Alternative religions. Anyone follow one?

Options

Replies

• Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Took the quiz :) ---

1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
    2. New Age (93%)
    3. Neo-Pagan (91%)
    4. Mahayana Buddhism (86%)
    5. New Thought (85%)
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm Pastafarian. Peace and love flow through his noodley appendage.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I'm Rastafarian. Peace and love flow through his noodley appendage.

Rastafarian or Pastafarian?
  • stephc0711
    stephc0711 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I am mostly Christian, however, I am fairly accepting of the paganistic religions, as well as Buddhism. What I believe is kind of my own little religion...
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Multiversal intelligent design
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Wow, I took the quiz and got both orthodox and liberal Quakers in my top 4. I'm a nondenominational Christian, so I'm not anything alternative, though it feels like it sometimes :/
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options

Derp. Edited. >_<
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

Derp. Edited. >_<

I'm gluten free - have to go with rice noodles.
  • freebirdjones
    Options
    BIBLE

Basic
    Instructions
    Before
    Leaving
    Earth

LOL :laugh:
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Took the quiz:

1. Secular Humanism (100%)
    2. Unitarian Universalism (92%)
    3. Liberal Quakers - Religious Society of Friends (83%)
    4. Non-theist (73%)
    5. Taoism (63%)
    6. Mainline - Liberal Christian Protestants (62%)

I can live with the label "Secular Humanis[t]" ... #3 and #6 rather surprised me, but I am open-minded about it. I studied Taoism for 6 years or so.

I also enjoy studying "World as Myth" Pantheistic multiple-ego solipsism "pantheistic multiple-ego solipsist" or "Rational Anarchist" see http://dwrighsr.tripod.com/heinlein/RatAnarch/

Or having conversations with others about *why* they believe what they believe.

Am currently studying to become a Pastafarian Minister.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Quiz results:

1. Secular Humanist
    2. Unitarian Universalist
    3. Liberal Quakers - Religious Society of Friends
    4. Bhuddist

Non-theist didn't even show up til #6. ODD! I ascribe to Secular Humanism though, so I knew it would be there somewhere. :)
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    NO........................................... THERES 1 GOD
    CHRISTIANITY ..........................

I'm actually shocked that it took 10 pages for a reply like this.

Everyone has spoken so well about their beliefs and here you come with a one line, capslocked "there is only one way of life" response. Or, at least it's how it's reading from this end. Kudos to you for being happy and satisfied in your religious choices.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I believe in nature.

It's red in tooth and claw. We're clever mammals and part of a ruddy great ecosystem.

You're born, perhaps you breed, you eat things smaller than you and you avoid being eaten by things bigger than you. You die and your remains add nutrients to the earth.

I'm also an elective non-breeder; I'm not as hardcore as VHEMT (who believe nobody should breed since our species is too destructive), however I agree with the ISP statement on human population growth - to whit, that it's the greatest challenge facing mankind and that urgent action is needed to lower it.
  • AndreannaTamira
    Options
    I'm Unitarian/Universalist, which tends to be an anything-goes kind of congregation - but I do lean a little more Christian than my fellow UU's. I just think that there's so many threads of each world religion that have similarities in them, that it points to there being a higher truth out there, that maybe all of us can sense if we take the time to listen to it. Wow, I sound like a hippie.

Seriously though, I basically just look for those grains of truth in all religions, and take what feels right/good/true to me. I have a connection to my Higher Power, and I'm sticking to it.

Page 8 and you turn up. :) UU here, too. I don't really believe in anything, but I am not as atheist humanist as many in my congregation either. I'd describe myself as somebody who is still looking and trying to find out what they believe in. And sometimes I think that is actually who I am and I'll never fully settle in any one belief or non-belief, so it is great to have a place to come to like the UU church and not be judged and be able to grow and search...
  • AndreannaTamira
    Options
    I am amused by how many people took that test and have Unitarian Universalism as one of the top answers. I think this actually is the test that made me look into UU a few years ago.

I know for a fact that all of you guys, atheist, agnostics, somewhat spiritual, christian, theist, wiccan and so on would be welcome at my congregation. If UU is part of your top answers, try it out.

Might be for you, which is great.

Or might not, which is also great.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    generally my beliefs are Daoist. Mostly because of the attempts to make sense of the universe.

I have a real issue with people who put their faith in another 'being' (for want of a better word) as if that absolves them of responsibility for their actions.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options

I have a real issue with people who put their faith in another 'being' (for want of a better word) as if that absolves them of responsibility for their actions.

I agree, if I went to my chosen Goddess and started asking for forgiveness for my actions she would ***** slap me around the head and tell me to take some personal responsibility lol. :)
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    MaydayParadeGirl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    NO........................................... THERES 1 GOD
    CHRISTIANITY ..........................

I'm actually shocked that it took 10 pages for a reply like this.

Everyone has spoken so well about their beliefs and here you come with a one line, capslocked "there is only one way of life" response. Or, at least it's how it's reading from this end. Kudos to you for being happy and satisfied in your religious choices.

I saw it and was going to say something but refrained as 1) it is their own opinion, even if they shouldn't have basically 'yelled' it at everyone here and 2) i didn't want to risk starting anything. It did fester on my mind however, why would you bother coming into a thread like this, where everything is nice and no one was saying anything negative about your personal beliefs and put that in all caps. It's not the place, nor the time.
  • freebirdjones
    Options
    I live in Canada, so although I do not believe in any First Nations beliefs they are beautiful and I smudge my house just for good measure LOL

But here is one Native story passed around that is a great one:

An Old Cherokee Tale of Two Wolves

One evening an old Cherokee Indian told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people. He said, ‘My son, the battle is between two ‘wolves’ inside us all.

One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.

The other is good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith.’

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: ‘Which wolf wins?’

The old Cherokee simply replied, ‘The one you feed.’

This is such a lovely story: so simple and yet so true. I think each and every one of us has these two wolves running around inside us. The Evil wolf or the Good Wolf is fed daily by the choices we make with our thoughts. What you think about and dwell upon will in a sense appear in your life and influence your behavior.

We have a choice, feed the Good Wolf and it will show up in our character, habits and behavior positively. Or feed the Evil Wolf and our whole world will turn negative: like poison, this will slowly eat away at our soul.

The crucial question is “Which are you feeding today”?
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options

To me, being spiritual means acknowledging there is a higher power or powers, with many names given by many peoples, that help guide us along our life journeys. I was raised a particular denomination and while I acknowledge my upbringing, I don't necessarily use the same names for powers or rituals that I did as a child but my intent is that of being the best person I can be to myself and others.

This! ^