Should I Change Macros or Exercise?

Options
itsmethao
itsmethao Posts: 39 Member
I'm 5'3", CW 166 lbs, GW: 130 lbs., moderately exercising 20-30 min. 6x/week. I have my macros set to 50% Protein, 30% Carbs, 20% Fats. Will this setting help me shred the weight? I'm doing great with carbs and fats but actually having a hard time eating all that protein though. Will this setting help me shred the weight? Should I change the macros or the exercise? I'm considering on joining a gym to work with weights. Ladies, what are your macros at 5'3" and 166 lbs?

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Macros look pretty good. I would do HIIT for 20 minutes 3x a week for cardio and lift weights 45min to an hour 3x per week as a priority over cardio.
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    How many calories do you eat per day?
    How much protein? Why did you choose 50% for protein?

Oops, I read 50% carbs when I read it the first time. Good point, unless her calories are low 50% protein is probably high.
  • itsmethao
    Options
    I eat about 1200-1500 cals.
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    itsmethao wrote: »

Shouldn't you have a calorie goal to lose weight that's not a range? Or are you cycling calories for a reason?
  • itsmethao
    Options
    I read up that cycling calories helped you lose weight quicker, is this not right?
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    I read up that cycling calories helped you lose weight quicker, is this not right?

No, that's not right. It's a strategy used to give you more carbs and energy on workout days so you perform better while lifting weights. Not even sure if that's effective or not, but it will not help you lose weight any faster than a static goal.
  • itsmethao
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Why the 300 calorie difference?
    How many grams of protein are you eating?

My diary goals say 225. I've only eaten up to about 150 at max. Calories come first.
  • itsmethao
    Options

No, that's not right. It's a strategy used to give you more carbs and energy on workout days so you perform better while lifting weights. Not even sure if that's effective or not, but it will not help you lose weight any faster than a static goal.

I'm so thankful for this info. I'll be keeping to 1200 cals from now on then. Is my protein too high?
  • galgenstrick
    edited May 2015
    Options

I'm so thankful for this info. I'll be keeping to 1200 cals from now on then. Is my protein too high?

Yes 225 is too high. I would do what @mrm27 suggested.
  • itsmethao
    Options
    So that's about 100-144 grams of protein for my current weight. Thanks @MrM27 and @galgenstrick !
  • itsmethao
    Options
    I changed my macros to 45% Protein, 30% Carbs, 25% Fats. Thanks again! Up until a week ago, I didn't even know what macros meant.
  • itsmethao
    Options
    I changed my macros to 45% Protein, 30% Carbs, 25% Fats. Thanks again! Up until a week ago, I didn't even know what macros meant.

I meant 45% Protein, 35% Carbs, 20% Fats.
  • jacklfc88
    jacklfc88 Posts: 247 Member
    Options

They look ok but don't be scared of the healthy fats for your first meal of the day! I'd increase fat slightly and reduce carbs. But it's your body you need to figure out what's best for you! :)

MrM and galgenstrick are both right as well regarding intake and also exercise, HIIT 20 mins 3-4 times a week works wonders believe me!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    She's considering doing weights and you are all: do HIIT???

Whatever for? Don't you even ask what her goals are? Hello.
    Nothing wrong with HIIT but exercise should be aligned to goals and activities the OP enjoys.

• itsmethao
    Options
    jacklfc88 wrote: »

They look ok but don't be scared of the healthy fats for your first meal of the day! I'd increase fat slightly and reduce carbs. But it's your body you need to figure out what's best for you! :)

MrM and galgenstrick are both right as well regarding intake and also exercise, HIIT 20 mins 3-4 times a week works wonders believe me!

You don't have to twist my arm to eat bacon!