Want to get healthier but struggling on cooking healthy family meals

Options
i've started using MFP and its good knowing how many calories I should be having and keeping track of them. But I'm struggling with family meals as I really don't know what is healthy and what isn't.
add me.
the help and advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Sharn.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Home cooked meals made from single ingredients is healthy, if you follow some simple rules, take a look at http://www.choosemyplate.gov/ to start, and tweak to suit your needs.
  • k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hopefully you will take the time to read this, apologies for its length.
    I use the recipe tool, to cook the food I've always cooked, weighing each ingredient as it's added. When it's cooked, I weigh the food. I either transfer it to an empty jug (after zeroing the scale) or I weigh it in the casserole dish (having previously weighed the empty casserole dish). If it weighs 2000 grams I say that there are 2000 servings. Then my 300 grams are 300 portions. Then each plate can have as much or as little as desired. I never eat the same size portion as my DH or adult sons, so saying 6 portions per recipe wouldn't work for me.

If it's cakes or cookies, I weigh the baked product and make the total grams the number of portions. 12 biscuits at about 70 or 60 g each = 720 portions ( if I've got my maths right)
    the app it asks you to state the number of servings at the start. You can then, just before you save the recipe, edit the number of 'servings'. As for the measurement, it can be whatever you want it to be - cups, ounces, grams . . . You can also edit the recipe later when you've finished cooking it, (and each time you cook it) whatever it is, using whatever weighing method suits you (at least you can edit using the iPhone/Pad app - you can't on the windows app).

The recipe tool is fab, one of my favourite elements, means I can be so accurate with the calorie content of my creations and what goes on my plate
    Edited for typo.
  • jacklfc88
    jacklfc88 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    i've started using MFP and its good knowing how many calories I should be having and keeping track of them. But I'm struggling with family meals as I really don't know what is healthy and what isn't.
    add me.
    the help and advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Sharn.

Check out the body coach on instagram if you're on it. His recipes are great, really simple and can be adapted for families :)
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I have a family of 5, when I started this journey I had the same problem, but than I hit google and found some great sites and info, now most of the time, I just replace the pasta, rice, potatoes, bread with other healthier options, my family was us to eating lots of veggies before so the change wasn't to noticeable for them. If you would like add me, I post recipes and helpful tips and jokes all the time. I am a very active member and like my friends on here to be the same way.
  • truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    cookinglight.com/food/recipe-finder

This is one of my go-to resources.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I try to focus on lean proteins (chicken, turkey, fish, pork tenderloin, etc). I grill, roast or bake my meats instead of frying. I do my best to include one of their favorites that I might not eat such as creamed potatoes, mac n cheese, french fries. Lastly, I add some type of steamed or roasted veggie. I feel like biggest thing to learn is to not complicate it. When you do, it becomes overwhelming.
  • jacklfc88
    jacklfc88 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    good advice @Steph38878 - keep it simple!
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Healthy meals for my family
    Chicken burrito rice bowls- I substitute cauliflower rice for me
    Chicken breasts (any lean meat pork tenderloin, fish, steak) plus veggies
    Ground turkey sweet potato hash

I find it hard sometimes to stay on track with family as they like pasta and other high cal foods. I'll make a small side for them to make them happy. Since it's a small amount I don't dig into it and no leftovers to tempt me:)

• westindiangal
    westindiangal Posts: 4 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I have been using skinnyms.com I cook for one, and first I'm challenged by cooking, add healthy cooking, and it can be quite the challenge.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    There are so many healthy recipes on the internet. I like Cookinglight.com like toadhunter911 mentioned. I also go to http://www.skinnytaste.com/ , http://www.diabetes.org/mfa-recipes/recipes/ and the "healthy" or "diabetic" section of regular websites like http://allrecipes.com/recipes/everyday-cooking/special-diets/diabetic/ . Don't be put off by listings such as "diabetic" or "paleo", there are great recipes in all types of eating plans. Diabetic recipes especially are likely to be lower calorie and full of lean meats and veggies.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    What sorts of things are you cooking now? What kinds of things do you want to cook? Log what you're doing now, and add twists and complications and substitutions as you grow comfortable. If you change EVERYTHING overnight, your family may rebel. One change a week to add more veggies or remove processed ingredient X or use whole grain something will turn you into a healthy eater for life just by gradually altering habits.

If you give us some examples of where you are now, we may be able to suggest some hacks for you to try.
  • penfaith
    penfaith Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would say refrain from buying possessed/frozen foods that you can just heat up and eat. Just keep in mind meat is not a necessity and either are dairy products. There are tons of research that shows the linear relationship between animal products and cancer, heart strokes, diabetes and decrease in bone density. Also you won't have to worry about your calorie intake as you will automatically lose weight if on vegan diet!
  • teanahk
    teanahk Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    There are some great suggestions above for places to find recipes.

If you need a bit more info about general nutrition and cooking for family/kids I found a free online child nutrition and cooking course from Stanford University. https://www.coursera.org/learn/childnutrition
    It includes a lot of information on nutrition and a bunch of cooking demonstrations.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    penfaith wrote: »
    I would say refrain from buying possessed/frozen foods that you can just heat up and eat. Just keep in mind meat is not a necessity and either are dairy products. There are tons of research that shows the linear relationship between animal products and cancer, heart strokes, diabetes and decrease in bone density. Also you won't have to worry about your calorie intake as you will automatically lose weight if on vegan diet!

Um.....no.
  • brburrell77
    brburrell77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

If you are used to eating premade meals/processed foods and now want to make homemade healthier meals, I just remembered this is one thing that helped me and you may find it useful: eatthis.com. On that site you'll find the book, Eat This! Not that! and is loaded with the basics of eating healthier if you are used to quick foods. One tip I have always remembered - shop the outside perimeter of the grocery store. There you will find the freshest, healthiest ingredients. Never put that together before but now it makes it easier to make meal plans. Make meals out of what you find there!
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    I have a family of 5, when I started this journey I had the same problem, but than I hit google and found some great sites and info, now most of the time, I just replace the pasta, rice, potatoes, bread with other healthier options, my family was us to eating lots of veggies before so the change wasn't to noticeable for them. If you would like add me, I post recipes and helpful tips and jokes all the time. I am a very active member and like my friends on here to be the same way.

you got rid of pasta, rice, potatoes, and bread?

why would you do this terrible thing to your family
  • aliciasilfies
    aliciasilfies Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    The sites listed above are great! skinnyms.com is one of my favorites, as is skinnymom.com. Pinterest has become my go-to for great new healthy recipes.

You can continue to eat the foods you love, just be sure to keep your portions under control. Swapping to healthier ingredients has helped me a lot: white rice to whole grain or quinoa, ground beef to ground turkey, etc. When you find a recipe that your whole family loves, make extras and freeze it. This will definitely come in handy for busy days.
  • madz0007
    madz0007 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have swapped meat for quorn, I use water or olive oil spray for cooking. I don't add fats to foods, I use peas, carrots, celery to bulk out casseroles or stews. For example tonight I made Shepherds pie

1.00 tbsp(s), Gravy salt
    1.00 clove, Garlic - Raw
    1.00 container (300 gs ea.), Quorn Mince (300g Bag, Frozen)
    (1pint), Water - Municipal
    1.00 leaf, Bay Leaf
    1.00 tsp, leaves, Spices, oregano, dried
    1.00 tbsp, Basil, fresh
    1.00 tbsp, Spices, rosemary, dried

2.00 Tin, Chopped Tinned Tomatoes
    2.00 large (7-1/4" to 8-1/2" long), Carrots - Raw
    1.00 large, Onions - Raw
    2.00 cube, Reduced Salt Beef Stock Cube
    2.00 stalk large (11"-12" long), Celery - Raw
    1.00 small, Peppers - Sweet, green, raw
    500.00 g, Swede Boiled and mashed
    600.00 g, Potatoes boiled and mashed

Fry the onion, mince, garlic, celery, pepper in the pan using water to fry with add the garlic and herbs apart from the bay leaves. Add the stock cubes to boiling water, add the chopped toms and stock cubes to the mince, add carrots and bay leaves.
    Simmer until veg is soft add 1 table spoon of gravy salt mixed with water to thicken the mix. put in a casserole dish
    cook then mash potato and swede together put on top of the pie and put in the oven until the top is crispy. Serve with peas or other veg.

It was yum
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey sweet potato hash

would love this recipe!! please and thank you :)
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options