First obstacle has popped up :(

Options
I've only switched to MFP two days ago. At work, ages ago we arranged an "international lunch" as we are a fairly multi-national bunch of colleagues in the department I work in. One person is even returning from having left the job for the day! As a Yorkshire lass who's been living in Scotland for some time, I'm not quite sure what my contribution will be - yet.

Anyway, everyone has me down as a foodie which is the truth. But I can't face saying to them - ok I'm not clean eating any more, I'm calorie counting now. I think they will laugh at me, kindly, but still laugh! Also I've been looking forward to it. Gah. What to do? I can take something which is low cal, but what to do about respectfully tasting the other peoples' stuff, when it was me that organised the thing?

Replies

• EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    it's one meal, I would say enjoy yourself :) also maybe you can squeeze in a workout before lunch to earn a little more calories?
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Take small portions of everything, reduce calories a few days before and after by 100 to put 500 'in the bank' and enjoy without going crazy.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Taste small amounts. Don't make a mini-meal out of each one.
  • leanne_townsend
    leanne_townsend Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    fab - thanks all. Will do this :)
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    It isn't what you eat, it is how much you eat. Just control yourself and only sample small portions.

No need to tell anyone what you are doing. Let them figure it out when the weight drops off.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Who cares what they think? It's YOUR business what you eat, not theirs.

Pick the things you like, log them and then move on.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    In pot-luck type situations, I only take things I think are really worth it. I don't eat to be polite to other people, I eat to suit my goals...
  • Seigla
    Seigla Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Let them laugh; more than 60% of people in the UK are overweight, so (probably) most of them should follow your example. On the other hand, if people laugh kindly you only add a bit of joy to the world! ;)

My food policy for special events is to just eat what I like and have a good time. I compensate for it afterwards by eating a bit more and eating a bit less in the 1-2 days following the event. Sure, it may slow my weight loss, but what's more important is that I don't frustrate myself. I want to have a positive relation with food; if I obsess over (not) eating than I could get into trouble, like many people around this forum who can't stop losing or gain their weight back after they are "done" losing weight.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It's about the number of calories, not necessarily the food type. Although, I admit that I try to eat clean 99% of the time just because I feel as if my body and mind function better that way. Anyway... at the end of the day this is about you and your journey and who gives a damn what anyone else thinks. Why do you feel you need to offer an explanation? For the record, I work in a department of over 70 people from all ethnic backgrounds. We have department parties and everyone offers their own ethnic dishes... yup, they really want people to try it. I have no problem at all saying "NO" because I don't eat sugar or another ingredient, or it goes over my calories. But if you want to be polite just take a small piece of whatever it is and tell the person you'll try it later. I have done that and then either put it back or just take it home and toss it later. Of course I rave about it to the person who made it LOL!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    But I can't face saying to them - ok I'm not clean eating any more, I'm calorie counting now.

Why do they need to know?
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    It isn't what you eat, it is how much you eat. Just control yourself and only sample small portions.

No need to tell anyone what you are doing. Let them figure it out when the weight drops off.
    This.

BUT- also only take what you actually think you'll enjoy eating. These types of settings are notorious for 'polite'/guilt eating, meaning you feel obligated to eat everything to not hurt someone's feelings. I deal with this every single year at my grandma's birthday potluck sigh.... :p There's nothing wrong with passing on something because you don't think you'll care for it. Chose the foods that look good to you, be mindful of portion sizes and enjoy the event :)
  • jcorvett007
    jcorvett007 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If this was me in your situation, I wouldn't worry to much about it, I think telling yourself that one day eating more calories wont ruin your efforts is way more important than being right on your count for the day. Weight loss is such a psychological battle... I found it the hardest to learn that one day did not mean that I would have to start all over, it just meant a little give and take, I go over my calories for the day.. I walk a little longer or do extra squats. Telling yourself you cant have something is much harder to do, than telling yourself that your proud of what you've been able to do this far and if you want to take a day and go over my calories a little it is not the end of the world. It is human nature to "want" the things we can not have, if your have to keep telling yourself over and over that you can not have, that you can not have that...guess how long that thought stays in your mind..? the entire time your around that food you tell yourself you can not eat. Its like when you get a craving for something.. you crave it until you finally get it and sometimes its never as good or satisfying as you thought it would be. I like Pepsi for example, I have not had it in a long time... there will come a time when I am out for supper and I want it so I get it.. and it tastes nothing like I remembered it did, and I likely wont finish it. If you tell yourself I can have that but just a little...you have a little and move on and forget about it. Hopefully this makes sense to you!
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's any of their business what you choose to eat. If I were you I would just enjoy the meal. Have a little of everything, or just choose the things you like. Enjoy it without going overboard. You have to expect this sort of thing in real life, we can't always plan meticulously what we'll eat. You can do this!
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Just excusses excuses excuses.....you can't worry about what other people think or say as you will be the one to relish the rewards. Remember it's your health not theirs that you are fighting for.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Remember too that if you do indulge a bit, you might see a jump on the scale even if you don't go over maintenance, due to sodium (water retention)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Eat light the rest of the day and take a small portion of everything you want to try. Maybe get some extra exercise.
    You will survive even if you go over your calories a bit one day.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Who cares what other people think. Eat what you want!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    At buffets I fill half my plate with salad then choose three items to try (one heavy on protein). I skip the bun. If I go for dessert, one sweet treat with fruit.
  • leanne_townsend
    leanne_townsend Posts: 43 Member
    Options

BUT- also only take what you actually think you'll enjoy eating.

thanks for all the advice peeps, I didn't go overboard and enjoyed some of the rhubarb tart that I made which was delicious even if I do say so myself! I've been living by the above statement since, Sara. It helped me not get nachos in the cinema yesterday. I usually get nachos and tell myself they're great, but in reality they don't really taste of very much!
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Try something you like. A chicken salad is what I would do or buy a pizza.