Michelle Bridges 12WBT vs. Susie Burrell's Shape Me

Options
A couple of years back I completed 2 rounds of Michelle Bridge's 12WBT. I lost 8kg all up, unfortunately I gained 6kg of that back in recent months (many reasons: lack of tracking food intake, started taking antidepressants, illness stopped me from exercising intensively). Now that I'm coming off my medication and ever so slowly starting to recover from my illnesses (with help from my nutritionist) I'm thinking of giving another weight management plan a go.

The things I liked about the 12WBT were:
- Convenience of having meals planned for you;
- Shopping lists automatically generated;
- Great online community support;
- The program can be tailored for a few different dietary and exercise requirements;
- Helpful to have weekly emails from the 12WBT team.

Things I didn't like:
- Having to change almost every single meal in the plan to suit my specific needs;
- The exercise plans were a little too intense for me;
- The automatic default to a 1200 calorie daily allowance does not suit everyone (myself included, I got quite sick from eating so little);
- The program and shopping lists can be expensive.

So, while I mostly enjoyed the 12WBT, I've been looking into other weight management plans. From what I've read Shape Me can be tailored to suit low FODMAP (which I need), gluten/dairy free and many other dietary requirements. Shape Me only runs for 30 days as opposed to 12 weeks, that doesn't concern me too much though, I saved all my material from 12WBT so I'll always have the recipes to refer back to, if I can do the same on Shape Me then great.

Has anyone tried either of these weight management plans? What where the pros and cons of both? Did you successfully lose/gain/maintain weight?

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I understand that some people like the structure of eating to a set plan, but beyond that, weight management plans aren't going to make you lose any faster than eating the same amount of calories and doing it on your own.

Why not just eat to the calories set for you by MFP? That way you don't need to worry about modifying a plan. Just eat the foods that you like within the confines of your dietary restrictions :). Once you've got your most common stuff logged into MFP it's really incredibly easy to just make your own meal plan.
  • Nakeshia88
    Nakeshia88 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    I understand that some people like the structure of eating to a set plan, but beyond that, weight management plans aren't going to make you lose any faster than eating the same amount of calories and doing it on your own.

Why not just eat to the calories set for you by MFP? That way you don't need to worry about modifying a plan. Just eat the foods that you like within the confines of your dietary restrictions :). Once you've got your most common stuff logged into MFP it's really incredibly easy to just make your own meal plan.

All good points.

Losing weight quickly is NOT something I want to do at all, from experience this never works long term.

Why not just eat to the calories set by MFP? Well the convenience of having meals planned out for me is something that appeals to me, and as a bonus with 12WBT each recipe is a set amount of calories, so even once the programmes are over its easy to keep using the recipes to stay within your calorie allowance, there's no having to build up a database on MFP. I'm not sure if this is the case with Shape Me.
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I am just finishing a 12wbt round. I did one about 2 years ago. The amount of calories per day has gone up, depending on what you chose and the requirement to burn 500 cals a day is gone. There are a few more different exercise plans, some that are a bit more lower key....if that helps....