved it for 10 seconds and it was so good! So glad that it didn't taste like other protein bars I've had :)